MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I hate LEDs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author I hate LEDs
reaganry
Anyone else LED-phobic? I can't deal with all the flashing lights and screens. probably the wrong hobby to take up.
what are your favorite dark modules? what kind of rig have you put together?
NorthBro
hahaha!

Reminds me when i got the MakeNoise TEMPI with all those blingblongblang flashy blinky blue leds. A nightmare when I jam in the night! so I end up to cover with stickers those leds...

I am mostly with you. I hate blue/white LEDs, and my eyes seems to like the red ones. seriously, i just don't get it
commodorejohn
NorthBro wrote:
I am mostly with you. I hate blue/white LEDs, and my eyes seems to like the red ones. seriously, i just don't get it

This. Blue LEDs are a hate crime against eyeballs.
sutekina bipu-on
Dude just clip the leds off. Its so easy. Blue LEDs are unforgivable though.
Pelsea
Pretty.....pretty........

I like them when they convey essential information. I’m not bothered by bright ones, but my eyes aren’t so good and I always work in a well lit room.
wiperactive
I'm casing up 30+ Analogue Systems modules which are noticeably free of LEDs, only showing up where necessary such as LFO rate and envelope trigger indicators at small size and low intensities. These modules sound great as well.
chvad
I like Doepfer for their minimal use of LED's (on most modules). Super bright blue and white one really really irritate me. No screens on modules for me. I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLVEQCO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work best with recessed LED's. They are all over my PEG and QCD. Made all the difference in the world.
lisa
I have no issues with LEDs, they never bother me. I do have some modules without LEDs the would really benefit from having some, though. LFOs, VCAs, etc.
chaocrator
+1 to blue LEDs haters club.
my favorite are green.
HerrX
Blue, white and UV LEDs all stress my eyes. The more different colored LEDs I see, the more I like red.
Blairio
I don't have an issue with anything that provides useful information on: system status, lfo speed, trigger events. Some LEDs however are just too bright, and bright cobalt blue LEDs really suck. My otherwise perfect WMD SSF Spectrum VCO is plagued by these. Most of them don't even flash - they are on all the time.

As a basic rule, perhaps LEDs should not be incorporated into a module's design unless they include the means to dim them. It will add to the cost but (I reckon) also add to a module's usability and desirability.

As another poster pointed out, Doepfer gets this right. Their designers seem to go for the minimum number of LEDs to do the job, and the colours are not too intrusive.
porphyrion
Indoors, I recommend orange 'Blue Light-blocker-glasses' as the easiest although still non-optimal solution to deal with the unfortunate wildgrowth of overly bright and Blue LEDs on current modules.

Also add to this an Infrared-lamp in the background to add those particular light frequencies. Nothing beats the sun, it's the only source of light we are truly accustomed to over billions of years! (but only without sunscreen, glasses, lenses and not from behind glass since this also makes blue light more dominant and cuts out the best part of the UV-spectum)...

It is no coincidence there are so many musicians struggling with many health issues and addiction to cope with a bad environment (their studio, which is cut-off from direct sunlight)...

Jon Ott wrote a book on the effects of light on our metabolism and health, it's a good place to start. Kids in school got more ADHD when exposed to just artifical light... He was writing in the sixties and we still haven't learned... Prior to artificial lighting there were far less chronic diseases such as diabetes, (colon)cancer, obesity, etc.
nectarios
One of my favorite things is going blind when making a sequence on my Andy Pledger x0xb0x with blue LEDs...which I specifically asked for when I just didn't know any better.

Joking aside, I like some LEDs where they provide useful information...I also just like LEDs, but yeah, not too many.
oldgearguy
There's also the problem for those of us that have varying degrees of color weakness/blindness -- the tri-color LEDs (specifically the orange/green/red) can be of certain intensity of brightness/saturation such that I can't easily tell if it's orange or green or red. Some of my gear I had to swap out the stock ones for a purple/white/yellow combo or add resistors to lower the intensity to allow more of the color to be apparent.

You'd think gear designers (mostly male) building gear for a (mostly male) audience would understand that the incidence of color issues are more prevalent in their target audience.

Blue LEDs in any intensity should be banished. That's one of the main reasons I sold a PolyEvolver after buying it - it hurt my eyes to use it for an extended period of time.
Panason
chvad wrote:
I like Doepfer for their minimal use of LED's (on most modules). Super bright blue and white one really really irritate me. No screens on modules for me. I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLVEQCO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, something to cover laptop/selfie cameras with that is not an ugly piece of tape!
francoprussian
Panason wrote:
chvad wrote:

Finally, something to cover laptop/selfie cameras with that is not an ugly piece of tape!

Just what i was thinking!
chvad
Panason wrote:
chvad wrote:

hahaha! that’d be cool BUT THESE ARE TRANSLUCENT. maybe two of them stacked... which is what i had to do on my API pre’s. brightest blue led’s i’ve ever seen. brutal.
nodog
chvad wrote:

They work best with recessed LED's. They are all over my PEG and QCD. Made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for the tip. also available in Europe. Ordered!

Weird thing is that you'd expect the cheapest stuff would have the worst leds but no, the most expensive outboard unit I have has the worst case of blue leds. (I'm looking at you Blackbox HG2, and getting blinded in the process)
Randy
There are diffused blue LEDs I use sometimes and they seem to be fine. I also "diffuse" other LEDs by carefully using a file or Dremel to take the shine off the front.

If you don't like LEDs, do not get into Eurorack! I sometimes patch my rack with the sound off just to see how many LEDs I can get going at the same time.
h4ndcrafted
I’m not a huge fan , they should all come with dimmers.

I found dark pink ones to be the least offensive.
Mark11Audio
waah waah waah

You guys must really hate me then !!!

I absolutely HATE RED LED's... angry angry angry and pay extra to have them swapped out for what are classified as "cool colors" in the spectrum, Blue, Green and Purple...

bitflip
commodorejohn wrote:
NorthBro wrote:

This. Blue LEDs are a hate crime against eyeballs.

Red light doesn't degrade night vision the way other colors do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purkinje_effect
Zenn
Mark11Audio wrote:
You guys must really hate me then !!!

Not you, just your LEDs
Mark11Audio wrote:
I absolutely HATE RED LED's... angry angry angry and pay extra to have them swapped out for what are classified as "cool colors" in the spectrum, Blue, Green and Purple...

Panason
Randy wrote:

If you don't like LEDs, do not get into Eurorack! .

That's one of many reasons I can think of, wanting to actually make music being another one twisted

Seriously folks, don't use blue LEDs. They were never cool- just look at all those tacky chinese PC peripherals.

Use purple, and shades of red for cool looks- pink, orange. low intensity white is also pretty cool.

A wiggler must have style .
mycoST
I'm with you on this one. My issues are mostly with guitar pedals, my Demeter compressor pedal with a blue LED fries my eyes. The LED is so strong I see the blue light strongly in the ceiling. And don't get me started on Behringer pedals, ok they have red LEDs, but they make it impossible to read the knob writings..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3