MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for filter recommendations please
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Looking for filter recommendations please
Aiyn Zahev
Hi everyone. I’m quite particular with filters, I can tell you what filters I’ve used that I’ve loved: the Dr Octature and the Roland system 500 in that order. The intellijel filter however was broken, so I’m without. Before I buy another one I’m open to suggestions as I’m curious to explore. The DR octature impressed me with how big and open it sounded, very squelchy resonance too.

I have a Behringer Model D which has a great Moog style filter. I like Roland style filters more. I like very open top end though and I don’t always want the dark, mushy or growls Moog sound.

The Jove seemed interesting but it sounds dark. I don’t like MS20 filters much, and I’m not a huge SEM fan either because I prefer 4pole.

Also, dual filters are appealing. Despite everything I’ve said I’m also leaning towards an Aion 904, I know it’s more Moog but it sounds and looks awesome. Also I would love to hear some more demos of the Vermona Twin VCF or the RT451 from Radikal tech. I know those are both more Moogy, but the build quality is also a major appealing factor.

Many thanks for any input!
void23
How about a Rossum Evolution?
insoul8
The Jove is a really nice filter. Mylar Melodies has a really kick ass demo of it on youtube if you haven't seen it already.
synonymist
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
Hi everyone. I’m quite particular with filters, I can tell you what filters I’ve used that I’ve loved: the Dr Octature and the Roland system 500 in that order. The intellijel filter however was broken, so I’m without. Before I buy another one I’m open to suggestions as I’m curious to explore. The DR octature impressed me with how big and open it sounded, very squelchy resonance too.

I have a Behringer Model D which has a great Moog style filter. I like Roland style filters more. I like very open top end though and I don’t always want the dark, mushy or growls Moog sound.

The Jove seemed interesting but it sounds dark. I don’t like MS20 filters much, and I’m not a huge SEM fan either because I prefer 4pole.

Also, dual filters are appealing. Despite everything I’ve said I’m also leaning towards an Aion 904, I know it’s more Moog but it sounds and looks awesome. Also I would love to hear some more demos of the Vermona Twin VCF or the RT451 from Radikal tech. I know those are both more Moogy, but the build quality is also a major appealing factor.

Many thanks for any input!

Hello. How interesting: as I started reading your post, even after you first referred to aspects of some Moog filters that did not interest you, I thought of recommending the Aion 904A. Among Aion's 904 modules, the 904A is the only one I own or ever played. If ever I have space for the others, I will get them.

As I wrote in this thread,

"I'm pretty sure that I never played an early Moog synth. But anecdotally, my Aion 904A VCF sounds like no other filter that I happen to own or can remember ever playing.

It is raw and open sounding. It can produce fine sibilance, but cannot maintain composure in the highest part of its center frequency range. It very much sounds and feels to me like an early implementation of an idea that has yet to be refined, which is exactly what Moog's early efforts were, I believe."
Aiyn Zahev
void23 wrote:
How about a Rossum Evolution?


With only demos to go on, I've never heard one of this module yet that said it was for me. It sounds quite saturated and smudgy. Maybe it's just the way it's being used in the demos I've heard seriously, i just don't get it
Aiyn Zahev
synonymist wrote:
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
Hi everyone. I’m quite particular with filters, I can tell you what filters I’ve used that I’ve loved: the Dr Octature and the Roland system 500 in that order. The intellijel filter however was broken, so I’m without. Before I buy another one I’m open to suggestions as I’m curious to explore. The DR octature impressed me with how big and open it sounded, very squelchy resonance too.

I have a Behringer Model D which has a great Moog style filter. I like Roland style filters more. I like very open top end though and I don’t always want the dark, mushy or growls Moog sound.

The Jove seemed interesting but it sounds dark. I don’t like MS20 filters much, and I’m not a huge SEM fan either because I prefer 4pole.

Also, dual filters are appealing. Despite everything I’ve said I’m also leaning towards an Aion 904, I know it’s more Moog but it sounds and looks awesome. Also I would love to hear some more demos of the Vermona Twin VCF or the RT451 from Radikal tech. I know those are both more Moogy, but the build quality is also a major appealing factor.

Many thanks for any input!

Hello. How interesting: as I started reading your post, even after you first referred to aspects of some Moog filters that did not interest you, I thought of recommending the Aion 904A. Among Aion's 904 modules, the 904A is the only one I own or ever played. If ever I have space for the others, I will get them.

