MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A module that can precisely delay incoming CV to the output?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A module that can precisely delay incoming CV to the output?
Gringo Starr
I’m still in the dark in some aspects of the modular world. So maybe a very rookie question here.

Is there a module in Eurorack that can hold any cv it’s recieved in its entirety and hold on to it until it’s instructed to release it... also while storing different incoming cv’s on a separate in/out channel?

In my head, which often doesn’t pan out when I try to implement it, I have an idea to use something like the ACL Sinfonion which sends out four quantized CV’s at the same time that makes a chord and then be able to take those four simultaneously released quantized CV’s and be able to send them into something that I can easily adjust the timing of when those CV’s hit the oscillators. Is this exactly what a CV recorder can do? I was thinking maybe an Analog Shit Register but not quite.
Yes Powder
Your description seems to be going back-and-forth between analog shift register, a CV recorder, and a sample and hold module.
arthurdent
Four separate S&H with some kinda trigger device to release the CV's?!?! seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it

EDIT:
Actually, I guess the signals would have to go to a VCA that gets triggered to send them to an oscillator - I think?
Northpaw27
Clouds can *kinda* do this depending on the buffer size settings and the position control but its pretty fiddly to set up and would only delay one CV
Sandrine
So it's static CV's? Or moving CV's? RIT_M's could do the moving CV's but it would take 4 of them, and not really hands-free. The Flame Quad CV recorder looks to fit the bill but probably wouldn't "play" CV's until they are recorded
JES
Why not a timed poly sequencer? You could advance it with a clock or however you like. You could do this with the Five12 Vector plus expander and I’m sure there are others.
pelang
stages can delay CV, however not storing
mdoudoroff
Gringo Starr, if I understand correctly, what you envision is four FIFO stacks (computer terminology). Metaphorically like a stack of cards, where you can be adding (input) sampled (via trigger/gate) CV values to the top of the stack on the one hand, and independently (separate clock or trigger) discard ones off the bottom (output) of the stack. Does that sound about right?

If so, I’m not aware of any module that does this, per se. I suspect—but cannot myself verify—that it can be done with a pretty simple Monome Teletype script, although to handle four Sinfonion pitches, you’ll need an expander or two for the Teletype.
cackland
Agree with mdoudoroff, a FIFO (first in, first out) vector (buffer array) would be an ideal way of implementing this using a MCU (stm32 or like minded microcontroller)

I don’t believe there is anything like this in euro, however wouldn’t be difficult to build if you have any programming / EE experience.
Yes Powder
Isn’t this basically what the Doepfer A152 does, or am I missing something?
danishchairs
This is an interesting query/idea. Just to add a little more detail to the good posts above:

The Flame Quad CV Recorder can record continuously (that is, at a high resolution) for about 1 minute per channel, or can record for (potentially) much longer by clock or MIDI clock ticks (at (potentially) a much lower resolution). It can hold its recordings until you want to play them back. However, it cannot continue to record on any channel that is playing/outputting its recording.

An analog shift register (like the Synthesis Technology E102 Quad Temporal Shifter) can record one sample per internal or external clock tick. It can continue to record while playing back what's in its memory. However, it cannot simply trigger the timing of its output. That is dependent on the delay settings of the module mixed with delay CV.

Delay modules like the 4MS Dual Looping Delay could also store an incoming stream and play it back. I think you'd have to set up the parameters carefully. Also, it's 2 channels, not 4.

Edited for clarity.
evs
the mungo g0 can delay one channel of cv..
and maybe the d0 should be capable of doing it? if it can, that would be 2 channels..
Funky40
what the OP wants is what we call a "delay" in the audio world, not ?
edit: wait no, ....he wants a sampler then, respectivly both in one ?

the needs for a CV delay is coming up here again and again........, but nobody would ever build something that suits, no seriously, i just don't get it
And ofcourse would we want to have a CV delay for several CV streams at hand, no ?
so should be as simple and small as some people have built their common audio delays........heck, its doable. wink

and again and again will John from mungo chim in and tell us that the D0 will do the job......
yeah, for how much money and how much confusion in regards to the handling ?
That was the conclusion of all these threads so far lol

YES, i also want a CV delay !........like a audio delay, just for CVs ya know wink
autopoiesis
FYI disting's delays work on CV, though I don't know if there is voltage droop

OP: you mentioned Analog Shit Register, for that there is the Benjolin
evs
Funky40 wrote:
what the OP wants is what we call a "delay" in the audio world, not ?

the needs for a CV delay is coming up here again and again........, but nobody would ever build something that suits, no seriously, i just don't get it
And ofcourse would we want to have a CV delay for several CV streams at hand, no ?
so should be as simple and small as some people have built their common audio delays........heck, its doable. wink

and again and again will John from mungo chim in and tell us that the D0 will do the job......
yeah, for how much money and how much confusion in regards to the handling ?
That was the conclusion of all these threads so far lol

YES, i also want a CV delay !........like a audio delay, just for CVs ya know wink

hm, the d0 is not really confusing, very straight forward.. never had the need to delay cv, but i could try out with mine..
cloudleft
the Mungo d0 inputs are DC-coupled so it can delay CVs. Getting the timing to be synchronized to a patch requires a clock signal to the clock input, but since the delay line is always 'running' you can't store the CV indefinitely and recall it at will.
evs
Yes, that’s just doable with the g0. Hold the buffer with a high voltage for as long as you want, but play it on loop during that time... don‘t think there’s a way to trigger it to let it start at a certain point..
sir stony
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/analogue-systems-rs-450

Very big, veeerrry deep in size, and hella expensive. But it might do what you wish.

edit: I don't think it will work just like a delay, though.
Dark Barn
I’m not well acquainted with the CV sampling aspect of it but the SSP can do this, record up to 16 CV sources and playback 8 directly, I’m not sure how immediately you can go from recording to playback, I think a pedal style looper feature is still in the works for the sampler module. Or
Maybe
Paranormal Patroler
What you're describing is the Modcan CV Record. Two tracks, runs on its own clock, can record the signal and then fire it like an envelope or one shot sample.
tito_tunes
Why not just trigger all 4 voices at once and use 4 audio delays?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1