MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

getting old in front of the modular.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author getting old in front of the modular.
MvK
cheers,

I just figured that I will need another 500 years or so to appreciate my modular fully. There are maybe another 25 billion patches I didn't try. :-)

Getting old of course comes with some little itches. Eyesight is diminishing, 16kHz isn't there anymore at some point and so on. I guess thats life.

what are your experiences with that? is it getting impossible at some point? are there strategies to circumvent that other than trying to be as healthy as possible?

What kind of changes in behavior could help? Only big knobs? a change to 5U? More loudness?

I'd love to read your thoughts about this.
Jumbuktu
Ha ha! I turned 67 last April, so your post rang a bell with me!

Definitely eyesight issues. I will probably need cataract surgery soon (the cost will eat into cash available for more modules!) and I find it difficult to read the text on some modules. It doesn't affect the use of my system much, but my DIY capabilities have taken a hit. I still managed to successfully complete a few SMD projects earlier this year.

On the positive side, one does have more time free to use the system - although I am still working 4 days a week and we have a large family with babysitting duties chewing up some hours. Again on the positive side, a couple of our older grandchildren are interested in my music projects (both modular and acoustic) so it's fun passing on my hobbies.

As far as fitness goes, I run about 10k a week (another hobby that I am sharing with interested grandchildren) and I just started cycling for the first time in my life. Hopefully that will keep me fit and flexible enough to play music for a bit longer.
Blairio
I am just shy of 60, and thankfully eyesight (corrected by glasses) is still ok, and my well worn hearing is standing up pretty good as well.

What I have noticed is a growing impatience with menu diving - damn those menus!

I have a number of excellent 'complex' oscillators which are essentially microcomputers sat behind a faceplate, Each can be a complete synth voice, but these days I tend to reach first for my basic analog VCOs.

Also, I went through a phase to trying to cram functionality into every spare HP in my racks. This led to the purchase of a number of 2HP wide modules. Some (such as 2HP's Arpeggiator, or Qu-BIts Eon) are pretty great, but generally I weary of the tiny trim pots and general lack of space. Also, while those skinny modules' are often not cheaper than their full size cousins, the build quality and robustness is lacking.

I would like to move to a larger format, but realistically that isn't going to happen - I have too much invested in euro rack, both in terms of time and money. Instead, I will gradually swap out skinny wee mal-nourished modules for full size ones, and trade my micro-processor based oscillators for simpler analog (or digital) ones. All except for Mutable Intruments Plaits, which is a simple joy to use.
PhineasFreak
in the last 5yrs ive completely lost the ability to read resistors, ic's and caps and other tiny stoopd writing on things, tho thankfully i havent lost any hearing range except a slight loss off abiltity to percieve change in pitch of a tone over 19khz

[had this conversation 2days ago so i tested myself - still cant figure out how so many years of techno havent done more damage...]
Pighood
All y’all get off my lawn angry
Dcramer
you kids get off my lawn
Jumbuktu
PhineasFreak wrote:
in the last 5yrs ive completely lost the ability to read resistors, ic's and caps and other tiny stoopd writing on things, tho thankfully i havent lost any hearing range except a slight loss off abiltity to percieve change in pitch of a tone over 19khz

[had this conversation 2days ago so i tested myself - still cant figure out how so many years of techno havent done more damage...]

I have one of those giant magnifying glasses on a stand with a LED light ring - I can now read even the tiniest writing in faded grey on a cap or IC. I never could read resistor colour codes anyway - that's what my multimeter is for.
PhineasFreak
Jumbuktu wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:

I have one of those giant magnifying glasses on a stand with a LED light ring - I can now read even the tiniest writing in faded grey on a cap or IC. I never could read resistor colour codes anyway - that's what my multimeter is for.

now add up the time spent measuing each and every resistor yo ever used in your ebntire life compared to just reading it having learned the code system - and subtract from your age - you'd probly still be able to see well! \o/
Jumbuktu
PhineasFreak wrote:

now add up the time spent measuing each and every resistor yo ever used in your ebntire life compared to just reading it having learned the code system - and subtract from your age - you'd probly still be able to see well! \o/

smile
necrobious
About to turn 44. Last month, working on a new DIY build, reading the label on a Mouser component bag, I misread 180K for 100K. I had hand-soldered soldered 32 SMD 0603 resistors before realizing my mistake d'oh!
Bartelby
necrobious wrote:
About to turn 44. Last month, working on a new DIY build, reading the label on a Mouser component bag, I misread 180K for 100K. I had hand-soldered soldered 32 SMD 0603 resistors before realizing my mistake d'oh!

I've started labeling the bags, numerically, in the order the components are used in the build guides, or the order of the BoM. Plus I write the values much larger on the bag.

The 2 benefits are:
You know you have all the parts
You lower the risk of that kind of mistake.

