MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need your LPG experience in MU world (opinions/audio)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Need your LPG experience in MU world (opinions/audio)
johny_gtr
I’d like to add an LPG module but cant decide which one
All seems have similar structure but it can be different components especially vactorls (or even switchable) vactrols.

What ive found in the net:
1) Thomas White triple lpg at synthcube
2) Megaohm lpg
3) FSFX lpg
4) COTK lpg

If you have any of them - please share your opinions and music
Thank you
Flareless
I built a Thomas White LPG for myself a few years ago. I used different speed vactrols on each board (slow, medium, fast). This yields very different sounds from each LPG.

It's a pretty cool module that I don't use that often but when I do I'm reminded how awesome it can sound.

I also sometimes use the channels as VCAs.
ericD13
johny_gtr wrote:
I’d like to add an LPG module but cant decide which one
All seems have similar structure but it can be different components especially vactorls (or even switchable) vactrols.

What ive found in the net:
[...]
4) COTK lpg

I believe that COTK's is not a vactrol lpg.
And it doesn't seems to mimic vactrols : it's a VCA coupled with a (30db/oct) diode VCF.

Non-vactrol lpg that mimics "true" lpg exists in euro : Rabid Elephant's Natural Gate. It seems very appreciated, very expensive (400 euros, it's a MU price smile), and very long to get.
ericD13
If you want the lpg experience, you can easily port a passive lpg from euro : no hassle with the voltage.

For example : a 27 euro dual passive lpg
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/takaab-2lpg
elmerfudd
The Thomas White triple is cool, especially with different Vactrols as above.
The one with the secret sauce is the Megaohm CdS, now discontinued, Phil has his last one listed in BST right now (I snagged the other one).
josaka
I have a Cds its great for a low pass gate..(not currently in my system) but really unless you want the buchla bongo sound you would be better of with a more flexible filter.. something like the journeyman in hi pass mode gets close to that resonance plus its very flexible especially when paired with a second fiter...
the FSFX one is based on the Cds ...as mentioned above Phil is done with them unless you grab his last one. smile
megaohm
Still have the one CdS left.
That is the last pcb and last panel.
Same with the LFO modules.
I do not plan to restock these.
Henfield
ericD13 wrote:
If you want the lpg experience, you can easily port a passive lpg from euro : no hassle with the voltage.

For example : a 27 euro dual passive lpg
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/takaab-2lpg

How can a “Low Pass Gate” circuit use no power? The classic Buchla LPG uses a Vactrol, which contains a light source and a photo resistor, how do you power the light?
kindredlost
I’ll second the magic mojo of the CdS. I also have a quad lpg from Cyndustries which Phil from Mega Ohm Audio enhanced. I prefer the CdS and find it invaluable for WAY more than your typical resonant skin (bongo) sounds. I will try to get a sample of a current patch up if I can.
It’s good for deep bass drum sounds too. It has a nice overdriven quality to give a bit of crunch. I have battled it at times for screechy feedback ringing too. Not at all a typical LPG. Very alive with loads of unique character.
fac
I have two Megaohm CdS and love them. Use them all the time, sometimes as kick drums (one of them is my go-to kick), sometimes for bongo-like sounds, but also as run-of-the-mill lowpass filters or amplifiers, when my other filters or amps are already in use. It's one of those modules that can always find a place in a patch.

I have not used other MU LPGs but I do have the three Malekko/Wiard LPGs in eurorack format: Borg 1, Borg 2 and Boogie. They're all very different; the Wiards open much more slowly compared to the CdS, so they're not as good for percussive sounds.
MindMachine
Get the Megaohm while you can. He tricked out my Plan B dual unit. Phil is the best. Guinness ftw!
kindredlost
As promised, here is a very quick demo of the CdS in a current patch I have up. Admittedly not the most exciting use of the module but one which fits the piece I'm doing. The module is capable of many more diverse uses as well.

Sir Ruff
I have the FSFX model and with the resonance circuit it really sounds great. I have run out of room in my case and typically reach for some other filter flavors first, so I'm actually selling mine (and for cheap because of a minor issue).
PM me if interested!
Dilibob
I like to do this all with modules (vcf/vca/inverter) rather then having a single purpose module, allows me to play around with band pass which i sometimes like over low pass. Another thing is i have other oscillators which are triggered to modify the harmonics on the vcf and shift the low pass filter frequencies/resonances based on the gate. One nice thing about 5u is this all works across multiple modules, with my "digital" stuff ( like computers or eu), I will hook the same circuit that "should" work but i will get a flat signal due to phase delays and such.
wendallsan
Flareless wrote:
I built a Thomas White LPG for myself a few years ago. I used different speed vactrols on each board (slow, medium, fast). This yields very different sounds from each LPG.

Wow, I was not aware of this kit! The eurorack version of this kit has hopped to the top of my "build it next" list. hyper hyper
fac
Here are a few sounds where I remember I used the CdS:

In this video, a CdS does the kick drum starting from 0:13. The kick is nothing but a CdS being pinged with a trigger signal, probably from a Moon 563

Pitched bongo-like sounds, starting from 0:00. IIRC, the patch is basically each VCO from a Sputnik Dual Waveform Generator (Buchla 258 clone) into each of my CdS LPGs, each being modulated by an envelope from the Sputnik Dual Function Generator (Buchla 281 clone).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this track has a similar patch than the above (two bongo-like sounds) but with the VCOs being cross-modulated.

http://www.facproductions.net/music/connections/05%20Rainie.mp3
johny_gtr
Bongos sounds good!
ba1
I've had the Megohm and FSFX, plus a bunch of euro LPGs. The FSFX has a smother transition into self oscillation. I usually used it more as a straight up filter, though it works well as .

Now I just have two of the CdS. They are more aggressive and sound massive! Best kick module ever! Boat loads of character! They can be great for more subtle stuff, but i don't use them for typical bongo patches that much. I will never part with these! I wish I had 8 of them!
wily
johny_gtr wrote:

1) Thomas White triple lpg at synthcube

This module is amazing. SynthCube built mine. Great as LPG and even for VCA duties. Maxed resonance in filter mode creates the most thumping kick you've ever heard.

The built-in mixer is handy too.

I'll probably build another one at some point, they are that good.
erroraudio
Can recommend the Krisp1 Triple Resonant LPG if you can find one.
krisp14u
erroraudio wrote:

I think you will have to look very hard so few in the world sad banana maybe I should revisit it
Thorsday
krisp14u wrote:
erroraudio wrote:

I think you will have to look very hard so few in the world sad banana maybe I should revisit it

Free State FX's latest run at Noisebug is gnarly and loud. Moreso than the first run, Synthcube Thomas White TLPG or a Buchla 292C.

What is the Krisp1 like? I love Krisp1. I have many smile
Prunesquallor
A big shout out for Phil MegaOhm! I bought the last CdS module from him, and he's been fantastically communicative and very helpful in navigating Spanish customs. I'll definitely be buying more stuff from him. It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1