Filterbank recommendations

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

guigui
Common Wiggler

Filterbank recommendations

Post by guigui » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Recently some filterbanks have caught my attention so I'd like to know from filterbanks owners which one do you recommend.

I became specially interested by the AJH Synth FFB 914, Erica Synths Black Resonant Equalizer and the Flame Curves.

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by natureclubcassettes » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:31 pm

might be helpful to say why these three are interesting for you, your planned uses within your setup and what you already have.

i have only used the make noise fxdf, usually mixing outputs dynamically with VCAs. has a very distinct sound.

have you considered the doepfer or addac filter banks?

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Filterbank recommendations

Post by synonymist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 pm

guigui wrote:Hi everyone,

Recently some filterbanks have caught my attention so I'd like to know from filterbanks owners which one do you recommend.

I became specially interested by the AJH Synth FFB 914, Erica Synths Black Resonant Equalizer and the Flame Curves.
Hello. Although I don't own it, the Aion Modular 907A is what I plan to get.

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 pm

The Erica one looks cool but isn't out yet.

The Serge Resonant EQ is not to be overlooked I think, because it has the unusual ability to go resonant past a certain point for each freq, and also has feedback options which tend to sound great. It's also a relatively compact size for this function and isn't demanding on power or wallet either.

Obviously it doesn't have CV over the frequencies (which would have made it damn near perfect), but few banks do - I guess it depends on how important that is to you on what you're realistically looking at, how do you plan to use this module etc.

(((EMP)))
Learning to Wiggle

Post by (((EMP))) » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 pm

If you can swing the price I definitely recommend Frap Tools Fumana.
Just WOW. Also does an impressive vocoder.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 pm

somebody might be selling a doepfer with custom bom ;)
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:42 pm

The Verbos Bark is pretty incredible. It has saturation, stereo ins, individual band outs, envelope follower outs for each band, cv control of each band, cv control of freq tilt, & animation thru the bank.... it can do some primitive vocoding too... I think its only rival/bestor is the Frap Tools Fumana....

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 pm

Illwiggle wrote: its only rival/bestor is the Frap Tools Fumana....
Exactly what I was wondering about. Have you any experience with both of them? I’m curious what the different reasons would be to pick one over the other. Different frequency points?
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

FadingCanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by FadingCanvas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Illwiggle wrote: its only rival/bestor is the Frap Tools Fumana....
Exactly what I was wondering about. Have you any experience with both of them? I’m curious what the different reasons would be to pick one over the other. Different frequency points?
You might want to skip the Bark, some modules are a bit faulty. viewtopic.php?t=169598&start=200

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 am

Another thumbs up for the FxDf. It has 8/16 great sounding filters in 4hp and can be patched with envelope followers, VCAs etc to extend its functionality.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 am

I love my Bark filter. Great sound and features. The Flame is really interesting for the sequencer control.
If you don't need funky VCA control features the Doepfer might be enough.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:21 am

I have the R*S Res EQ and the Bark Filter Processor.

The Res EQ can boost frequencies and has the feedback thing which turns it into a growling beast. Only manual control but has a fantastic sound and is very useful to sculpt sound sources. I often pair it with Morphagene to shape ambient loops and ride the feedback crest.

The Bark Filter Processor is amazing. CV control over everything open crazy possibilities. You get cv over each band + the scanning options found on the Harmonic Oscillator. The individual outs come also very handy. Then you have all the envelope followers you can use as modulation or to set up a primitive vocoder like in the following video. I find that it really has a sound of its own. I love it. It also works with line level instruments.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itPk-s_2p08&t=38s

Fumana must also be amazing.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:43 am

Anyone have experience of the Ladik F-110? Asking for a friend.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 am

I have the Doepfer, Serge and AJH Synth FFB 914. They are all good but the AJH Synth FFB 914 is very nice. As well the modulation options are super useful.

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 am

ADDAC601 Filterbank is one of my favourite modules.

I would rather buy two of the than one Fumana :)

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:might be helpful to say why these three are interesting for you, your planned uses within your setup and what you already have.

i have only used the make noise fxdf, usually mixing outputs dynamically with VCAs. has a very distinct sound.

have you considered the doepfer or addac filter banks?
I'm building a new rack and I've heard some samples from FFB 914 and Curves and I liked them. The Black Resonant Equalizer caught my attention because is digitally controlled and small.
My current rack is this one.

I have considered the doepfer's but it'd be nicer to have some CV control. The ADDAC 601 seems very nice. Thanks for the suggestions!
nios wrote:The Erica one looks cool but isn't out yet.

