MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sequence modifiers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author sequence modifiers?
Niggle
Hello wigglers,

Im very new to modular, loving it so far.

Im wondering if what I have in mind is possible, im still learning about how all the different modules function...

Im using an octatrack as my sequencer and that isnt likely to change any time soon. What I would like to do though is introduce some automated variations into my sequences, I use conditional trigs already but I would like to take it further.

Are there modules that would modify the data sent out by the octatrack, adding variation to rhythm and pitch automatically?

Thanks
what gives?
The short answer is yes.

Long answer is that it totally depends on what you actually want to accomplish within the eurorack realm. If you're looking to process the signals and convert them back into midi signals for the octatrack it might be a bit of a hassle, but still probably doable. It depends on what level of complexity you're willing to tolerate. hihi

Care to elaborate how you'd like the automation to behave?
Niggle
thanks for your reply.

so currently im sending midi sequences to my modular from the octatrack via a cv ocd box. ideally i would create a simple riff on the octatrack, send it out of cv 1 on the cv ocd box and into a module/modules which would modify the pitch and rhythm of the sequence to provide variation.

any modules that would do this?
fac
Just so I understand your setup, am I correct in assuming that you're sequencing your modular from the Octatrack using MIDI? In other words, do you have a MIDI interface in your modular that takes the MIDI signal from the Octa and outputs pitch and gate (and possibly velocity) CVs ?

If that's the case, you can use mixers to add modulation to your pitch and velocity signals. For instance, I do this a lot:

- Use a mixer to add a small amount of noise to the pitch signal (this would require a noise source and a mixer). Make sure you can control the level of the noise.

- Run the output of the mixer through a quantizer to make sure the noisy pitch signal still gives you pitches in the scale (this is optional, but would require a quantizer module)

- Send the quantized noisy pitch signal to your VCOs.

When the noise level is set at zero, you get the original sequence (in this case, from the Octatrack), but as you turn the noise up you will get more and more extreme variations in the sequence.

Do a similar thing for the gate/velocity signal and you will get rhythmic variations as well. Although in this case I prefer to use a cyclic signal (e.g., an LFO) to generate a sort of groove.

Other module that could be useful to you would be a gate delay with CV control of the delay time. This would allow you to move notes off the Octatrack time grid and achieve things like swing and different grooves.
Niggle
fac wrote:
Just so I understand your setup, am I correct in assuming that you're sequencing your modular from the Octatrack using MIDI? In other words, do you have a MIDI interface in your modular that takes the MIDI signal from the Octa and outputs pitch and gate (and possibly velocity) CVs ?

im using a 64 pixels cv ocd box to convert the midi from the octatrack into cv.

I like the sound of that trick with noise and a mixer! Currently though i have neither a noise source or quantizer though. are there any demo videos of this technique?
what gives?
I believe noise engineerings mimetic sequent or flames quad cv recorder can randomize prerecorded cv sequences. You'll also need a cv to midi converter, obviously.
c0rpse
I don't have experience with it myself, but it seems like Mutable Instrument's Marbles should be perfect for this use.
electricanada
Once you have your sequence CV in the modular, there are many ways to get variations on it. You can invert it, transpose it, S&H it, and make combinations of the above. It's fairly trivial to get pseudo-polyphony out of a single sequence using these tricks.
Noodle Twister
This may possibly be of interest. http://transientmodules.com/1f
I think you could send in two CV's from the CVOCD and then the module will switch between them to provide your variations.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1