MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moving to Denmark - Help me downsize my rack!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  

104HP rack tough choice: pick one module
Planar2
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Rings
46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Belgrad
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Just Friends
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 43

Author Moving to Denmark - Help me downsize my rack!
cg_funk
So, I recently found that I'm moving my whole family from Los Angeles to Denmark - this upcoming January. I'm going to be relocating for about a year to Aarhus. :-) Aarhus is a really cool city, it'll be so nice to get out of the smog basin, but in order to get there it's clear that I cannot bring my entire synth!

I built this wonderful case out of 1-inch thick cherry hardwood over the past year.. As much as I love it, it weighs a ton and there's no way that its going into a luggage bin. Shipping it is probably also out of the question. It'll have to live in storage at my in-laws' .

So, my current solution is to move some modules to a new Intellijel 7U 104HP case that I'll bring in my carry-on luggage. I already have the case.

If you had these modules, which ones would you pick to put into a 104HP case?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/992586

Here's what I am imagining doing:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1012849
I'm also considering getting a Generate3 and swapping out my PittsburghLifeforms.. swapping out wavefolding for TZFM... it's a tough call.

What do you all think? I really need some advice.

Also, are there any wigglers out in Aarhus?
cptnal
Congratulations! Sounds like an exciting move. Guinness ftw!

You're obviously of a more drummy/rhythmic tendency than I am, so I leave those details to others. My thoughts would be to ditch Rings and keep Maths, but you've already done that. thumbs up

I take it the performance mixer is an integral part. Looks like a big hp investment...
lisa
Rings, no doubt. Rings is such a beautiful sound source. I would have gotten into eurorack years earlier if I had known about Rings. Lotsa Love
Tonescape
Welcome to Denmark w00t Moving to another country is a great learning experience, did it myself some years ago.

Let me know if you wanna jam or need tips for Aarhus, which is a really nice city.
neonmercury1
TBH i know its not your question but i would ditch the perfomance mixer in this small of a rack and get a mackie vlz or a zed mixer. they are easy to come by when you arrive and it will allow you more choice with your case.
oilpanic
I recently shipped two pallets of stuff to Sweden and I think the total cost for both of them was about a grand. A single pallet would be about half, but the price would drop considerably if you can deliver it yourself to the shipping company. Just getting it picked up at my house was a large part of my cost. I would seriously look into just shipping it on a pallet. The pallet has to have the wheat symbol, and it needs to be fully enclosed in OSB. There can not be any untreated wood in the enclosure and the synth would qualify as household goods that you are allowed to bring with you as you move to the EU. You will need to have a permanent address that you can register with the customs but there should be no taxes on the things you bring.
pekbro
Nice, half my family originates in Denmark, though I've never been.

I would dump the mixer and the rest of the big modules except maths,
and cut down on some of the utility stuff and function generators
if it were me. I'd also try to make a related system, e.g. noise engineering
+ joranalogue etc...
Severed head
Wild!!
I’d say keep the modules you use the least and store/sell the ones you lean on more.
For all the obvious reasons.
BogartDestructo
Out of interest are you left handed? I am and your module layout makes it look like your rig would be a dream to play/patch for us lefties.
electricanada
Sweet case. My diy cases all look like something fished out of the dumpster behind a Mexican charity shop.
Severed head
BogartDestructo wrote:
Out of interest are you left handed? I am and your module layout makes it look like your rig would be a dream to play/patch for us lefties.

Can I ask why / how that makes a difference in patching ?
For right/left hand dominant
cg_funk
Thanks for the ideas everyone. There were a lot of interesting replys, so I'll just group my responses here:

cptnal wrote:
I take it the performance mixer is an integral part. Looks like a big hp investment...

The mixer is fairly new to my rack.. I got it just before finding out about the move. But I DO like it. Oh boy it has opened up my rack in ways I could not have imagined before getting it. It is a lot of HP indeed...

Tonescape wrote:
Welcome to Denmark w00t Moving to another country is a great learning experience, did it myself some years ago.

Let me know if you wanna jam or need tips for Aarhus, which is a really nice city.

Awesome! I think that would be totally fun to jam Eurorack in Europe. Part of why I want to bring it.

oilpanic wrote:
I recently shipped two pallets of stuff to Sweden and I think the total cost for both of them was about a grand.

Yeah, if I end up moving permanently I'll def do this. But I don't think it's worth it for only a year, I'll just have to ship it back to the USA in the end.

Severed head wrote:
Wild!!
I’d say keep the modules you use the least and store/sell the ones you lean on more.
For all the obvious reasons.

I like this advice! I have been leaning rather heavily on my Numeric Repetitor for a long time, and it is not going into the travel case. Time to program my own beats.

BogartDestructo wrote:

Nope. Not a leftie. I like the left-side pad, it makes sense to me.. A lot like piano, chords and expression come from the left hand. Right hand controls the mixer.
nios
There are miniaturized versions of Rings (as small as 8hp); they're not as elegant, aesthetic or tactile to use, but will get the job done and give much more leeway to finding a place to fit.

