MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Excellent modules that got squeezed out: your sad stories?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Excellent modules that got squeezed out: your sad stories?
Richard deHove
I put my DFAM back in its external case thinking I could just prop it next to the rig. But no. It was inconvenient to then switch on and created messy patching. So it had to go back in. But then lots of stuff had to go.

The main casualties included: Erica joystick, AJH NextPhase, FSS Fil3 filter, and DSP2 effects

The Fil3 is a super nasty filter and it was sad to see it go, but then I also have the Schlappi 100Grit. The real pain was the AJH NextPhase. I simply adore phasers but the NextPhase is 18hp so, sorry. Also chopped the Erica DSP2 effects unit. It's the only module I have with a menu (other than the Disting) and I could never remember which effect was which. On the other hand I do use it a lot so we'll see how that turns out....

A couple of modules I've lent to a friend so they at least get some love, but it hurts to see the NextPhase in bubblewrap.
Parnelli
I have 2 Mother 32's, and they're in and out of the rack every time I build a new one and later run out of space, but no sad stories, just an empty wallet...

Right now they're out.
doublestewart
The micro mutable modules saved me from a few sad stories, especially when I sold my clouds.
spilthyfred
Biigger case = no sad stories

but maybe sad wallet
fac
I've only taken two module out of my cabinets/rack, ever: one is an MU-format Polivoks filter clone, and the reason is that it needs its power connector fixed. I plan to put it back in someday. The other one is a dotcom Q103 DC Power Interface that became redundant after I moved part of my system to a bigger cabinet; I'm keeping it in case I ever need/want to expand to another cab/rack.

Oh, and there's a third one but maybe it doesn't count. I had a single-space blank panel (the only one I ever bought) that I gave to the carpenter who made my cabinet. He delivered the cabinet but never gave me the blank panel back. d'oh!

Edit: I forgot the part about them being "excellent", which neither of the ones I mentioned is. seriously, i just don't get it
blw
I used to have a Buchla 100 module in my 200e case. It was just a noise module, which added almost nothing to my system and had a panel so bare it was practically like having a blank in my case. I eventually sold it to make better use of the space, but I miss its scuffed-up vintage charm. waah
hamildad
fac wrote:
I've only taken two module out of my cabinets/rack, ever: one is an MU-format Polivoks filter clone,

Edit: I forgot the part about them being "excellent", which neither of the ones I mentioned is. seriously, i just don't get it

Been interested in the polivoks clone in MU. Why the despair emoji?

I was underimpressed with my Moon 517. The attenuation on the high pass drops the gain so you need a gain boost to make it sit nicely with anything else.
fac
hamildad wrote:
fac wrote:
I've only taken two module out of my cabinets/rack, ever: one is an MU-format Polivoks filter clone,

Been interested in the polivoks clone in MU. Why the despair emoji?

Oh, it's not a bad module at all. It actually can be quite fun. It's great for those distorted high-resonance screaming leads, but it's pretty much all mine does. It was a one-off built by Roman Filippov and even he said he wasn't completely happy with it, and the build quality wasn't the greatest either. I have six other filters, so I do like that this polivoks sounds nothing like the others and hope to get it fixed, but it's not essential to me in any way.
rustedimac
My Morphagene and Magneto now lives in it's own rack due to space :(
blw
rustedimac wrote:
My Morphagene and Magneto now lives in it's own rack due to space :(

That sounds like possibly a quite fun pair on their own? I'm too daft to keep Morphagene's combos straight in my head, but a unique sound source + Magneto sounds like a quirky ambient set waiting to happen.
EATyourGUITAR
I have a long list of stuff that I like but I don't have space for. If you want to take it on the road then a 6U is where it's at. Equation composer, benjolin, expanded Turing machine, expanded synchrodyne, expanded quadra, maths can't fit. I would love to do everything doepfer but I just can't fit it in the 6U. I started designing some 4HP modules that do not exist exactly for this reason.
GuyaGuy
Mostly effects like Doepfer spring reverb and Frequency Central phaser. Nice to have but for they way I used them rack units and pedals just made more sense and made room for utilities and a guitar effects interface.

Oh and Maths. Just couldn't deal with the lack of clear labels.
Tumulishroomaroom
I sold my Verbos Amplitude and Tone Controller and Complex Oscillator for the sole reason of space back when I only had 7u and was pretty new to modular synthesis. The ATC in particular I really loved but I though I could get a more feature packed module instead.

Now about a year later both are back and the ATC is still one of my favorites.
cornutt
Before I built my new case a couple of years ago, I had all kinds of goodies that I didn't have room for. At one point, I had 6 brand-new SSL modules that I had bought that were sitting in a box waiting for a home. Now everything I have that's working is mounted. I still have a few unbuilt kits that I need to finish now that I have room for them.
mhtones
I recently acquired an ARC eurorack TKB which I absolutely love but its 70hp size made me replace a lot of modules that I love. I've been pretty good about keeping my eurorack to a set amount, but displacing 70hp has been very difficult. Additionally, all these cool new little cases are making it difficult.

And all these crazy low prices in the BST forum are making it even harder! e.g. the other day I picked up a WMD Geiger Counter eurorack module for $100!!! Sub $200 echophon...$80 malgorithm... Ugh, must resist... :rip banana:

Currently "squeezed out" modules include Loquelic Iteritas, Factory Clouds, LS1, Rene, Viol Ruina, Spasm, Dixie 2, IMX and 2hp S&H. Those modules in themselves make an awesome little self contained setup.
luchog
mhtones wrote:
I recently acquired an ARC eurorack TKB which I absolutely love but its 70hp size made me replace a lot of modules that I love. I've been pretty good about keeping my eurorack to a set amount, but displacing 70hp has been very difficult.

I've had the same problem with it. It's great but bloody huge, and definitely doesn't fit into my current rig. I'm strongly considering picking up a small 84hp powered skiff and setting it up as a standalone sequencer (filling the remaining space with clock generator/divider modules).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1