MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Repair Insecurity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Repair Insecurity
MindMachine
My 1990 Serge processor panel needs help.

WAD/VCFQ/SPRC/XFAD/MIX/ADP/PHA/VCM/EQ

About 8-10 jacks are loose and I would like to replace about 15 pots.

I have anxiety shipping it off but know it has to be done. I am in Ventura County USA and think Kevin Fortune is the obvious choice.

He is of course highly recommended, but I've never shipped a unit for repair. I've always drove for my repairs.

Has anyone dealt with him lately? Just want to make sure he is still up and running.
schism
MindMachine wrote:
My 1990 Serge processor panel needs help.

WAD/VCFQ/SPRC/XFAD/MIX/ADP/PHA/VCM/EQ

About 8-10 jacks are loose and I would like to replace about 15 pots.

I have anxiety shipping it off but know it has to be done. I am in Ventura County USA and think Kevin Fortune is the obvious choice.

He is of course highly recommended, but I've never shipped a unit for repair. I've always drove for my repairs.

Has anyone dealt with him lately? Just want to make sure he is still up and running.

Send it to Kevin, he will fix it quickly and reliably. He just restored 8 Paperface panels for me last month. It took him less than 5 weeks including a custom power supply build. Cannot recommend him enough. PM me if you need current contact info.
MindMachine
That will vouch.
rayce
Replacing pots and tightening jacks is something you could easily do on your own. Kevin is great but this is pretty basic stuff you want done.
MindMachine
^ Yeah, I mean I can rebuild a house but I'm dim witted and hamfisted with any more than basic maintenance in electronics. My unit is old and has individual foil faces (gold and silver) and I'm pretty sure I would kill them.
If it was a newer aluminum plate unit I might give it a try at least, but I watched Kevin Lightner maintain a panel and just watching him snapping those old Pomona jacks gave me the willies. He found glee in it.

I actually don't mind giving (as little as possible) money to people like KFB or whomever when I know how caring and into the process they are. I'll call him again.

Thanks for the post. I am obviously not as competent/confident as you or others.
cycad73
Kevin is awesome, he repaired three panels for me in 2017 and two this year. Just a great person to work with in every way.

Ask also about mods, he has a lot of good ones, this alone may make it worth your while even if you could do the pot replacement yourself.
MindMachine
Thank you. I am too insecure as mentioned to wrestle with the foil faces. I figured Kevin was still the best option, but hadn't dealt with him in a while and wanted some good feedback (thus the insecurity).

No mods on this panel: WAD/VCFQ/BUFF/XFAD/MIX2/ADP/PHA/WCM/EQ

If you don't have it, purchase his 'Lullabye for the Hearts of Space'. We had it on cassette in the 80's and it died and he re-released it on cd. Really good nighttime music.

Thanks again.

edit - now you mention it... maybe extended range on the VCFQ - although I have never heard of anyone ever using that.
Peake
MindMachine wrote:
edit - now you mention it... maybe extended range on the VCFQ - although I have never heard of anyone ever using that.

Doesn't that allow it to process control voltage so it becomes a VC lag generator? Useful in a pinch.
MechaSeb
Peake wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Doesn't that allow it to process control voltage so it becomes a VC lag generator? Useful in a pinch.

Yes and also for quadrature sine-wave LFO duties.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1