The performance mixer is nice but really, really stretches its legs out in a 104HP case, and truthfully is a function that can be served quite well outside the rig. There are also smaller options that can mix/pan things like Verbos Scan & Pan or Roland System 500 531.

It's also possible to get one of those 4ms Pods, which go up to 60hp (about the size of a compact keyboard) to stuff a few more essentials into, provided they can fit in that shallow depth. Unfortunately that mixer is too tall for the 60hp, which could have been paired with the Tetrapad and be functionally an ideal control station and really open up the 7U, but at least they do make a 48HP deeper version now as well.
EdJ
Slightly off topic but welcome to DK smile If you ever make it over to Copenhagen there's a little modular club http://danskmodular.dk/ that's worth stopping in for wink

Also some advice RE shipping things over - if you don't do it quite soon after you arrive (I think 1 year?) then the DK government will make you pay tax on whatever you ship, even if you've owned it for years very frustrating feel free to PM questions on stuff like this.

On the rack front, I'd focus on varied sound sources and multi-function modules to maximise on space - the 7u you put together looks pretty damn interesting but I agree that mixer seems overkill for the number of sound sources tbh - xaoc praga might be a better fit if you need a stereo mixer? (and don't mind dropping the $ smile )
Gaetan
Difficult to help with the downsizing considering how huge your current rack is, so I just want to way welcome to Aarhus ! I live 50km away, it's a really great city.

How do you sequence your rack ? Also don't forget that you can also buy stuff here.
cg_funk
EdJ wrote:
Slightly off topic but welcome to DK smile If you ever make it over to Copenhagen there's a little modular club http://danskmodular.dk/ that's worth stopping in for wink

Also some advice RE shipping things over - if you don't do it quite soon after you arrive (I think 1 year?) then the DK government will make you pay tax on whatever you ship, even if you've owned it for years very frustrating feel free to PM questions on stuff like this.

On the rack front, I'd focus on varied sound sources and multi-function modules to maximise on space - the 7u you put together looks pretty damn interesting but I agree that mixer seems overkill for the number of sound sources tbh - xaoc praga might be a better fit if you need a stereo mixer? (and don't mind dropping the $ smile )

Will check it out if I manage to make it to Copenhagen!

I know the mixer is a bit of a white elephant for this rack, but I also do have quite a few sound sources packed in (BIA, Fracture, Sinc Iter, Lifeforms, Noise) and I manage to use most of the channels anyways. I got this intended for my full 14U case just before learning I was moving abroad... whatcha gonna do.. ha ha! seriously, i just don't get it

I already maxed my budget out buying the 7U travel case. In another year the whole synth will be put back together, I hope..

Thanks for the advice re: shipping to DK. I would not like to get stuck paying VAT on a fully-filled eurorack! If I decide to stay more than a year I'll likely bring the other half of the modules in a carry-on in my 7U and ship the empty DIY racks along with my other furniture...

Gaetan wrote:
welcome to Aarhus ! I live 50km away, it's a really great city.

How do you sequence your rack ? Also don't forget that you can also buy stuff here.

Thanks! :-) I am looking forward to all of the spring-time festivals in Aarhus!

So, I have the Steppy 1U gate sequencer and three clock dividers, and that's basically what drives everything on my rack. But yeah, there is no traditional pitch-CV sequencer in rack... I found that I don't like to spend any more than 2 seconds focusing on programming sequences into interfaces.

I sequence my pitch mostly by patching now and find it's much easier to get complex patterns than by programming in every note:
1) I run a bunch of different LFOs into a mixer or ring modulator and quantize.
2) I play a melody on the Tetrapad and record it into the three channels of Mimetic Sequent, and then I can slowly randomize them over time - or resample new notes.
3) I'll set up some LFOs to play into the Mimetic Sequent and record some different arpeggios. Then I'll play chords from Tetrapad and use the root to transpose Quantimator. So basically, transpose patterns from the Mimetic.
4) Send triggers to Just Friends in Transient/Shape mode, and quantize the MIX output.
Muff McMuff
If you fly British Airways you can normally purchase an extra bag at 23kg for 60 euros. Hand luggage can weigh 23kg but has the obvious size restrictions. This is for each passenger if you are flying as a family.
tsn
I can't really help you with the downsizing.

But since you also asked about that I live in Aarhus. It's a great city. For me it has a good size: large enough to have some interesting sights, events and restaurants and but not so large that it gets overwhelming and hard to get around. But compared to LA it is cold and wet. Especially in January where it's also quite dark.

It should be possible for you to get to Copenhagen in the span of an year. Denmark is quite small it is less than 3 hours by train.
BlinkyLights
I couldn't give up a Belgrad, Just Friends, and a Rings after having them already. Too much goodness in tbose three, to me.

Sorry, not very helpful I suppose.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1