MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1v/oct question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 1v/oct question
Leisure Cove
I tried controlling the frequency of my ELF LFO with the CV out of a Moog Rogue... this happened:

http://vimeo.com/2325136

What do you all think-- is the ELF LFO not tracking properly, or is the voltage coming out of the Moog no longer 1v/oct? And in latter case, how could I check? What would I use to measure control voltage?

Thanks!
wetterberg
a multimeter - you should generally own one if you have a modular synth.

1 volt per octave - an interval quite easily measured, too smile
Leisure Cove
Indeed-- I'll pick one up. Thanks!
wetterberg
no problem. I'll be looking forward to that, by the way, since I have a sneaking feeling it's the ELF not tracking. And I'm on the fence about them at the moment.
MrDys
It's an LFO, not an oscillator. Don't expect oscillator tracking out of it.
chinard
doepfer makes a decent quantizer module (A-156)
its what i use in my rig for this task to get an lfo to pitch track such as you are trying here.
wetterberg
MrDys wrote:

Plan B wrote:
The Model 37 ELF LFO has an identity problem. While specifically designed as an LFO, it's massive frequency range 1 cycle per 30 seconds to over 20Hkz makes it the perfect candidate for utility audio VCO applications. Incorporating a heavily-modified version of the TAU triangle core architecture, the M37 is capable of 1v/oct tracking across it's entire operating range when the external VC Attenuator is set to the full clockwise position.

There's nothing strange about wanting the ELF to track properly - it's advertised as such.
astroschnautzer
wetterberg wrote:
MrDys wrote:

Plan B wrote:
The Model 37 ELF LFO has an identity problem. While specifically designed as an LFO, it's massive frequency range 1 cycle per 30 seconds to over 20Hkz makes it the perfect candidate for utility audio VCO applications. Incorporating a heavily-modified version of the TAU triangle core architecture, the M37 is capable of 1v/oct tracking across it's entire operating range when the external VC Attenuator is set to the full clockwise position.

There's nothing strange about wanting the ELF to track properly - it's advertised as such.
At some forum there was a thread about many people complaining about the elf lfo not tracking v/oct correctly, I guess it doesn`t then. I don`t think they should be advertised as such, there are other plan b products also that are advertised to do things they don`t do.
flts
ELF LFO is a bitch to get around the V/oct scaling area - at least mine needs VC attenuator set to somewhat less than fully clockwise. And even then it doesn't track too well - somewhat close but that Plan B page majorly overstates how well. And I don't mean like "hey, it's a few cents off", but that it's a major PITA to try to do anything melodic with it. The basic osc timbre is really nice though.

I don't know if I have one that was badly calibrated out of the box or what, but I remember Rewire echoed that it's not a very good V/oct osc so at least I'm not alone. It IS awesome considering it's a LFO and not Cwejman though lol
wetterberg
thanks for the info, lads - it's all I needed to know! Time for "Plan D" - buying up Doepfer 110s and modding them twisted

110s and Doepfer vcLFOs is my new plan of attack smile
astroschnautzer
wetterberg wrote:
thanks for the info, lads - it's all I needed to know! Time for "Plan D" - buying up Doepfer 110s and modding them twisted

110s and Doepfer vcLFOs is my new plan of attack smile
...interesting...
felix
flts wrote:
ELF LFO is a bitch to get around the V/oct scaling area - at least mine needs VC attenuator set to somewhat less than fully clockwise. And even then it doesn't track too well - somewhat close but that Plan B page majorly overstates how well. And I don't mean like "hey, it's a few cents off", but that it's a major PITA to try to do anything melodic with it. The basic osc timbre is really nice though.

I don't know if I have one that was badly calibrated out of the box or what, but I remember Rewire echoed that it's not a very good V/oct osc so at least I'm not alone. It IS awesome considering it's a LFO and not Cwejman though lol

That's quite a disappointment. I was hoping to get a few mini-M15s out of the ELF LFOs. I'd rather get a 2nd Vulcan now.
Leisure Cove
felix wrote:

That's quite a disappointment. I was hoping to get a few mini-M15s out of the ELF LFOs.

My feeling exactly. Especially for a small, budget-challenged system (read: mine), the ELF LFO seemed to me to be an ideal way to fit a bunch of oscillators into the equation. Plus, it doesn't sound half bad in VCO mode!

Other ELF LFO owners: does your unit track? I'll fiddle with the VC Freq knob on mine tonight and see if I can't stumble across a position that scales v/oct. Maybe it's secretly a bi-polar attenuator... confused
flts
Leisure Cove wrote:
Other ELF LFO owners: does your unit track? I'll fiddle with the VC Freq knob on mine tonight and see if I can't stumble across a position that scales v/oct. Maybe it's secretly a bi-polar attenuator... confused

There IS a position where it will track close to V/oct, it's just a bitch to get right since there's just a little single turn knob for the whole VC attenuation... on my ELF LFO, it's somewhere between the middle and full VC. And even then it's like "well it gets close to V/oct but starts deviating quite quickly".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1