MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Decent Reverb (and maybe Delay) largely for Mono
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Decent Reverb (and maybe Delay) largely for Mono
smithie
Hey folks,

Any recommendations for a digital reverb when I'm largely running mono? I've been attracted to the Erica Synths DSPs, but they seem to imply that their Mono only output is pretty crap. Some other options I've been looking at include the Pittsburgh Verbtronic, Dreadbox Splash, or maybe going with a uBurst or Monsoon as my end of pipe reverb.

Something like an Erbe is wayyy out of budget. I'm trying to keep this sub $200 - potentially even sub $150.

So - anyone have good experience with a somewhat budget, non-spring reverb when running mono? Let me know! applause
cg_funk
smithie wrote:
Hey folks,

Any recommendations for a digital reverb when I'm largely running mono? I've been attracted to the Erica Synths DSPs, but they seem to imply that their Mono only output is pretty crap. Some other options I've been looking at include the Pittsburgh Verbtronic, Dreadbox Splash, or maybe going with a uBurst or Monsoon as my end of pipe reverb.

Something like an Erbe is wayyy out of budget. I'm trying to keep this sub $200 - potentially even sub $150.

So - anyone have good experience with a somewhat budget, non-spring reverb when running mono? Let me know! applause

Chronoblob v1 is actually really great and you can now get a used one pretty cheaply now that the fancy new stereo version is out.
electricfence
I'm a big fan of the Splash -- especially on the longer decay settings.
brandonlogic
Erica Synths Blackhole DSP2 has stereo outs but you can run it mono and sounds great I think.

Disting mk3 and 4 reverbs algos are decent
brandonlogic
But honestly you should wait and check this out, especially with your price range. It’s out in about a month. And just because it’s stereo doesn’t mean you can’t patch it mono

http://www.happynerding.com/category/fx-aid/

smithie
Any thoughts on the Pico DSP? I'd looked at the DSP2, but they're still pretty spendy at this point. The Picos are usually a good deal, though. Is the Pico based on DSP v1 (e.g., the one Erica pretty clearly doesn't recommend running mono...)

I'll have to look around for a Chronoblob v1 - that's a good tip.

Also glad to hear the Splash has some fans. I've not seen too many around in the secondary market, but I've been keeping an eye out.

I know almost all of these units will run mono on the Left, but, there seems to be some mummurs out there that for at least a few modules, the mono out is pretty poor if that is primarily what's being run.

I also know there's a lot of love for the Disting, by the way, but I don't know that I want to deal with a learning curve that steep right now.....

Keep the input coming! Rockin' Banana!
smithie
I should also mention in the world of new modules, I'm extremely intrigued by the XaocTimiszoara, even though its pretty outside my price range and I know nearly nothing about it........smile
jschussler
For my money 2hp Verb is the way to go:

StateAzure
Disting + 2hp Verb
matttech
There is also this: https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/milky-way/

Milky Way allows for mono-mono, mono-stereo or stereo-stereo operation.
Dedal
Dreadbox splash! Best mono reverb module I ever see, at least for today, but IMO it’s huge overpriced, this is just a small piece of nyx and it cost a half of full synth, moreover, like most of white line modules is absolutely not adapted to eurorack, therefore it is very often clipout and need attenuating of the incoming signal and consequently the signal at the output catastrophically quiet. I believe that such flaws are not permissible, especially for such a lot of money, but whatever it was, splash algorithms are beautiful and variable, I really miss it(
Granular
electricfence wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Splash -- especially on the longer decay settings.

Holy.... we're not worthy ......When I heard the Dreadbox Nyx for the first time I instantly fell in Love with the Reverb.

I didn't know about the Splash. That Reverb sounds great. But it seems almost impossible to get it in Europe.

Does anyone know a Shop in Europe having the Splash in Stock?
smithie
Yea - I'd be pretty tempted by a Splash if I came across one at a decent price - not sure there's many out there to be had in the secondary market, though. seriously, i just don't get it

That Endorphin is another interesting option, but also looks to be over budget.

How about the TipTop Z5000 or Pico DSP for mono? Anyone have experience with those? I've seen a couple of these out there recently for under $150. Also a little surprised the Verbtronic hasn't gotten any love here. Is it no good?
doublestewart
smithie wrote:
That Endorphin is another interesting option, but also looks to be over budget.

