MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Longer delays: *MP3 AUDIO FILE*
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs  
Author Longer delays: *MP3 AUDIO FILE*
russma
The module description states:

"You can even force the module for longer delays, but digital quantizing noise becomes audible - but who's to say what's musical and what's not?
"

So, somebody post a sound clip of the quantizing noise already!

seriously, i just don't get it

hihi
Kent
It sounds like a fancy-pants way of saying that you can reduce the sampling rate.
krv
Things I don't understand...are way too many, I know...but isn't this a digital delay?
ritchiedrums
Here it is!!

4 notes into SSL delay.
I steadily increased the LFO rate to the CV in
and tweeked the DELAY, RECIRC & CV knobs throughout.....
dslocum
I want to publicly thank Ritchie for the videos and audio clips of my module. I've been really too busy designing the next "great?" module that I haven't had a chance to put together something myself. Nice job, Ritchie!

BTW, that last clip really gets to a simple sound and just how much (or little, depending on your prespective) delay you can really get. When it's at Max delay on the front panel, it goes pretty far "into the grass", noise wise but because Ritchie seemed to always have some delay modulation, the quantizing noise not terribly apparent because it doesn't last that long. Maybe asked nicely, Ritchie could do one more quick audio that shows the 1310 at steady Max delay. There's only so much delay you can squeeze out of that chip!

Regarding the "noise" question - I could get beat-up here, but for the sake of this discussion, I'm going to say that quantizing and sampling noise are roughly the same thing. (running and ducking)

Yes, this IS a DIGITAL delay, in that the incoming audio is first converted from the analog world to the digital world, then delayed inthe digital world, and finally converted back to analog. Whereas a true analog bucket brigade (BBD style) delay, will stay in the analog world.

Frankly, IMHO (beat me now please), from a strict technical standpoint, I can't see how there's a significant audible difference, except in the pre & post filtering, combined with subtile (and this is where the real deltas are), the minute voltage losses between analog shift register stages in the BBDs. This could be a whole sidebar discussion that would likely only exume the dead horse, only to beat it again. Any takers? hihi

ALSO - If anyone who has a deposit gets cold feet, I'll refund your deposit. Since this 1310 is my entre into this market, if anyone of the "first run" folks don't absolutely love it within 30 days in resellable condition, I'll refund every penny you spent, including your return shipping. I want my customer service to approach or be on par with Roger's @ Synthesizers.com. I think it's the best way to gain and retain customers - long term!!!!! Thanks for the business model Roger!

Confidence? Neah, just stupid I guess. nanners
krv
dslocum wrote:

Yes, this IS a DIGITAL delay, in that the incoming audio is first converted from the analog world to the digital world, then delayed inthe digital world, and finally converted back to analog. Whereas a true analog bucket brigade (BBD style) delay, will stay in the analog world.

Aaaah... now I get it, thanks! thumbs up

dslocum wrote:

Frankly, IMHO (beat me now please), from a strict technical standpoint, I can't see how there's a significant audible difference, except in the pre & post filtering, combined with subtile (and this is where the real deltas are), the minute voltage losses between analog shift register stages in the BBDs. This could be a whole sidebar discussion that would likely only exume the dead horse, only to beat it again. Any takers? hihi

I won't enter any discussion digital vs. analog delay, I love them both and I own them both just wasn't sure which one yours was, it sounds lovely anyway!
ritchiedrums
I have digital & analog delays that are in use constantly.
It's hard top believe anyone will not be happy with this $200.00 module.
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
fac
What? So this thing introduces digital artifacts?

Bring it ON!

I love me some quantizing noise. I have a Yamaha E1010 BBD delay as part of my modular setup, and while I love it, the noise floor sometimes drives me crazy. I also have an Electrix MoFx (100% digital), and I love running signals through it with a very short delay time and high feedback because it sounds like sample rate reduction. Every delay box I've used does its own thing.
analogsteve
dslocum wrote:
If anyone who has a deposit gets cold feet, I'll refund your deposit. Since this 1310 is my entre into this market, if anyone of the "first run" folks don't absolutely love it within 30 days in resellable condition, I'll refund every penny you spent, including your return shipping. I want my customer service to approach or be on par with Roger's @ Synthesizers.com. I think it's the best way to gain and retain customers - long term!!!!! Thanks for the business model Roger!

Confidence? Neah, just stupid I guess. nanners

Wow. That is really going above and beyond. Awesome.
russma
I might be misreading the direction this thread is taking, but for the record, I only requested clips so that I could hear how awesome the quantizing noise will sound, not because I'm concerned I won't like the module.

w00t
essex sound lab
idiotboy wrote:
I might be misreading the direction this thread is taking, but for the record, I only requested clips so that I could hear how awesome the quantizing noise will sound, not because I'm concerned I won't like the module.

w00t

That's how I took it, FWIW. hihi
ritchiedrums
I'm pretty sure the noizy delay at the end of this MP3 is it,
but I could be wrong d'oh!
BTW SlayerBadger! This thing is Awsome(and I never use that A-word lol )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs  
Page 1 of 1