MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge power supply options for multi-panel (=>3) system?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge power supply options for multi-panel (=>3) system?
Sir Ruff
I know about the R*S supplies, but I would like to not have to modify anything that currently has a molex connector (also trying to keep power running out the rear of boat). Are there any other bigger PSUs or power distribution options? Elby? (couldn't find anything specific on their site). I should also add that I need something pre-built.
Gandalf
Sir Ruff wrote:
I know about the R*S supplies, but I would like to not have to modify anything that currently has a molex connector (also trying to keep power running out the rear of boat). Are there any other bigger PSUs or power distribution options? Elby? (couldn't find anything specific on their site). I should also add that I need something pre-built.

ELBY Designs PSU-10 is designed for 3 boats.
Their unit is terminated with 3x 4-pin MIC connectors (like they use on CB radios) so it is just a matter of making a cable that terminates with whatever you need (the Elby boats have a mating 4-pin connector mounted on the bottom of the boat)
Sir Ruff
Gandalf wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

ELBY Designs PSU-10 is designed for 3 boats

Ok, thanks! clearly didn't look hard enough for this.

What do people use for four panels?
syncretism
I can recommend builders who'll put together cabled with 4-pin XLR and 4-pin STS-styled connectors if you don't want to make your own.

Konstant Lab's Cihla is a nice one, and sturdily-built; I typically use it to power my Stroh panels, but it's worked fine with Serge, too.

My guess is that "1.5 amps" is probably accompanied by a disclaimer somewhere similar to R*S that you should shoot for maybe half that. This isn't ideal, but your selection of four panels may operate just fine; while the "Sing to Me" looks quite dense and perhaps draws more than a typical panel, the TKB you've asserted an interest in acquiring has very low power requirements.

For my own part, the wiring in my house seems to be a bigger issue than my power supplies.

There is of, course, Graham Hinton and presumably other higher-end options (and STS). I have no experience with those and cannot comment but the forum is filled with people praising his products.
Sir Ruff
syncretism wrote:
I can recommend builders who'll put together cabled with 4-pin XLR and 4-pin STS-styled connectors if you don't want to make your own.

Konstant Lab's Cihla is a nice one, and sturdily-built; I typically use it to power my Stroh panels, but it's worked fine with Serge, too.

My guess is that "1.5 amps" is probably accompanied by a disclaimer somewhere similar to R*S that you should shoot for maybe half that. This isn't ideal, but your selection of four panels may operate just fine; while the "Sing to Me" looks quite dense and perhaps draws more than a typical panel, the TKB you've asserted an interest in acquiring has very low power requirements.

For my own part, the wiring in my house seems to be a bigger issue than my power supplies.

There is of, course, Graham Hinton and presumably other higher-end options (and STS). I have no experience with those and cannot comment but the forum is filled with people praising his products.

thanks!

And totally d'oh! here because I didn't realize that the 4-pin XLR jack was standard for Serge. In that case R*S becomes and option again. Where does one buy the XLR to molex connectors? This must be fairly standard? I didn't see any for sale on the Konstant Lab page...
syncretism
Sorry, I meant that KL makes a nice PSU.
They might build you some cables if you bought a supply. Can’t hurt to ask. Otherwise, there’s a link to a post with all the Mouser parts in my previous reply.
Gandalf
Sir Ruff wrote:
syncretism wrote:

thanks!

And totally d'oh! here because I didn't realize that the 4-pin XLR jack was standard for Serge. In that case R*S becomes and option again. Where does one buy the XLR to molex connectors? This must be fairly standard? I didn't see any for sale on the Konstant Lab page...

