MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Character" Delay Lines
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author "Character" Delay Lines
Ras Thavas
Curious to hear from others what their favorite “character delays” are.

Playing with the delays on the Blasser Cocoquantus in recent years has opened my ears up to the benefits of some noise and, for lack of a better word, “character” in a delay line.

Since then I’ve pulled my old Harvestman Tyme Sefari MKII back into service, and it’s gone from being “eh, it doesn’t loop terribly cleanly” to being a favored approach. Other than my adding some additional gain thru the external feedback loop it’s the same module, but the way I hear it has changed.

I’ve also recently added a X1L3 Underworld delay to my case. While it doesn’t offer the loop windowing feature the TS does, it shares some of the same DNA thru gate-able memory line glitching and a decidedly lo-fi approach.

What other delays out there do you all like for their unusual sonic character?
starthief
Tyme Sefari was a little too lo-fi for my tastes, and that's saying a lot eek! Though it sounded pretty great with a Twin Peak filter after it, that wasn't a sound I always wanted. I loved the way it worked though, and once in a while I find myself wishing I'd held on to it. But I've got other options smile

Mimeophon and Supercell both can do character pretty well. I've also recently picked up a Lyra-8, and its PT delay is like an army of marching ants or something smile also a few plugins I like.
Severed head
I use a tyme sef.
But I don’t often use it for a “echo” effect traditional referred to as delay.
Mostly for grabbing a phase slowing it down by stretching out the length of it thus lowering the pitch. More akin to what you’d get if you smashed the gears of a tape player while it was playing back.

Supercell is the expanded clouds if I remember right.
That one I never used but did have a clouds, and I’m trying to think if I ever used it for that sorta traditional “delay/echo” but more of the choppy thing it does and of course for reverb. But the reverb is a bit to cheesy sounding for me it’s good just to my ears very digital and artificial sounding compared to pedals I have used over the years.

-
Recently picked up a Pittsburgh “analog delay” I haven’t gotten a chance to implement it but most of the demos I heard sound pretty good for the typical BBD delay. And I read it can have a unique noise/grittiness to it if you increase the delay times via trim post on the back
I’m looking Fowler to that when my expansion skiffs psu arrives
starthief
Yeah, Supercell is expanded Clouds. The Parasite delay algorithm is what I'm mostly talking about, particularly with a lower quality setting.

Though you can use most of the modes as a delay if you set it up right -- pitch/stretch mode works very nicely as a delay if clocked. Even the normal Clouds mode can be delay-like with the right patch.

(Also the "CV delay" in Stages can be used for audio; it filters out more as you increase the delay time.)
base615
Magneto with some tape age, crinkle and W&F dialled in. SlayerBadger!
sutekina bipu-on
dispersion delay and doepfer bbd! still trying to figure out the sweet spot with my tdel but that is more character due to how its used than how it sounds.
thetwlo
The Feedback Modules 1-bit is fantastic!
https://feedback-modules.myshopify.com/products/1bit-multitap-delay?va riant=37945339649

Also, the NLC Delay No More is pretty crazy. The Doepfer BBDs are still great as well.
Ras Thavas
Agreed, the Tyme Sefari is usually lo-fi at best, and gets into much worse territory, no argument. The interface is perfect though for working with a windowed buffer. A little bit of the the thin, metallic, bit-crushed sound you get at the lower end of the range can go a long way, I use that sparingly.

I do like the ability to send gates into the SOT expander to change modes, the stereo is an automatic octave up, and going from 8-bit to twelve is another octave up, so random gates can shift your buffer within three octaves without getting out of tune. The direction input is great, particularly with a stored sample and a pulse wave input, you can get fake time stretching that often sounds good.

Good to hear the thoughts about Mimeophon, I have been looking at that as well, particular the low/high pass filter and diffusion in the feedback combined with the multi-zone aspect.

Underwurlde is a pt2395 delay, when clocked slowly it adds this lovely “sandpaper-like” sound to input sounds. The Lyra actually has two pt delays, no wonder it has so much character. I’d enjoy having one of those.

Heck, if I’m honest I’d enjoy having one of every delay out there…
vidret
I’ve got TS mk2 for the uglies and feedback patch the erbeverb for the beauties. Sometimes I wonder if the mimeophon is the play, it seems very full featured (but no feedback loop? I guess one can use the stereo ins/outs to mess with it still).
starthief
Ras Thavas wrote:

Yup smile
Dedal
I really love my dub junior, it can be clear or lush tape style , got sync and only 6hp love

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/audio-damage-adm16-dubjr-mk2
22tape
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-crush-delay-v2
doublestewart
The chronoblob is worth checking out:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alright-devices-chronoblob2
Blairio
SSF's DPLR, a twin 750ms BBD delay unit in 4HP.

Great for stereo effects, and capable of infinite echoes if you turn the regeneration up full.

It has 4 low pass filter modes, and variable crosstalk between the two delay lines.

