MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

R*S DUSG mk2 Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author R*S DUSG mk2 Questions
cloudleft
I'm thinking about replacing my Maths with a DUSG and have a few spec questions. These would apply to the mk2 version as I'm looking to go new on this one, but I imagine many of these might apply to mk1.

1) Do I need to attenuate signals before slewing them with DUSG? / Does the DUSG clip the signals it slews into the 0-5v range of the R*S serge line? I notice that the DUSG can take bipolar signals IN but that the output jacks are white (unipolar). Does this mean it shifts the signal to be unipolar when it slews?

2) How long are the rise and fall times? Are the max rise/fall times the same for both function generators?

3) Is the shape switch a three position switch (expo/lin/log) or just two position (expo/lin)?

4) What is the re-trigger behavior of the DUSG? Does it only retrigger during certain portions of the function?

5) I know the function generators can run much faster than other slope generators out there (esp. the lefthand one?) so my sense is the rise and fall knobs cover more ground. How does the knob travel feel when slewing audio rate signals? Is it sudden and abrupt or smooth?

Thanks everyone!
luchog
1) It depends on what you're using, but generally attenuation is needed, since the R*S DUSG is 5vpp, while the Euro standard (such as it exists) is 10vpp. Not sure about clipping, but I would assume so. There is both a unipolar and a bipolar out jack on the right side, while the left has a unipolar and pulse out.

2) Not sure on this one, as I haven't measured it, but they're pretty long on both sides.

3) The shape is a 3 position expo/lin/log. Along with that, the Rise/Fall CV attenuverter pots also affect the shape of the slope when no CV is connected to their inputs.

4) Only retriggers on EOC IIRC.

5) They feel smooth, but are sensitive to small movements.

Learning Modular has an excellent series of videos on Youtube covering the various DUSG functions: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLli7NH8pJF8T8dOYAn76FVTzmf7QQ9j Oe
huffnPuff
How does the SSG behave in regard to voltages? The same way?
nimmen
There is really good and in-depth DUSG overview by Chris, highly recommended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRR-njBYFps&list=PLli7NH8pJF8T8dOYAn76 FVTzmf7QQ9jOe
Triglav
You can calibrate the R*S DUSG to have a wider range. Mine is set at 0-8V.
cloudleft
nimmen, thank you, I'll look at that video overview. And thanks luchog, that's very helpful!

Triglav wrote:
You can calibrate the R*S DUSG to have a wider range. Mine is set at 0-8V.

Triglav, how can I do that? which trimmers should I adjust?
Triglav
If I recall correctly there are 2 trimmers per side. You need to adjust the the ones NOT labeled 1V/oct.
cloudleft
Triglav wrote:
If I recall correctly there are 2 trimmers per side. You need to adjust the the ones NOT labeled 1V/oct.

Thanks! I'll take a look.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1