As I wrote in this thread,

"I'm pretty sure that I never played an early Moog synth. But anecdotally, my Aion 904A VCF sounds like no other filter that I happen to own or can remember ever playing.

It is raw and open sounding. It can produce fine sibilance, but cannot maintain composure in the highest part of its center frequency range. It very much sounds and feels to me like an early implementation of an idea that has yet to be refined, which is exactly what Moog's early efforts were, I believe."


Thanks for chiming in. I'm very tempted by the Aion, even if it's just to give it a fair shake, or have it around as an extra flavor if I end up still wanting another filter type.
blakeq
Ripples is rolandy...
natureclubcassettes
Filter 8 by Joranalogue is a new design that is similar to the Dr. Oct
dubonaire
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
void23 wrote:
How about a Rossum Evolution?


With only demos to go on, I've never heard one of this module yet that said it was for me. It sounds quite saturated and smudgy. Maybe it's just the way it's being used in the demos I've heard seriously, i just don't get it


I have one and I wouldn't call it smudgy at all. It can sound like a SEM filter, a Roland filter and a Moog filter and you can morph through those sounds which with some clever CVing can be really musical.

I don't think you can really tell the detailed sonic character of a filter on youtube.
b9
Obligatory qpas mention. It's a voice/spacial effect all by itself if pushed far enough. It can also be dialed back to the most miniscule subtlety.
acidbob
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-jupiter-6-vcf-r2 ?
https://shop.cpurecords.net/merch/cpu-filter ?
lisa
natureclubcassettes wrote:
Filter 8 by Joranalogue is a new design that is similar to the Dr. Oct

Yep. I agree! Filter 8 has a bit of a Roland like sound and is a great filter of high quality.
peripatitis
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
void23 wrote:
How about a Rossum Evolution?


With only demos to go on, I've never heard one of this module yet that said it was for me. It sounds quite saturated and smudgy. Maybe it's just the way it's being used in the demos I've heard seriously, i just don't get it


two things on that.
You can easily control the saturation/distortion with the species parameter and this was the actually the goal of the filter when it came out (a moog ladder with separate control of that characteristic).

And the filter has no input attenuation, which may account to the sound many demo's make out of it.

There is Schippmman's vdl6, which is a stereo multipole out, diode filter, a very characterful filter in my opinion but it has it's quirks.
It is not v/oct and there is significant drop of the signal level in the early stages of the resonace (you can compensate that to an extend but you can "loose" part of it's character).
Of course you can also externally derive band pass filters, put the two filter in series etc so there are things to do.

I have a love/hate relation with it, but it has taken it's place in my system in the end.
MossGarden
natureclubcassettes wrote:
Filter 8 by Joranalogue is a new design that is similar to the Dr. Oct


I Second this, outstanding filter. If you liked the Dr and also like roland sounding filters this is a great meeting point of those two. The filter is liquidy sounding, has that 3-pole output which gets you real close to that Roland LPF sound. It's also a stunning utility to have in a system. LFO's/Slew Generation and a fantastic Oscillator which handles FM duties incredibly well. We really don't deserve it at the price point it's at.
fjoesz
E440
filter8
Foghorn
Xoac Belgrade has quite a few filter response types and can sound like many other filters.
In my experience it can not sound like a Wasp, but it seems to have the sound of most other filter types locked up in its choices.

On the other hand, the Xoac is state variable so it has 2 peaks and this helps give it a character of its own.
And with a "balance" CV input and knob it can be skewed towards one peak or the other, or in the middle of both.

I also have Doepfer A-106-5 SEM, Doepfer A-120 lowpass, SSF-MMF, Plague bearer, Mutable Ripples, Erica PICO VCF-1 & VCF-3, Doepfer WASP and Make Noise MMG.
Belgrad seems to have most of these sounds all wrapped up in one, maybe except for Plague Bearers sound.

Foghorn
Aiyn Zahev
Thanks everyone for the responses. Some of these I just haven't been able to hear in the right context I think, like the Evolution.

I really like what I'm hearing between the Filter8 and the Jove. I'm wondering which one is more open in the top end, since some filters will always darken the sound as they don't open fully.

