MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Another "what to buy next" thread with an unorigin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Another "what to buy next" thread with an unorigin
sjbucks
I'm looking to spend around £600 on some new modules and can't decide what to go for. I wondered if I could get some suggestions? First of all, here's my current rack:

I also have a 0-Coast, Dreadbox Erebus, and a Koma Field Kit FX. These all integrate nicely with my system. I'm using their various LFOs, function generators, mixers etc.

I'm running it into pedals (TC Flashback II Delay, an EHX looper, a Digtech looper, and Specular Tempus reverb). I have a Keystep, a Beatstep Pro, and a Korg SQ1 for sequencing. I'm tending towards the SQ1 and Marbles for most of my sequencing at the moment, as the KS/BSP take up a lot of table room when I'm playing live.

I have an external mixer too.

The music I make is sort of cosmic ambient drone stuff. It's delicate at times, but it does get intense and heavy, in an blissfully zoned out kind of way. It's usually pretty slow, but there are faster sequences in there. Imagine the Vangelis track at the start of Carl Sagan's Cosmos, but slower. Imagine Abul Mogard tripping balls.

Artists I am influenced by include M Geddes Gengras, Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe, Gardener, Teleplasmiste, Luke Sanger - plus I do enjoy a lot of the Youtube Influencer Rings-into-Clouds type stuff, and that possibly goes into my sound somewhat too.

I have about £600. What would you get?

Things I have considered:

Maths - Obviously. My concern here is that I already have most of the things in it already, from the 0-Coast and various utility modules.

Pressure Points - I love the idea of interacting with my system in this way, and I do often have "played" elements in my live set (hence all the loop pedals). My problem here would be ergonomics. The way my case is set up with the semi-modular stuff in front of it wouldn't really allow me to use it very comfortably. I think I'd ideally want to have this in a separate skiff at some point in the future, which I can have closer to hand.

Morphagene - I think this would open up a whole new set of options for me in terms of composition, which is one of the things that drew me to Eurorack in the first place - a different way of composing other than the standard sequencer or keyboard. My doubts on this one are that it's expensive and I'm scared to blow the whole lot on a single module. Also not sure how well it would sit sound-wise with what I already have?

Phonogene - I was considering this as a poor man's Morphagene. Get this an another module to go with it. I don't think it would have the same composition possibilities though, especially since it's buffer size is so small. The lo-fi sound is quite cool, but I'm concerned it might get a bit lost in all the other sounds I have going on - things tend to get pretty dense around here.

Mannequins w/ - again, considered it as a poor man's Morphagene. But I read the website description and the thread on here and it basically scared me off it. I like a bit of unpredictability in my live sets, but not that much.

Mimeophone - I already have a delay, do I really need this?

The reason there's so much Make Noise on here is that I can't usually afford it!

So, with all that in mind, can anyone suggest anything that they think may complement my rack/sound that would be a better use of my money? Or have any comments about my thoughts on the modules above?

Thanks in advance for your insight and wisdom!
Agawell
I wouldn't be too concerned about doubling up on the functions of maths - take a look at the illustrated manual - it is way way more than the sum of it's parts

you could try to find a used morphagene/phonogene/mannequins /w - should save you a few quid - and not cost you much if you decide you don't like it after all

BUT you say your mixes are very dense - maybe some vcas (I like veils) would help - or some eq/filtering - and some attenuators for adjusting modulation on clouds

also if it were me I'd add a kinks and a disting mk4 asap
Foghorn
"I'm looking to spend around £600" is a bad way to approach the situation.
I realize that the above statement is just a description of your financial limit at this time, but

What function do you need?

You seem drawn to Make Noise, but also have some powerful Mutable instruments modules.

What about Tides?
Tides is a multipurpose function generator but also goes up to audio frequency so it acts as an audio oscillator that tracks 1V/octave well and has 4 simultaneous outputs.

Mutable instruments Grids is a powerful rhythm trigger generator.
Pairing Grids with a percussion voice can make a great "beat" that backs up your other voices.
Grids does not have to run fast, run it slowly and it does not sound like a conventional drum kit plus the triggers are useful for many modules.
Look at Plaits, it has a trigger input, as as does Rings and Clouds.

You could use any LFO to clock both Grids and Marbles, tying your whole synth together.

