MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Programing Cymbal Swells
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Programing Cymbal Swells
GuyaGuy
One thing I that I'm never satisfied with is cymbal washes and swells, whether working with samples or electronic drums. They can really add a lot to a part as color, transition, etc. I usually cut off the filter then open it up on the repeats to mimic the increased velocity and vibration--either by changing cutoff or by increasing the filter envelope amount or both.

Any other techniques you all have for approximating swells? It could be naturalistic or quite different but filling the same function of a cymbal swell.

For reference, this is generally the type of thing I'm talking about.

Just posting it for reference; I'm not trying to nail this guy's sound or anything.
what gives?
Backwards playing reverb. Good stuff.
GuyaGuy
what gives? wrote:
Backwards playing reverb. Good stuff.

Ooh yeah not a bad idea! Will try that out.
naturligfunktion
It's not the same, but in a pinch I record noise and have a long fade in, with some reverb and what not. It's a more syntetic swell, but it (kind of) works
Blingley
Samples and electronic drums are not going to work. The way the cymbal swell sound builds is tied to the physical characteristics of the drum itself. Essentially it's adding small bursts of energy to excite it, but there's a lot of things that come into play like the relative phases of the partial vibration modes of the object and the timing that you hit it - you might actually reduce some of the energy on some strokes in the swell.

The only way to simulate this electronically with any accuracy would be to model the drum itself. Unfortunately, cymbals are also very complicated in terms of their overtone series which makes them very difficult to model. There are some drum modelling softwares out there I'm sure, but I'm yet to come across anything that'd sound realistic.

It truly is easier to buy a cymbal and a pair of drumsticks and record it.
GuyaGuy
naturligfunktion wrote:
It's not the same, but in a pinch I record noise and have a long fade in, with some reverb and what not. It's a more syntetic swell, but it (kind of) works

Yep I do this and run the noise through a filter with subtle modulation on cutoff to add movement and shimmer.
GuyaGuy
Blingley wrote:
Samples and electronic drums are not going to work. The way the cymbal swell sound builds is tied to the physical characteristics of the drum itself. Essentially it's adding small bursts of energy to excite it, but there's a lot of things that come into play like the relative phases of the partial vibration modes of the object and the timing that you hit it - you might actually reduce some of the energy on some strokes in the swell.

The only way to simulate this electronically with any accuracy would be to model the drum itself. Unfortunately, cymbals are also very complicated in terms of their overtone series which makes them very difficult to model. There are some drum modelling softwares out there I'm sure, but I'm yet to come across anything that'd sound realistic.

It truly is easier to buy a cymbal and a pair of drumsticks and record it.

Yeah there’s a lot going on physically even though it’s a simple technique. But I’m open to approximations and replacements too—in the same way that an 808 snare doesn’t really sound like a snare but serves the same basic function.
poppinger
This sounded like a fun exercise.

I'd try something granular. I started with a recording of a VCV rack patch with all sorts of oscillators tuned inharmonically with ring modulators all over the place (first part of the clip below).

I put the clip into a granular VST with a very small amount of randomness to pitch, randomness to position in the file, each individual grain with a longish envelope, and then set the grain rate to something that sounded good — I think I had it set to around .138 seconds. Then finally a slowly opening lowpass filter on the sound as a whole (second part of the clip below). I put a little bit of reverb on there, but the decay tail isn't quite right. I also could probably work a little bit on the individual grain envelopes to make the "hits" more distinct.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/poppinger/cymswell[/s]
dubonaire
Roland Integra 7 can do cymbal swells.
naturligfunktion
GuyaGuy wrote:
naturligfunktion wrote:

Yep I do this and run the noise through a filter with subtle modulation on cutoff to add movement and shimmer.

Another classic technique is to reverse a piano chord smile
Have you tried to sample sounds or videos like the one you posted in the first post? Might also be an alternative
Soy Sos
This is gonna sound crazy....... but get a cymbal, stand and mallets.
Cheapest one you can find, or borrow something.
Record it with whatever mic you have or can borrow.
Pocess it and play around with different effects.
There's nothing wrong with adding acoustic sounds to your electronic projects.
jorg
I did some pretty satisfying sounds like that in Reaktor years ago. I took 9 saw oscillators, and strung them together in 3 groups of 3. Each group was a string; the first oscillator FM'd the second one, and the second one FM'd the third. Then I summed the outputs of all the 3rd stages.

