MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Me needs some ribbons!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Me needs some ribbons!
rimbod
The time has come. I need yet another power source.

tl;dr, Lookin for flying bus cables and maybe some power recommendations.

I got a Blackhole Cases Sub Six, which is the perfect size for what I'm using it for. And it's only really suitable for flying bus cable powering, cos it's somewhat shallow.

And I've been using my ancient uZeus from the HEK I got to start into Eurorack with to power it. Of course, it works really well, but I'm starting into DIY and would like to use that uZeus and HEK for powering/testing what I make, so I'm in the market for a new power source.

And I've all but settled on the Synthrotek Super Power (lots of power, got a USB plug out front for the BSP, good review, cool panel design).

BUT, and now here's the kicker, every time I go to Synthrotek to put a purchase together, I see the flying bus cables are out of stock. So I put off purchasing the Super Power, thinkin I'll order one when bus cables are back in. And I've done that dance several times now, each time thinking, "If only I knew a place in Vancouver that had those cables, cos I'd just go pick them up."

So, Item number one: Do you know of any flying bus ribbon power systems you might recommend besides the Super Power that has a USB on the panel? But more importantly,

Item number two: Where the heck does one order flying bus cables from even?
sutekina bipu-on
I've bought flying bus cables on ebay a lot. loose on ebay used or new from a distributor. You could also crimp some ribbon cables yourself.
rimbod
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
You could also crimp some ribbon cables yourself.

I wouldn't mind doing this. I'll do a search for what I need and where I should get it, but if someone already knows, plz lemme know.
sutekina bipu-on
rimbod wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
You could also crimp some ribbon cables yourself.

I wouldn't mind doing this. I'll do a search for what I need and where I should get it, but if someone already knows, plz lemme know.

It’s pretty easy. You can buy IDC ribbon cable in bulk very cheap and load up on connectors (aka box headers) presumably the “male” socketed type. Then you just buy a crimping tool (or use pliers) and crunch down the sockets where you want them. You’d do well to get a cable tester or at the least check for shorts with a multimeter. Now go buy some IDC ribbon cable and make me proud.

PS nothing is stopping you from using 10 wire ribbon cable if you never use bus gate/cv/5v.
sir stony
Or you could just hop over to https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17 and find a builder there who will make you some to your own specs...
Shouldn't cost you much, either, as for someone with material and tools avaible, this is a job of just a few minutes.
rimbod
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Now go buy some IDC ribbon cable and make me proud.

I WANNA MAKE YOU PROUD <ECSTATICALLY WEEPING EMOJI>

Gimme a little bit, I will report back!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1