Also, I personally like the A-106 SEM filter.
It is the first filter I bought.
But maybe consider another type of filter also.
The second filter I bought was an A-120 low pass filter, but there are many filters out there.
Maybe ask, "What filter do I need to add?"

Also, a small sequencer might be very useful in your system.
I like the Ladik S-141, S142 and S-143 sequencers.
Take a look at them.

Well, I hope this helped a little.

Foghorn

EDIT: Talking specific modules, start with maybe 2 of the 2hp trim modules.
One on either side of Clouds. Maybe even one more in the case, they are only US$35 Ea.
Another 2hp module I really like is ARP. It also requires a clock (along with Marbles) so maybe another LFO to act as a clock or 2hp CLK module (no I do not work for 2hp).
I have and like a Ladik C-410 clock module, and I also like my Ladik U-070 Tap Tempo module, plus they both have built in clock dividers.
The U-070 will do divide by 2, 3 or 4 but the C-410 has a "musical" clock division setting (musical?...see modulargrid description)
Finally, with Plaits, Rings and Clouds, you already need a mixer. There are allot of small mixers, I like the Manhatton Analog MIX

EDIT 2: I didn't realize O-Coast had a tap tempo button, plus O-Coast gives you quite a bit of functionality including a midi input. very cool device
Mount the O-Coast in your rack and call it almost done. hmmm.....
EATyourGUITAR
If I were you, I would be concerned with selling off the desktops and buying more euro. I would also put a stop to buying more DSP digital effects in euro maybe with the exception of VCO. There are some great digital VCO's out there. My brain hurts trying to juggle euro with standalone boxes. Your rack is not bad. I think just keep going with VCO, a quadra, quadra expander. I don't think maths is for you since it is mostly just basic synth voices anyway. My personal favorite is eventide space way better than clouds. They are not exactly the same but there is some overlap. I would delete clouds but you said that is your sound so don't change it if it makes you happy.
MarcelP
I have about £600. What would you get?

I would get:

A matrix mixer - Doepfer 138m because mixing up modulation and routing it around at different levels is really cheap creative fun.

More VCAs (Veils) - because you want a bit of automated control over the inputs/outputs of your new matrix mixer

Pressure Points - because it is nice to step through some pre-sets (that are easy to twiddle live) when you are playing live - maybe use it to control your new VCAs that are connected to your new matrix mixer.

Maybe Mutible Instruments Stages because it offers a number of functions (some of them simultaneously) that might be useful and has a nice playable interface for live work.

I think that might be around £600...?
Stashy
Foghorn wrote:
I realize that the above statement is just a description of your financial limit at this time, but

[size=14]What function do you need?[/size

Pairing Grids with a percussion voice can make a great "beat" that backs up your other voices.
Grids does not have to run fast, run it slowly and it does not sound like a conventional drum kit plus the triggers are useful for many modules.
ast gives hmmm.....

I thought I remembered hearing the left side of marbles can do the same thing.
Muff McMuff
I have been making a lot of field recordings with my Tascam DR05 and using them with the sample playback functions on the Disting Mk4. Really enjoyable and adds another dimension to my rack.

So same as you i would love a Morphagene but it has big price. The Phonogene is very cool and go for less than £200 secondhand regular in the UK. I almost bought one last week for £160 but the 2 second recording time stopped me. I am thinking after being used to the huge sample playback time and storage on the Disting its better to skip the Phonogene and aim for a Nebulea V1 (also can be found cheap) or better still the Nebulae V2. My thinking is that £160 Phonogene cash is better used going towards a Nebulae.

If i had £600 to spend the Nebulea V2 would be my choice over a Morphagene. However the Instruo Arbor? is about to come out and looks very interesting. I believe it will cost less than a Morphagene.

So after all that rambling i would make a Instruo Arbhar pre order and get Doepfer matrix mixer with the change.
cptnal
If you think you have Maths' functionality covered you should get a Maths*.

*Other DUSG-inspired modules are available.
sjbucks
Foghorn wrote:

What function do you need?

You seem drawn to Make Noise, but also have some powerful Mutable instruments modules.

What about Tides?
Tides is a multipurpose function generator but also goes up to audio frequency so it acts as an audio oscillator that tracks 1V/octave well and has 4 simultaneous outputs.

You could use any LFO to clock both Grids and Marbles, tying your whole synth together.

