ES-9 with line level out

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

bradw
Learning to Wiggle

ES-9 with line level out

Post by bradw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:09 pm

I understand that the ES-9's 3.5mm outputs are designed to send audio / cv into a modular setup. Would it be a bad idea to instead use the internal mixer to attenuate each output and then send audio to an external mixing board?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:00 am

You could do that. No need to use the internal mixer though - just attenuate it in the DAW before sending it out to the ES-9.

If indeed you need to. Many mixers will take modular level signals perfectly happily.

bradw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bradw » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks Os,

I have to say I'm still cautious as there seems to be an idea that Line level and Eurorack level signals should be kept in their own "worlds". Is that just a pro-audio / gain staging kind of best practice? I thought there is a risk that gear can blow up if the levels are too hot.

Do you have any tips on how to tell if my mixer will take the signals happily, or not?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 am

Do you have the tech specs for the mixer?

There's an easy test though. Connect a VCO or something to the mixer, via an attenuator. Start fully attenuated. Turn it up until it starts distorting. That's your maximum level. If it doesn't distort, the mixer can handle it.

bradw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bradw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Great suggestion about the test. I tried it and no clipping. Looks like the maximum input for my mixer is +28 dBu, which is just under 20 Volts, so plenty of room given Eurorack's maximum 10V

For anyone else here, there's a thread that has lots of examples of people using external mixers in a similar way: viewtopic.php?t=157421

:chug:

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:09 am

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I’m a new user, so I can’t create new thread.

Just got my es-9, what an amazing module.
The only thing I’m missing is a physical knob for the main outs, now I risk blowing my speakers if I connect it directly to my monitors. A feature request from me would be that if you press the phones level knob, it would switch to attenuate the main outs.
Then I could use it as my only sound card with no external mixer on my mini rack/iPad setup.
Now I use the phones out, and I’m fortunate that my speakers can take line in, but it would be much better to be able to use the balanced out.

Don’t know if it’s possible, just sharing some thoughts.
Es-9, amazing module, I’m so impressed, luv it.

Regards Bob

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am

You could use the config tool to lower the main output level (in the mixer).

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Ah, didn’t think about that, thanx for the reply. Very flexible module

leeboiacid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leeboiacid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:20 am

I think that there should be a warning not to directly connect the ES-9 to your monitors without changing the levels in the config tool (maybe there is somewhere but I missed it). I naively did this and shat myself when sound came out. Luckily my monitors were OK.

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Line level in

Post by Durdee » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Kind of a reverse question... I know I can plug line level devices into the ES-9, and my trick has been to use duplicate tracks in AUM sent to a single bus so that I don’t have to mess with using a preamp module or extra gain in the DAW when I’m mixing modular and line level stuff together. Does that seem like the best way to do it? Or should i whip up an amplifier circuit? I’m just not super knowledgeable about gain staging, i guess.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:34 am

Not sure what you mean by 'duplicate tracks'.

If adding gain in software sounds good to your ears, do that. No need to spend money & space on a hardware amp if it's not actually solving a problem.

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 pm

@Durdee, there are lots of gain auv3 models that work in AUM, I use the “gain pan” audiounit that comes with apeMatrix. I don’t use apeMatrix that much, but it has a few quite good plugins that come with it, gain pan, and a quite good oscilloscope

Bobbfett
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbfett » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am

Just wanted to add that im thinking of buing an Behringer MONITOR1 Passiv Monitor Kontroller. For me it will be perfekt for when Im away from my computer, just using my euro and es-9, ipad, monitors, and Its really cheap.
Just thinking about u guys trying to connect it directly to your monitors, and if u dont have any mixer. I also changed the gain of the channel 1 and 2 to a good line level in the internal mixer of es-9.
Fantastic module.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”