For context, I turn 47 in 2 weeks.
comacomfort
As I get older my finger tips start to ache when twisting hard plastic knobs, especially the befaco mini pots on the hexmix

I feel bone on plastic and it disturbs me.
dubonaire
my main problem is I put my reading glasses down on my base case to do something else and then can't find the glasses among all the wires.
Mark II
Hahahah, great thread.

Biggest problem for me is when I notice i forgot to bring my reading glasses from the living room downstairs.

DIY is good, but I have to get me one of those magnifying lamps ...

Patience, the lack of, has always been an issue with me, but that seems to get better with age.

Now get of my lawn!
silkynight
I love you guys.
jbrandtp
I am 59. Actually I came from guitar to Euro partly because of eye-issues! It was frustrating to stand up and play, where I didn't´t need glasses, and then bendt down and put on glasses to work with pedals and then up again...
I find Euro much better to work with in that regard!

I prefer white- or silver-faceplates with black text, and try to avoid dark faceplates, where text are harder to read. ADDAC's red faceplates are almost unreadable even in optimum light conditions...
arthurdent
I'm 72, I only started in modular about 4 years ago, I'm looking forward to at least 20 more years of wigglin' before I let go nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
ckwjr
I've dabbled in a lot of different hobbies in my life, but modular seems to be the one that will endure, so it makes me happy to read that some of you are still excited about it into your 60s and 70s.

You know what they say. Everyone wants to live a long life, but no one wants to get old. I hope I can keep doing this for another 20 years.

Not that I'm young - Luckily in my mid 50s the fingers are still limber and the mind is reasonably agile...I mean not relative to everyone, but I still get some use out of it.
dubonaire
ckwjr wrote:
You know what they say. Everyone wants to live a long life, but no one wants to get old. I hope I can keep doing this for another 20 years

I haven't heard that before, it's brilliant!
cincyjack
65 here. Funny, I don’t feel a day over 64.

I’m a big believer in cardio to help offset the exigencies of aging. For me, it’s cycling. I hit the gym a couple times a week, too, more often in winter. But I gotta work around back, hip and knee pain.

I’m thinking I need some new glasses for seeing computer screen. Blind as a bat without readers. Good lighting over the modular helps. I, too, lose my glasses in the wire pile!

I know a guy that sold his **original** Buchla rig to help fund retirement. He now regrets it.

I plan to keep synthesizing as long as it remains interesting. I love music and sound, so I’m grateful for the stimulation and fun that modular provides. Always learning, which is good for the mind.

Hitting the lottery would be helpful, however.
Licudi
Is there a Logan's Run module yet?
ThunderSkull
Percussive sounds are now the result of cracking joints rather than exponential triggers!!
Parnelli
62 last August; ears have been ringing since the 70's, joints all ache, and old Arthur sets into my knuckles with winter to make it hard for me to turn knobs. Sight is corrected with glasses but small lettering is a real drag and takes a magnifying glass.

Gettin' old sucks, but it beats the alternative so far at least! thumbs up

I have a harder time with the top rows of modules as I have bad shoulders, and to reach up too often wears them out. I get dyslexic sometimes and plug things in wrong but learn new things in the process. I sold my guitars some years back as they were getting hard for me to play, but I'd like one now, and it might just be good therapy, I dunno.

Age brings with it a certain perspective that is lost on the young; modular has been a dream of mine for decades but I've only jumped in these past couple of years, and I don't think that I could have been nearly as successful with my endeavors back then as I am today, I'm far more patient for one thing.
Severed head
I have a friend who is in his 40's

he has always played guitar, but had a few minor finger injuries(box cutter, jammed knuckle never pulled out) and worried about arthritis as he's getting older so he bought a modular system just because he wants to keep music in his life...

im going to show him this thread when we burn tonight.
I hope its encouraging not discouraging...
Parnelli
Severed head wrote:
I have a friend who is in his 40's

he has always played guitar, but had a few minor finger injuries(box cutter, jammed knuckle never pulled out) and worried about arthritis as he's getting older so he bought a modular system just because he wants to keep music in his life...

im going to show him this thread when we burn tonight.
I hope its encouraging not discouraging...

That's kind of what happened to me; after selling all of my equipment, and I mean all of it, I was bummed at first but as the months went by I didn't think about it so much. Then one day a couple years later I began to feel like something was missing from my life, but I couldn't put my finger on it at first; it was music.

A friend loaned me a guitar in very poor shape and I could hardly play it it played so hard. I became discouraged and set it aside, but the bug still bit me hard. A while later I picked up an MS20 mini; I had one of the originals back in the day, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Next I found out about the Moog Mother 32 and brought a pair; that introduced me to the world of Eurorack modular, and I fell right down that slippery slope!

No regrets at all, and I'm having more fun with this than I ever had with a guitar! thumbs up

I've worked in the trades all my life, so yeah, my hands along with everything else has taken a beating.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4