Also, I personally like the A-106 SEM filter.
It is the first filter I bought.
But maybe consider another type of filter also.
The second filter I bought was an A-120 low pass filter, but there are many filters out there.
Maybe ask, "What filter do I need to add?"

Also, a small sequencer might be very useful in your system.
I like the Ladik S-141, S142 and S-143 sequencers.
Take a look at them.

Well, I hope this helped a little.

Foghorn

EDIT: Talking specific modules, start with maybe 2 of the 2hp trim modules.
One on either side of Clouds. Maybe even one more in the case, they are only US$35 Ea.
Another 2hp module I really like is ARP. It also requires a clock (along with Marbles) so maybe another LFO to act as a clock or 2hp CLK module (no I do not work for 2hp).
I have and like a Ladik C-410 clock module, and I also like my Ladik U-070 Tap Tempo module, plus they both have built in clock dividers.
The U-070 will do divide by 2, 3 or 4 but the C-410 has a "musical" clock division setting (musical?...see modulargrid description)
Finally, with Plaits, Rings and Clouds, you already need a mixer. There are allot of small mixers, I like the Manhatton Analog MIX

EDIT 2: I didn't realize O-Coast had a tap tempo button, plus O-Coast gives you quite a bit of functionality including a midi input. very cool device
Mount the O-Coast in your rack and call it almost done. hmmm.....

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I think if I had to narrow down what I'm looking for specifically it would be some kind of compositional element. Something I could tweak and "play", something that would help generate new ideas and new ways of working. Something I can interact with.

That's why Pressure Points was high on my list. But I think I'd want that in a separate, smaller case which I can have a bit closer to me. I currently have the modular case standing with the semi-modular stuff in front of it. I'd want something like Pressure Points to be closer to me so I could interact with it easily.

That's why I also like the idea of Morphagene - something I can use to generate new sounds/ideas that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

I'm not really interested in Grids - I've got that functionality on the left hand side of Marbles afaik, and I don't really use it. Tides however, is definitely something I will investigate further!

An additional sequencer is also something I've considered, again, from the generating ideas perspective. I can get a lot out of Marbles, the SQ1, plus the Ladik Random and Quantizer, but I could definitely benefit from more. Again, I might want that a bit closer to me for interaction, so perhaps the way to go is to look for a small skiff for sequencing/playing?

I'll definitely be getting another small mixer, plus something with CV controllable panning. I've found some Ladik options here which I'm pretty much set on.

Thanks again!
sjbucks
Muff McMuff wrote:
I have been making a lot of field recordings with my Tascam DR05 and using them with the sample playback functions on the Disting Mk4. Really enjoyable and adds another dimension to my rack.

So same as you i would love a Morphagene but it has big price. The Phonogene is very cool and go for less than £200 secondhand regular in the UK. I almost bought one last week for £160 but the 2 second recording time stopped me. I am thinking after being used to the huge sample playback time and storage on the Disting its better to skip the Phonogene and aim for a Nebulea V1 (also can be found cheap) or better still the Nebulae V2. My thinking is that £160 Phonogene cash is better used going towards a Nebulae.

If i had £600 to spend the Nebulea V2 would be my choice over a Morphagene. However the Instruo Arbor? is about to come out and looks very interesting. I believe it will cost less than a Morphagene.

So after all that rambling i would make a Instruo Arbhar pre order and get Doepfer matrix mixer with the change.

I've never looked into the Nebulae or the Arbhar - I will do pronto!

That matrix mixer has been in and out of my test rack on Modular Grid for months. It just takes up so much space so I'm a bit afraid of it. But yeah it's worth looking into again.
sjbucks
Thanks for all the replies, you've given me lots of food for thought.

Please note, the forum shortened my thread title - it should have said "with an unoriginal title" but that part was cut off, making me look like an idiot.

A few people mentioned attenuation for Clouds. It's weird, I've hardly really needed that. I think a few of the modulation source I have already have attenuation (like the Erebus LFO) and I do already have 2 attenuators and 2 linear VCAs to the left of it, which seem to cover my needs in that respect. I tend to use it more to sample speech/music and turn it into drony textures, rather than as a reverb/delay.

I'm now considering getting a small powered skiff case that I can put Pressure Points and maybe another sequencer in. That way I can have a bit more hands on control, in a place that's more accessible to me.
ProgRocket
How about something completely different if you want more hands-on to modulate your cosmic ambient drones. An Intellijel Planar. It's also a CV recorder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1