MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

JH Trapezoid in a single MU
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author JH Trapezoid in a single MU
megaohm
Built this recently for a custom job. Wasn't sure how or if it would work in a single MU space. I was apprehensive the controls would be too cramped.
It actually worked well and all controls are easy to use.
Will be building one for myself now.
Was thinking there may be a person or two on MW who would like one of these.
If so, get in touch with me at my main email address:
phil[at]megaohmaudio.com

Some notes:
extends 5" behind panel, mounted to metal bracket.
6-pin DotCom power connector
Engraved lines and text
2-4 weeks from order to ship
$365

elmerfudd
Killer,killer module, great build, sonic bliss. Phill has made a couple of these in Modcan A format for me. Couple of my favorite modules.
josaka
looks lovely phil.. smile
does the VCA add colour..?
and how does the bias effect it all..?
Flareless
Kudos for an outstanding panelling!

It must have been a lot of fun to wire. Well done.
fac
josaka wrote:

If I'm reading the panel correctly, the bias knob acts as a crossfader between the envelope signal and a constant (probably +5V) voltage, so that when the knob is fully counterclockwise the VCA is only affected by the envelope, and when the knob is fully clockwise, the VCA is always fully open.

Looks like a very useful module but I can't really afford it right now :(
megaohm
fac wrote:
josaka wrote:

If I'm reading the panel correctly, the bias knob acts as a crossfader between the envelope signal and a constant (probably +5V) voltage, so that when the knob is fully counterclockwise the VCA is only affected by the envelope, and when the knob is fully clockwise, the VCA is always fully open.

fac got it exactly right.
Fun with the trap in repeat mode.
I didn't notice anything pronounced as far as the VCA adding color.
The core of the VCA is discrete but...
I will defer to others here. The build should sound the same as other versions of this module out there so maybe those who have had it in system for awhile can give their impression of it compared to other VCAs.

Something to note is the OFF knob has "RPT" and "G" settings. This is repeat and gate modes. The only time it is gated is when the pot is full CW. All other settings are repeating. The ON and OFF settings make it so interesting to me. It's fun because it gives a lot of unexpected but useful results.

The red audio trigger toggle when set ON will fire the trap based on the level of the VCA inputs. No knob. Just a trimmer in the back I set to around 1V. Signal crossing 1V and the trap starts.

The circuit runs off +/-12V internally. There are regulators on board to produce the +/12V from the DotCom power/header and a euro header after the regs. You can use the euro header to power a euro module. Could be useful to someone?
seriously, i just don't get it
Well, it's there.
megaohm
Flareless wrote:
Kudos for an outstanding panelling!

It must have been a lot of fun to wire. Well done.

Thanks!
The wiring is time consuming but not bad, really.
Everything is connected to the pcb via MTA100 connects so I didn't have to do much soldering in the congestion.
Here's another pic of the back.

megaohm
elmerfudd wrote:
Killer,killer module, great build, sonic bliss. Phill has made a couple of these in Modcan A format for me. Couple of my favorite modules.

Those are my favorite A Series panels.
I started putting together a cab for that format because of it.
nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1