The Serge Resonant EQ is not to be overlooked I think, because it has the unusual ability to go resonant past a certain point for each freq, and also has feedback options which tend to sound great. It's also a relatively compact size for this function and isn't demanding on power or wallet either.

Obviously it doesn't have CV over the frequencies (which would have made it damn near perfect), but few banks do - I guess it depends on how important that is to you on what you're realistically looking at, how do you plan to use this module etc.
I honestly didn't know the Black Resonant Equalizer wasn't out yet.

I just heard some samples of Serge Resonant EQ and it seems pretty nice. Thanks!
(((EMP))) wrote:If you can swing the price I definitely recommend Frap Tools Fumana.
Just WOW. Also does an impressive vocoder.
Fumana seems amazing. But that's a big swing.
Illwiggle wrote:The Verbos Bark is pretty incredible. It has saturation, stereo ins, individual band outs, envelope follower outs for each band, cv control of each band, cv control of freq tilt, & animation thru the bank.... it can do some primitive vocoding too... I think its only rival/bestor is the Frap Tools Fumana....
Yes, I'm looking for more samples of Bark because Fumana is out of my reach.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:I have the R*S Res EQ and the Bark Filter Processor.

The Res EQ can boost frequencies and has the feedback thing which turns it into a growling beast. Only manual control but has a fantastic sound and is very useful to sculpt sound sources. I often pair it with Morphagene to shape ambient loops and ride the feedback crest.

The Bark Filter Processor is amazing. CV control over everything open crazy possibilities. You get cv over each band + the scanning options found on the Harmonic Oscillator. The individual outs come also very handy. Then you have all the envelope followers you can use as modulation or to set up a primitive vocoder like in the following video. I find that it really has a sound of its own. I love it. It also works with line level instruments.

See:

Both of them seem really nice. I like Barks more because of all the ins and outs and I prefer the faders layout.

Oh, Fumana :love: But the price :woah:
mg05 wrote:ADDAC601 Filterbank is one of my favourite modules.

I would rather buy two of the than one Fumana smile
Really ?
Last edited by guigui on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm

I had the Serge R*S Resonant Equalizer, sounds really great but in use the lack of CV inputs was felt. I then opted for the Addac fixed filter bank that suits me better.
A lot more modular tool but it's not resonant. 2 great modules with two different "sound signatures".

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:22 pm

guigui wrote:

See:

Both of them seem really nice. I like Barks more because of all the ins and outs and I prefer the faders layout.

mg05 wrote:Really ?
have you checked the dedicated Bark Filter thread ? Quite a few examples there.

I use it all the time in everything that I do. Maybe not too helpful since it's in context but it's on every snippet here since I got it, here's a couple where it's more prominent :
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwcg0ifhnVX/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfWNBglrO6/

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 pm

the r*s resonant eq is very much worth the space and I'm not really bothered by the lack of CV inputs like I thought I might be. pair it with two crossfaders, one for VC feedback and another to fade between the two different columns of frequencies (the two comb outputs) and you have plenty of voltage control to supplement the manual playing.

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboyelectronics » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:35 pm

The 4MS SMR can handle filter bank duties and you can choose which frequencies are used, but there are a ton of bells and whistles so it might be a little much if you just want a simple filter bank module

chilllwinston
Common Wiggler

Post by chilllwinston » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:49 pm

mg05 wrote:ADDAC601 Filterbank is one of my favourite modules.
I love my ADDAC 601 as well. I haven’t had any experience with the other filterbanks mentioned in this thread yet, so a comparison I can not offer :despair:

slumberjack
Ultra Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Had the smr and now using a fumana which is just great with all the cv and audio input options. Also it's sound is rather gnarly than clean and I like that. Nontheless it's a filter bank and not a resonant equalizer nor a resonator there is still a desire for adding those options to my system.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
guigui wrote:

See:

mg05 wrote:Really ?
have you checked the dedicated Bark Filter thread ? Quite a few examples there.

I use it all the time in everything that I do. Maybe not too helpful since it's in context but it's on every snippet here since I got it, here's a couple where it's more prominent :
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwcg0ifhnVX/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfWNBglrO6/
Wow, I liked those samples a lot! Sounds awesome!

Just for curiosity: did you remove the Rainmaker?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 am

Thank you ! Bark Filter is really incredible with rich sounds sources. You can get several patterns and percussive lines out of a droning source if you use the Cv ins and the individual outs.

I did eventually sell the Rainmaker. It's a super deep module with tons of sound design avenues to explore but I realized modules with presets make me lazy. I don't venture far from them. I have much more fun and interesting results when I wiggle and patch away and find sounds I like; it feels more personal. I have replaced it with a Verbos Multi Delay Processor and a Magneto.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”