Like matttech modular it's just $180 over at juno.co.uk, it's available and the shipping is really cheap.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/endorphin-es-milky-way-stereo-fx-modul e/734890-01/
smithie
That IS a nice price. One Milky Way is now en route.
doublestewart
smithie wrote:
That IS a nice price. One Milky Way is now en route.

Juno has the best prices on a lot of the european companies. Their prices for Mutable Instruments modules are thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Granular
smithie wrote:
I should also mention in the world of new modules, I'm extremely intrigued by the XaocTimiszoara, even though its pretty outside my price range and I know nearly nothing about it........smile

Also looking forward to this. But I think it's a long way to the release. Xaoc always delivers, and the Build Quality and the Design is always a pleasure.

But first I want to get hands on that Splash

Is the Splash Discontinued? It's not on the Dreadbox Shop anymore. Sweetwater has them in Stock...but when I add the Shipping Costs and the fee for the Import to Switzerland hmmm.....

Maybe they will release a nice Reverb in the Chromatic Line ... but... Dreadbox Please...these Colors.... d'oh! meh
doublestewart
Granular wrote:
smithie wrote:

Also looking forward to this. But I think it's a long way to the release. Xaoc always delivers, and the Build Quality and the Design is always a pleasure.
:

FYI, Xaoc is another european company that has great prices at juno.co.uk
nostalghia
Granular wrote:

But first I want to get hands on that Splash

Is the Splash Discontinued? It's not on the Dreadbox Shop anymore. Sweetwater has them in Stock...but when I add the Shipping Costs and the fee for the Import to Switzerland hmmm.....

Wiggle Hunt site search is showing one available at Swedish dealer www.jam.se
http://www.jam.se/synthpiano/synthanalogvintage/A101674-Eurorack_Dread box_White_Line_Splash/
motorhead412
jschussler wrote:
For my money 2hp Verb is the way to go:

+1
2hp Verb sounds good and is cost effective.
vytis
I was going to buy Splash last week, postponed it due to work commitments. Went on to buy it a few days later and it was gone... I emailed Dreadbox earlier this week and this was their response:

Quote:
We have no Splash left in stock, but in a week or two it will be available as DIY Kit for a limited units.

So next week, or the week after... DIY Kit only. waah
Granular
vytis wrote:
I was going to buy Splash last week, postponed it due to work commitments. Went on to buy it a few days later and it was gone... I emailed Dreadbox earlier this week and this was their response:

Quote:
We have no Splash left in stock, but in a week or two it will be available as DIY Kit for a limited units.

So next week, or the week after... DIY Kit only. waah

That's Bad News.

I contacted Sweetwater, but they don't ship the Splash Outside the US. They told me that Dreadbox doesn't allow to ship their products Outside the US. That's strange. A European Company selling their products in the US doesn't allow to ship them back to Europe?

Fortunately I found another shop :-)
sko87pro
I haven’t embraced “reverb in euro,” it seems expensive to me, unless the benefit is wiggling parameters via CV?

I found there are some great studio reverbs and delays and multi-fx from the 2000’s that are cheap now. Most of them are mono in, stereo out and have a bandwidth of 20kHz. There are several of these in half-rack and smaller formats. I’ve seen Boss, Digitech and Alexis under $50 and so I picked up a couple.

For interfacing I bought a Malekko Send/Return module (4HP) which has CV over wet/dry mix but there are other options including MakeNoise Rosie, or the Happy Nerding Dual xFade which offers incoming signal-boost for outboard gear:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-snd-rtn
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-dual-xfade
Dogma
matttech wrote:
There is also this: https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/milky-way/

Milky Way allows for mono-mono, mono-stereo or stereo-stereo operation.

I adore the effects on the GT/dark waves which this has (both banks fromGT and black noir) I’m constantly amazed at their quality

Otherwise for verbs, a pedal is still the best bang for buck
smithie
Happy to report the MIlky Way is treating me well. I'd recommend it.

On another note - a Splash just showed up on reverb. (no affiliation) Act fast Nyx fans!

https://reverb.com/item/29401245-dreadbox-splash-nyx-s-reverb-effect
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2