By adjusting the modulation index (all 6 at once) I got a nice swell that became more metallic and "white" as the index went up.
GuyaGuy
poppinger wrote:
This sounded like a fun exercise.

I'd try something granular. I started with a recording of a VCV rack patch with all sorts of oscillators tuned inharmonically with ring modulators all over the place (first part of the clip below).

I put the clip into a granular VST with a very small amount of randomness to pitch, randomness to position in the file, each individual grain with a longish envelope, and then set the grain rate to something that sounded good — I think I had it set to around .138 seconds. Then finally a slowly opening lowpass filter on the sound as a whole (second part of the clip below). I put a little bit of reverb on there, but the decay tail isn't quite right. I also could probably work a little bit on the individual grain envelopes to make the "hits" more distinct.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/poppinger/cymswell[/s]

Nice. It needs some of the deeper tones to fill out the space but otherwise it does the job well.
GuyaGuy
Soy Sos wrote:

My projects are almost always electronic/electric/acoustic and I use claves, tambourine, and a shaker pretty frequently. But sometimes you want synth brass or strings or an analog clap rather than the real thing so I was just looking for ways of doing synth cymbal swells.
GuyaGuy
jorg wrote:
I did some pretty satisfying sounds like that in Reaktor years ago. I took 9 saw oscillators, and strung them together in 3 groups of 3. Each group was a string; the first oscillator FM'd the second one, and the second one FM'd the third. Then I summed the outputs of all the 3rd stages.

By adjusting the modulation index (all 6 at once) I got a nice swell that became more metallic and "white" as the index went up.

Sounds like FM and granular synthesis are the way to go for a richer or more naturalistic effect. thumbs up
spilthyfred
Blingley wrote:
The only way to simulate this electronically with any accuracy would be to model the drum itself.

The new WMD Crucible seems very intriguing. You can even modulate the size of the cymbal. My guess would be you could create some pretty awesome swells with it.
Soy Sos
That's good to hear GuyaGuy,
I sometimes find folks so narrowly focused on modular/electronic
that they will take the most complicated path because it has to be modular.
Arneb
spilthyfred wrote:
Blingley wrote:
The only way to simulate this electronically with any accuracy would be to model the drum itself.

The new WMD Crucible seems very intriguing. You can even modulate the size of the cymbal. My guess would be you could create some pretty awesome swells with it.

That would require some patching to get the exciter right. Crucible's trigger ins aren't going to cut it - you'd have to patch something to simulate the energy impulse from the "swelling" mallet, probably something involving noise and a complex EG/LFO, and rout that into Crucible's audio in. Definitely worth a try though.
MindMachine
Soy Sos wrote:

That's what I do into a Roland/Boss Sp-404SX. Play it loud into soft and then replay backwards and on another pad play soft into loud. Since I am not a good player and am not recording onto a great medium I try both. And usually the backwards one sounds better but you have to make sure the timing is steady.

You can get a good crash/ride at a pawn shop or wherever and invest in some mallets and sticks for a reasonable price. They can be used for a lot of sounds.

edit - check that. The price of the mallets I like have doubled the last few years.

So for homebrew:

I have made a few from tissue or cloth wrapped with this type of recovery tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Sports-Self-Adherent-Pressure-Bandage/dp  /B078H8TF34/ref=asc_df_B078H8TF34/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid= 312025890921&hvpos=1o11&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13884532951615435648&hvpone=&h vptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031632&hvtargid=pl a-568733388220&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=64728044760&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hva did=312025890921&hvpos=1o11&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13884532951615435648&hvqmt =&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031632&hvtargid=pla-5687333882 20

If you don't get too heavy it can last or you just re-wrap. I have some old Pearl Surdu felt beaters that I have reworked a few times with this medical tape. I also have used cheap toy beaters wrapped up.

Use the backend of butter knives for metallic striker action.

You can literally build your own beaters with a little imagination. In some cases they will last longer than what you buy.

Sonor brand last forever and Mike Balter are good unless you abuse the yarn units.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1