Also Doepfer's A-188-1 BBD. I have the 1024 version. Great for modulation effects, and weird 1950's sci-fi movie sounds.
Navs
Doepfer's A-112 sampler/delay can get/ is, horribly crunchy love

Maybe look for delays that have an open feedback loop so you can process the recursion.
ari ellis
It’s not a small investment, but I recently got my hands on a verbos multidelay processor, and it is *glorious*. It’s definitely overkill if you’re just looking for some straightforward dirty echos, but it oozes character of a rather different sort from the more familiar “bucket brigade breakup.” Lot of HP though.
Tumulishroomaroom
Blairio wrote:

Great for stereo effects, and capable of infinite echoes if you turn the regeneration up full.

It has 4 low pass filter modes, and variable crosstalk between the two delay lines.

Really love this one. It's quite similar to the Lyra 8 delay. With the lowest filter setting it can be really quite noisy in a great way.

ari ellis wrote:
It’s not a small investment, but I recently got my hands on a verbos multidelay processor, and it is *glorious*. It’s definitely overkill if you’re just looking for some straightforward dirty echos, but it oozes character of a rather different sort from the more familiar “bucket brigade breakup.” Lot of HP though.

I also have this one and agree that it's wonderful. Here's a thread dedicated to the module with a few examples + discussions. Very unique and open module.
Ras Thavas
Navs wrote:
...Maybe look for delays that have an open feedback loop so you can process the recursion.

Yes, this seems to be a key thing. I used a frequency shifter in the loop with a Chronoblob, and it was a great addition. With all the potentially useful combinations of filtration, pitch/frequency shifting, overdrive/distortion, and bit crushing to insert in a delay's feedback loop, you could almost set aside a row of modules just for that purpose and justify it.

Blairio wrote:

Sounds like this one flew under the radar a bit, the feature set sounds pretty comprehensive.
Paranormal Patroler
thetwlo wrote:
Also, the NLC Delay No More is pretty crazy. The Doepfer BBDs are still great as well.

You cannot go wrong with the NLC Delay No More. It's an amazing module to own. It's a bunch of PTs if I'm not mistaken, with feedback paths. I even like how it sounds on its own ...
Umcorps
Another +1 for the Doepfer BBDs. Still crazy after all these years.

But also want a mention for the tape delay setting that is one option in the Parasites alternative firmware for MI Warps.

It's brilliant. Very lo-fi, very quick to FSU and very very playable with that nice front panel. Also has an open feedback loop option (plus dual, "analogue" and ping-pong options).

If you have Warps, it should be a no brainer.
Severed head
starthief wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:

Yup smile

or just one of everyone out there
oops

Ras Thavas wrote:
Agreed, the Tyme Sefari is usually lo-fi at best, and gets into much worse territory, no argument.

I do like the ability to send gates into the SOT expander to change modes, the stereo is an automatic octave up, and going from 8-bit to twelve is another octave up, so random gates can shift your buffer within three octaves without getting out of tune. The direction input is great, particularly with a stored sample and a pulse wave input, you can get fake time stretching that often sounds good.

its really tough but you can work a fairly clean sample that doest sound to obviously low-fi if you work it post TS. (filters /echo /etc) sort sounds more like its altered by those following modules that just being a generally low-fi sample,

Im rebuilding my system but had the TS / SoT before and just picked up the pair again as It was one of my favorites, the SoT was included in the bundle, but if I remember right to get both rather than just the TS. I only needed to add the cost that would be added to shipping in a larger box or something like 10-15 usd but tbh I almost passed on it. the bit change or stereo octave change is about the only thing I ever used if for.
its probably boils down to user error but I just couldn't find any way to use the "bend" switches for anything except straight harsh noise wildness.
which were cool if that was what I was after but generally were hard to find a function for
Funky40
since we are modular, its also an option to just split the dry and wet path off,
patch whatever suits into the wet path, then thru your delay of choice.
I´m all in for *much* integrated concepts like for example the Rainmaker but "patching" your own delay sound has still its own use, no ? wink
( telling this also to myself, haha, since i never really did as deep as i should )

The Bastl Thyme is definitly super interesting. But probably not for every one.
In my opinion a VERY well developed-out box ( stompbox though).
I like right now very much the erica black stereo delay to dive into the glitchy side of things. My newest delay, totally in love.
......but "glitch out" and character might be two different pairs of shoes i guess wink
davidjames
I think WMD/SSF DPLR is PT2399-based, but I could be wrong. Its badass, that's for sure.

The Snazzy FX Wow&Flutter is good for some dirty dub. I actually have that one for sale but I think I'll keep it. Can't bear parting with any my delays, I love them all equally...except my Verbos delay, that one gets a special place in my heart.

Someone offered me a Mungo d0 in a trade and I'm contemplating it. Anyone have experience with it and does it fill a gap? I currently have 2 Chronoblobs, Snazzy W&F, WMD DPLR, Verbos, Supercell, Erica Pico and Black Hole, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.
Ras Thavas
davidjames wrote:
...I currently have 2 Chronoblobs, Snazzy W&F, WMD DPLR, Verbos, Supercell, Erica Pico and Black Hole, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

I want to thank David and everyone else here who's commented on how many delays they have. You've made me feel a lot better about the number I have and given me a good excuse to get more delay modules. Appreciated smile
batch
starthief wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:

Yup smile

Ditto.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3