MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Installing Rogans on BEMI 208
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Installing Rogans on BEMI 208
JamieDrouin
I have a set of Rogans that I'd like to install on my BEMI 208, which has plastic D-shafts, and am hoping for some suggestions on how best to do this.

The large Rogan knob is for round metal shaft and has two set screws. If I delicately tighten onto the 208's D-shaft it remains very wobbly, pivoting on the small point of contact between the shaft and screws.

The medium and small Rogans are for metal D-shaft, and have an additional metal tension strip in the hole, which is very resistant about being inserted on the plastic D-shaft of the 208.

Tips, tricks, etc are appreciated. Perhaps the metal tension strip in the medium and small knobs can be easily removed, making it suitable for use on a plastic D-shaft?

Thanks!

JamieDrouin wrote:
I have a set of Rogans that I'd like to install on my BEMI 208, which has plastic D-shafts, and am hoping for some suggestions on how best to do this.

The large Rogan knob is for round metal shaft and has two set screws. If I delicately tighten onto the 208's D-shaft it remains very wobbly, pivoting on the small point of contact between the shaft and screws.

The medium and small Rogans are for metal D-shaft, and have an additional metal tension strip in the hole, which is very resistant about being inserted on the plastic D-shaft of the 208.

Tips, tricks, etc are appreciated. Perhaps the metal tension strip in the medium and small knobs can be easily removed, making it suitable for use on a plastic D-shaft?

Thanks!

I tightend both screws till they were just about to "grab", then I positioned them on the shaft and tightened them in place. I made sure that one screw would sit on the flat surface of the shaft. I didn't have to remove the tension strips.

Where did you get your rogans from? I got mine from SaModular and didn't have the issues that you described.
JamieDrouin
I'm being very cautious about damaging the plastic shafts, hence asking before proceeding beyond the point-of-no-return. If I'm to use the metal tension inserts, and expect some resistance, that's fine. Just wish to know that going in ;-)

I'll have another go positioning the large knob as well.
JamieDrouin wrote:
I'm being very cautious about damaging the plastic shafts, hence asking before proceeding beyond the point-of-no-return. If I'm to use the metal tension inserts, and expect some resistance, that's fine. Just wish to know that going in ;-)

I'll have another go positioning the large knob as well.

I hear you :-)

After you go to fully tighten them down I would recommend giving the knob a full turn, making sure it runs parallel to the panel and doesn't get caught. I had to reposition one or two because it would have started to scratch the surface of the 218.
tobb
When you put the Rogans over the D shafts are the knobs a bit loose?

Rogan bore is 1/4'' = 6,35mm, if the D-shafts are metric (=6mm) you are left with 0,35mm

You can then use a brass shaft adapter to convert 6mm D-shaft to plain 1/4'' bore.
levelhead3
tobb wrote:
When you put the Rogans over the D shafts are the knobs a bit loose?

Rogan bore is 1/4'' = 6,35mm, if the D-shafts are metric (=6mm) you are left with 0,35mm

You can then use a brass shaft adapter to convert 6mm D-shaft to plain 1/4'' bore.

This.

The only issue I ran into is the brass sleeves are technically for converting 6mm split shaft pots to 1/4". As long as the flat section of the D doesn't correspond with the set screw placement all is well, but if it does (as it was on a couple of the pots on my 255) the sleeves have a tendency to crimp into the void between the flat edge and outer circumference before the knob is completely tight.

A small section of chopstick perfectly filled the void and allowed the set screw to tighten completely.

I've heard rumors of a proper d-shaft conversion sleeve but have been unable to find them.
tobb
Yes,you have to fill the gap with pieces of pcb material (or something made of hard material)

Most of the time the D gap will be at the wrong position.

Knobs with two setscrews are an easier fit on the shaft.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1