Who said XLR was standard for Serge? They definitely weren't back in the 1970's when it started and it is only recently that SOME people have started using them
Sir Ruff
Gandalf wrote:
Who said XLR was standard for Serge? They definitely weren't back in the 1970's when it started and it is only recently that SOME people have started using them

what I mean is the connection on the power supply, not at the panel end. Doing a quick image search for PSUs I saw 4-pin XLRs across the board. But maybe I'm wrong? I've only ever used PS2As with hardwired cables with molex ends, never anything with a detachable cable (except for a stroh panel that used a supply with XLRs--I treated that as a bespoke supply in my mind, but I guess that's still basically Serge).
luchog
Sir Ruff wrote:
Gandalf wrote:

what I mean is the connection on the power supply, not at the panel end. Doing a quick image search for PSUs I saw 4-pin XLRs across the board. But maybe I'm wrong? I've only ever used PS2As with hardwired cables with molex ends, never anything with a detachable cable (except for a stroh panel that used a supply with XLRs--I treated that as a bespoke supply in my mind, but I guess that's still basically Serge).

XLR are the standard used by Random*Source and Konstant Lab for their Serge power supplies, for PS to boat; with the panel-to-distro power connections being MTA-156. STS uses the 4-pin Molex. Elby uses the 4-pin MIC. Not sure What Loudest Warning uses.

As has been noted in a different thread, Serge power is a bit of a mess, with no standardization.

I'm getting a R*S power supply (as soon as they finish making the bloody thing and ship it) for my STS single-panel Serge. I just picked up the bits from Digikey and made the XLR-to-Molex adapter myself.
phineas
You can get a psu with xlr-connectors for three boats (using the elby design as far as I know) from Loudest Warning.
the bad producer
Yes, I build the Elby PSU-10 into boxes like this:

It is a great little portable PSU, switching with linear regulators on the outputs, uses laptop type charger so no mains involved inside, and will work anywhere in the world! This has been available for a long time already, and is cheaper than the new *RS* one - possibly nearly £100 cheaper if my maths is correct?!

A note regarding connectors - I use XLRs as most people I sell these to want XLRs (they already have things with XLR cables), but I can use Cliffcon etc. My power cables are split, the boats/panels have a cable popping out with a 'Serge' Molex connector which you plug into with an XLR-ended cable or any other cable with your choice of PSU connector (ie it is XLR to Molex).

I don't make 'Serge' power supplies as I don't only build Serge, not all 4U is Serge! The Elby PSU is available as +/-12V and +/-15V.
Gandalf
If you don't mind making your own enclosure, the PSU-10B can be supplied as a pre-assembled PCB assembly (or as a kit) and could drive more than 3 boats and you can fit with your own choice of output connectors.
The standard store version is+/-12V but if you contact Elby they can provide a +/-15V version
Sir Ruff
luchog wrote:
I'm getting a R*S power supply (as soon as they finish making the bloody thing and ship it) for my STS single-panel Serge. I just picked up the bits from Digikey and made the XLR-to-Molex adapter myself.

thanks for explaining! guess it isn't so standardized as I imagined. I guess making your own converter cables isn't that hard, I just prefer the pro route wherever possible.

the bad producer wrote:
Yes, I build the Elby PSU-10 into boxes like this:

cool! I have to reply to your email so I will ask about those.

Gandalf wrote:
If you don't mind making your own enclosure, the PSU-10B can be supplied as a pre-assembled PCB assembly (or as a kit) and could drive more than 3 boats and you can fit with your own choice of output connectors.
The standard store version is+/-12V but if you contact Elby they can provide a +/-15V version

yeah, that's definitely beyond my abilities unfortunately.
rampy
I use a Power One HCC-15-3AG that I built into a Hammond enclosure with XLR output. It puts out 3A at +/-15V, and 3.4A at +/- 12v. Plenty of power for 4 DIY Serge Panels (NCS1, NCS2, Swamp, Sturm und Drang), and I plan on squeezing a TKB in there as well. I made cables that are 4 pin XLR on one end and Molex 4 pin connector on the synth end. Only downside is that it's fairly bulk and heavy. With that said, I would build it into a larger enclosure if I did it again, the wiring inside is a little tight.
johnchantler
anyone know what the height of the elby PSU is without the enclosure? I'm looking for something that can ideally fit inside a 1U rack unit...
Gandalf
johnchantler wrote:
anyone know what the height of the elby PSU is without the enclosure? I'm looking for something that can ideally fit inside a 1U rack unit...

Less than 15mm I think
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1