MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fun with Pressure Points
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Fun with Pressure Points
felix
These bad boys have really changed how I interact with my system. Combined with a little processing from Maths and it's a control surface powerhouse.

The system feels so much more "instrument-y" now.

Improv #2:
Soy Sos
May I be the first to say..........Wicked!
MrDys
Damn, that's awesome.
amnesia
Nice one James

Can you make the Flip Flop downloadable ? Its going to be watched on the train home.
felix
Thanks guys!

@amnesia, just for you I will wink
Bricks
WOW. Gorgeous!!!
deastman
Awesome. Think I might need to add a couple more Pressure Points to my setup. Is that a walnut skiff?
sgnelson
Cool video felix, quite a nice use of the actual "pressure" part of the PP to get those extended length sounds.

Maybe a stupid question though, you say you're doing a single oscillator FM? How does one modulate the frequency without a second oscillator?
felix
@Bricks thanks!!

deastman wrote:
Awesome. Think I might need to add a couple more Pressure Points to my setup. Is that a walnut skiff?

Yeah it is indeed.
It took me a good week of pondering how exactly I wanted the 4 PP+Brains configured before screwing it all down, but I eventually came to the conclusion that having the 3 chained together and 1 hooked up to Brains was the best. Today was actually the first day of playing around with them screwed into the skiff haha!

sgnelson wrote:
Cool video felix, quite a nice use of the actual "pressure" part of the PP to get those extended length sounds.

Maybe a stupid question though, you say you're doing a single oscillator FM? How does one modulate the frequency without a second oscillator?

Thanks!! No, not a stupid question at all. It's really my stupid explanation. I frequently replace "operator" with "oscillator" in my head for some reason. It is in fact two VCOs (to be exact, it's a Cwejman VCO-2RM; 1st VCO in LFO mode, 2nd VCO in audio range and what you're hearing). That output is multed to the QMMG Ch1 and to the input of the A-137 waveshaper, the output of which goes to QMMG Ch2. The Gate output of the PP triggers a a very short Maths EG to "impulse" the QMMG Ch1. Pressure from the PP is run through two other Maths EG channels used as lag processors. The shorter lag time opens QMMG Ch2 and the longer opens a pair of VCAs, one attenuating the LFO signal to the VCO pitch the other attenuating the inverted LFO signal to the A137 folding level.

Some other things were patched up too (if you notice several LEDs blinking in sync) but they weren't affecting what you hear (or how the PP behaved) in any way.
elsuturo
very nice love
sgnelson
Ah, thanks for the explanation felix. That makes much more sense to me, I was just wondering if you had some magic powers that let you FM an VCO with your mind. we're not worthy

But you also bring up a point about the one thing that I'm hesitant about buying new brains modules and more PP's (I only have 1 PP, and it's a zombie sans brains), and that is I hope Tony is going to come out with a small module that will allow you to connect all the PP's to a central unit and switch between the functions of either sequencer or regular without having to unscrew the modules and having to reconnect all the cable every time you want to change the configuration. I'm too mercurial and too lazy to have to switch the cables when one day I want 2 sequencer units and 2 regulars and the next day 1 sequencer and 3 regulars or what have you.
felix
sgnelson wrote:
Ah, thanks for the explanation felix. That makes much more sense to me, I was just wondering if you had some magic powers that let you FM an VCO with your mind. we're not worthy

Haha, I wish!

sgnelson wrote:
But you also bring up a point about the one thing that I'm hesitant about buying new brains modules and more PP's (I only have 1 PP, and it's a zombie sans brains), and that is I hope Tony is going to come out with a small module that will allow you to connect all the PP's to a central unit and switch between the functions of either sequencer or regular without having to unscrew the modules and having to reconnect all the cable every time you want to change the configuration. I'm too mercurial and too lazy to have to switch the cables when one day I want 2 sequencer units and 2 regulars and the next day 1 sequencer and 3 regulars or what have you.

Yeah this is exactly what I spend so much time exploring (I actually was reconfiguring them around in the different ways and using them each for a day or two). I even investigated cooking up the "switching solution" myself. It's certainly not simple, but it's do-able...I too am to frugal with my time to undertake it. I still have my notes if suddenly I find the immediate need, but I found, for me personally, that the 3x PP chained and 1x PP + Brains to be the best. The main reason is that, while the Brains is extremely fun, it's also rudimentary. Playing the Pressure Points is coming naturally enough that I find it's easier/quicker for me to simply play a more advanced sequence than it would be to patch up all the necessary accessory modules. I do definitely like having the separate "un-chained" Pressure Points to use as "preset voltages" though. It makes changing very large aspects of a patch very easy. The transpose example in the video is very simple, but using it to change FM index ranges, voice mixes, LFO/clock rates, etc is all very [very] handy.

If anything, I could see having a switch to chain in 4th PP, but I think that would end up being the rarer case.

Then again, my opinion/needs might be totally different if I also didn't have the Z8000 and A-155.
Kent
Awesome...

Fucking...

Patch....

MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

This kinda thing reminds me of why I'm getting a 200e... I'd never want to tear that patch down!
numan7
felix wrote:
These bad boys have really changed how I interact with my system. Combined with a little processing from Maths and it's a control surface powerhouse.

The system feels so much more "instrument-y" now.

thumbs up it even feels *more* instrument-y than more than one traditional instrument i can think of!!!

have you tried mounting your points, brains and maths in your skiff, btw?

cheers,
n7
Liddlepud
Brilliant patch and video.

Thanks for giving me more modules to lust after.
knobs.
amazing!
jenamu6
Great patch, lovely performance...................thank you.
vlk
Really nice stuff!
Protofrangiste
Excellent video Felix, a very musical approach !
Here is something I was wondering (as I'm about to get 2 PP's and a brains module) If I connect the brains to the 2 PP's Can I still use each touch plate independently or do they work only as sequencer steps? You're talking about having to unscrew the modules and change the configuration...

Can someone explain me the 2 different configurations?

Soory for the noob question !
isaaclevy
amazing!
en.
yo!
Oldstench
SlayerBadger!
MrDys
Yeah...I totally just bought a pressure points (thanks, AH sale!) largely in part to this video.
rattlework
Great video. Now I need pressure points. I need Skiff. This is going to cost me.
HueMonContact
DAMN!!! that was really awesome! That patch is pure sickness SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3