Filter 8 is tough though because it's $300+, and I can get a dual vermona VCF for $300. All the extra features of the filter8 aren't on my bucket list right now.
Aiyn Zahev
acidbob wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-jupiter-6-vcf-r2 ?
https://shop.cpurecords.net/merch/cpu-filter ?


The G-storm one sounds really good.
ckwjr
It's no Filter 8, at any rate it's slightly less expensive than a Filter 8 for a much smaller feature set, but I like the Studio Electronics 8106. It seems to be largely un-discussed on this forum, maybe for a reason, but I really like the sound.
Aiyn Zahev
Ok, just watched the whole divkid video in the filter8, it is quite stunning, especially for a small system like mine. I’ll probably get this one.
ckwjr
Synth DIY Guy's Filter 8 overview is also very good
Aiyn Zahev
ckwjr wrote:
Synth DIY Guy's Filter 8 overview is also very good


Yeah I also watched that! The part that really got me thinking was on DivKids video where he shows the summed output, where you take a number of the outputs, sum them, FM the filter and you end up with this harmonic drone. Overall I'm beginning to see just how much sound exploration you can do with one.

The Jove sounds juicier though from what I've been able to hear.
toonertik
Filter8 is very nice... though I sometimes think it a bit too clean but does have added benefits and uses.. the ping input being but one. For character I added one of Vult's Freak. This is a digital filter but has quiet a few models. Vult has been making software modules for VCV_Rack and Cherry Audio modular.

U-Tubby has videos ofc .
SnipeCatcher
Only had a rack for about 6-8 months, so take this with a grain of salt. Of the filters I’ve tried in order of purchase...

TTA Forbidden Planet- for me, it was fine if all you want to do is very mild changes, like an eq of sorts, but it wasn’t at all what I was looking for. Eventually sold it, though it certainly didn’t suck.
Doepfer Wasp- it was a revelation compared to the FP. Great little filter at a nice price. Though as most say, it can do the filthy thing well, but that’s not all it’s good for. Terrific, if somewhat limited filter that I can recommend.
Cwejman BLD- the filter section in this module is what got me into seriously investigating filters. I plan on owning a nice Cwejman filter at some point as I now totally get what the fuss is all about smile
Joranalogue Filter 8- this is where I learned DivKid can make pretty much anything sound better than I can! I support Ben on patreon and am a fan, but he’s there to sell gear, so I’m less quick to just try everything he ‘reviews.’ I was initially underwhelmed by the filter 8 as I was looking for, when I’m honest, something more like a Cwejman, minus the insane second hand pricing and the Filter 8 ain’t that. What it is though, is very versatile and sounds pretty darn good. If you can only own one filter, this could be a good one to consider.
L-1 Dual Discrete- my favorite filter to date. Great sound quality, tons of character and routing options and takes cv very well. The company is also great to deal with. Giddy about this purchase.
guigui
SnipeCatcher wrote:
Only had a rack for about 6-8 months, so take this with a grain of salt. Of the filters I’ve tried in order of purchase...

TTA Forbidden Planet- for me, it was fine if all you want to do is very mild changes, like an eq of sorts, but it wasn’t at all what I was looking for. Eventually sold it, though it certainly didn’t suck.
Doepfer Wasp- it was a revelation compared to the FP. Great little filter at a nice price. Though as most say, it can do the filthy thing well, but that’s not all it’s good for. Terrific, if somewhat limited filter that I can recommend.
Cwejman BLD- the filter section in this module is what got me into seriously investigating filters. I plan on owning a nice Cwejman filter at some point as I now totally get what the fuss is all about smile
Joranalogue Filter 8- this is where I learned DivKid can make pretty much anything sound better than I can! I support Ben on patreon and am a fan, but he’s there to sell gear, so I’m less quick to just try everything he ‘reviews.’ I was initially underwhelmed by the filter 8 as I was looking for, when I’m honest, something more like a Cwejman, minus the insane second hand pricing and the Filter 8 ain’t that. What it is though, is very versatile and sounds pretty darn good. If you can only own one filter, this could be a good one to consider.
L-1 Dual Discrete- my favorite filter to date. Great sound quality, tons of character and routing options and takes cv very well. The company is also great to deal with. Giddy about this purchase.


I'm very interested in the Dual Discrete. Do you have any sample of it? I can't find anything out there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group