MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U filters for acid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5U filters for acid
Synth Con Meo
I know there has been a lot of threads lately talking about different filters in 5U. I've been poking through them and doing some searches to try and get some sort of feeling of what filters lend themselves to acid/303 style of sounds.

I understand acid vibes aren't for everyone, and probably less so for most 5U folks. But I've been kind of thinking about picking up a filter that will get me some acid/303 feelings. I admit I am far from any expert in what is acid all about and what chipset is better than the other. I just know I've kind of like that type of sound for some things.

And with anything there is always arguments of what sounds good or not which we all know is subjective. But if I could get some feedback on what filters are geared more towards acid/303 I could listen to more demos of different filters in a list.

I have kind of looked at the Corsynth C101 and C110 which both sounds nice. I did see one review in that the C110 has better pronounced notes as opposed to the C101. Don't know if that is a good thing or not. I would think so but don't know. And I think there is an Oakley or 2 filters that are supposed to produce that types of sounds.

Thanks

Synth Con Meo <RIP> Kibou sad
diophantine
Hopefully you saw this thread?:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25168

I'm afraid I can't add much more... I know the sound when I hear it, but I've never tried to emulate it.
Synth Con Meo
diophantine wrote:
Hopefully you saw this thread?:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25168

I'm afraid I can't add much more... I know the sound when I hear it, but I've never tried to emulate it.

Thank you Diophantine. No I didn't exactly look at anything that old. Only because I was thinking that there has been more modules developed/released in the last few years that's all. I know some modules have a long run span but a lot of times I'll come across a thread about some cool module that I think I need only to find out that it has been discontinued years ago.
Sir Ruff
Assuming you don’t mean a perfect 303 emulation... I got some great basic acid out of my FSFX lopass gate. Lower slope and strong resonance produced a nice blippy sound. I also got some pretty wild sounds when feeding my Grove Audio resonator panel into my Oakley journeyman filter.

Anything with a lower (e.g. 12db) slope and strong/harsh rez would be my starting point. Almost as important will be maximizing the gain structure so that you are pushing those filters a little more at the input.
fac
IMVHO, the filter is not that important for the acid sound, unless you want to emulate the 303 to perfection. For me, the ability to add slides to the sequence has much more impact; this can be done with a voltage-controlled slew limiter such as the dotcom one or many others.

That said, I always go with the dotcom Q107 SVF for acid sequences. Whether you want a clean bubbly sequence, or a distorted one (by removing the soft clipping jumper), the Q107 delivers. I usually resort to my FutureRetro Mobius for sequencing these lines, but the Q119+Q105 combo also works well, using one Q119 row for controlling the slew.
josaka
the corsynth C101/b does it ..EXACTLY ...
even better perhaps as you have more control.. stick an evelope into the res CV input.

a lot of the acid sound is the low note priority ..swing..feel and glide in the sequences.
Thalassa
Hi, Synth Con Meo. As the other people have said the sequence, slides etc are really important when you try to recreate a tb303 bass line. I've recorded for you a demo using the C101 MKII and the C110. I've programmed the sequence in the Arturia Beatsep Pro.
The first part is the C101 MKII - 24db output. The second one is also de C101 MKII but the 6db output. The last one is the C110 2044 VCF. Since adding distortion to the 303 lines is really normal in each demo after a bit of knob tweaking I add distortion using the C103 MKII.

What do you think?

[s]http://soundcloud.com/corsynth/vcf303[/s]
Synthbuilder
It's very difficult to emulate the TB303 in modular. But you also have to remember that the 303 sound is often not just the 303 but with an added external distortion effect, quite often just an overdriven input stage of a mixing desk.

The filter is important though, but there's quite a few acid style tracks done with the MC-202 whose filter is a rather different beast than the one in the TB-303. So a high resonance (but not ever self oscillating) four pole filter going into an overdrive or distortion box is going to get you some way there.

Slides are important. And on any slide that new note does not re-trigger the envelope. The output VCA's envelope has no sustain as such but the decay time is quite long. Attack and release times are quite short. The VCF in the TB303 has its own envelope, this time it's a simple AD type. The decay time is controlled by the decay pot but the decay time is shortened drastically when any note step is accented.

The accent, however, does a few other things too. Firstly, it's makes the output VCA open higher by adding the VCF's envelope to the VCA's own envelope, the amount of which is controlled by the accent pot. The other thing it does is make the filter open more. But not only does the accent pot control the amount the filter opens under the accent, so does the resonance pot. The more the resonance pot is turned up the greater the filter opens.

This accent envelope gets larger in size if its retriggered while its still in action. This can be simulated to a certain extent by a lag generator with a shortish, but not zero, attack time.

Because so many classic acid tracks were just programmed randomly, or semi-randomly, into the TB-303 there some interesting note choices. That is, there's quite a few notes that would be considered out of tune in 'traditional' music.

I'm not sure that swing is an inherent part of the TB-303 sound, although individual tracks may well have this. The triggering of any TB-303 note is pretty good but there is a small inherent timing error imposed by the limitations of the hardware.

Tony
Thalassa
Great info Tony! thumbs up
josaka
depends on taste and talent.. most straight acid is m.o.r dull pop fodder..the 303 had great swing.. and for me is a big part..
a lot of acid tracks just had a 303 in it so they could write ACID on the label to sell their tracks to a ready made crowd..
exact same thing has happened to techno.. been watered down so much everything is techno.. both these things have a core feel.. if you are doing straight 16s.. generally .. that aint it.. (most 5u sequncers have little or no 'feel'..)

the feel is a big part of these...
hamildad
MegaOhms MS20 clone will get you close as its a MS20 filter which has the nasty resonance you are looking for.

I have got a nice acid effect using my Monotribe, which has a MS20 filter architecture.

Here's some lower bpm 303 business....

erroraudio
Get a Re-303 and don’t look back....
fac
Here's my take on the 303-ish acid sound starting on minute 16:00 (give it time, it evolves slowly):

IIRC, the patch uses a single Q106 VCO through a Q150 filter, sequenced with the FR Mobius. Although I like the 303 sound, I've never felt the need to get an original or a more faithful clone because the Mobius + basic mono voice does it pretty well.
Synth Con Meo
This is great information here! Yeah I get it that there is more to the "303" sound then just the filter. I am not looking to get an exact sound matching the 303 (although that would be fine). Again I am no expert at of what exactly is the 303 sound, I just know I've heard emulations from people with different filters and such that give that squelchy type of 303 sound that I like.

I actually have a Roland Boutique TB-03. I was just thinking since I have this nice 5U modular that if I can kind of emulate that type of sound with it (again it doesn't need to be exact) that would be nice.

Thank you Thalassa for the recording and for the rest for more links to check out.

Synth Con Meo <RIP> Kibou sad
josaka
just resonance wont get it done the ms20 res is different from the roland 4 pole cascaded thing.. its the same with the other filters mentioned.. I have a few of them and they cant do 303 resonance.

hamildad wrote:
MegaOhms MS20 clone will get you close as its a MS20 filter which has the nasty resonance you are looking for.

I have got a nice acid effect using my Monotribe, which has a MS20 filter architecture.

Here's some lower bpm 303 business....

fac
josaka wrote:
just resonance wont get it done the ms20 res is different from the roland 4 pole cascaded thing.. its the same with the other filters mentioned.. I have a few of them and they cant do 303 resonance.

I don't think the OP cares. It's not about doing the most faithful reproduction of the 303 sound.
josaka
fac wrote:
josaka wrote:

I don't think the OP cares. It's not about doing the most faithful reproduction of the 303 sound.

I agree .. but people do think its all the same..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1