MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

crossfading between two oscillators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author crossfading between two oscillators
laurentius
I'm still pretty new to Make Noise Maths and trying to something like this: Is it possible to 'crossfade' between two different oscillators with it? I am not trying to to do stereo or panning. Simply have an lfo switching back and forth between the two. My only vca I have is Mutable Instruments Veils.
Would be cool if you have any tipps!

Thanks,
L.
syncretism
I haven't used MATHS in years and I've never used Veils, but I think this will get you what you need:

Signal 1 to Veils input 1
Signal 2 to Veils input 2

Maths' center channels should be:

CH1: fully CW
CH2: fully CCW (this will be a negative offset).
CH3: null or insert a plug into its output to remove it from the mixer
CH4: ""

Maths channel 1's unattenuated output (the "long ess" output) to Veils CV 1
Maths "SUM" out to Veils CV 2.

Adjust slope times to taste. You may need to "dial in" the center channels to ensure that you're getting an accurate inversion of channel one's "long ess."

The idea is that your inverted control voltage starts high and goes low, while your original one starts low and goes high.

It looks like Veils' outputs are normalled and it acts as a mixer, so you could use the right side of Maths to manipulate your final VCA, or as a filter, or even to modulate Channel 1's slopes.

I think I got this right.
laurentius
THANKS A LOT!

I will try it this weekend. Sounds very promising!
zerodivide
coudln't you pipe both oscillators to a dual (or triple or quad) VCA and then use an LFO on the VCA's channel 1 CV input, and an inverted copy of that LFO to Channel 2, this should get you perfect crossfades based on the LFO rate
cptnal
zerodivide wrote:
coudln't you pipe both oscillators to a dual (or triple or quad) VCA and then use an LFO on the VCA's channel 1 CV input, and an inverted copy of that LFO to Channel 2, this should get you perfect crossfades based on the LFO rate

No, because both sides would be silent when the modulator crosses zero. You'd need two overlapping. Of course the best thing would be to try it and see what happens... This is fun!
zerodivide
cptnal wrote:
zerodivide wrote:

No, because both sides would be silent when the modulator crosses zero. You'd need two overlapping. Of course the best thing would be to try it and see what happens... This is fun!

true if the LFO was a linear line shape. But if its an expontential ramp I don't believe so. Certainly there's some shape that keeps the amplitude "constant". afterall its possible to draw a crossfade shape in a DAW like Cubase between 2 sounds and maintain volume
zerodivide
found this chart from some Ableton thread:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary  /L/LiveTech0907_Box1Curve-vITEOxzaD2bHa96kawNXOOfGzJBgDN4w.jpg
cptnal
zerodivide wrote:
found this chart from some Ableton thread:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary  /L/LiveTech0907_Box1Curve-vITEOxzaD2bHa96kawNXOOfGzJBgDN4w.jpg

I see. So it would work with a unipolar saw or triangle for instance. The bendy ones wouldn't work though - the direction of the curves would be inverted too.

But then if you fed a linear CV into an exponential VCA... hmmm.....

Edit: In fact, no - You'd still have to add an offset to the inverted signal to bring it into the positive domain. If you're inverting you're not just turning the waveform upside down, you're multiplying it by -1.
laurentius
zerodivide wrote:

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I am sorry though for having posted this right before getting on the road. Right now I cannot try out your suggestions. But next week I am back in the studio and will do so!
Thanks for your input.
dooj88
i've not worked out how to do it for veils, but blinds can do it

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1