MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How do I connect this board to this faceplate?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author How do I connect this board to this faceplate?
wendallsan
I bought a DJ Thomas White Quad LPG faceplate and PCB's and I'm trying to gather parts for the project. The project seems to have a lot of plate-mounted components, but I'm not sure how you actually connect the boards to the plate based on the builds I've done so far. The best example I've seen so far is from a different build of this board, where they have the boards mounted using 2 'perpendicular to the board' input jacks. I'm not sure if this will work with the boards I have since it looks like BOTH inputs are right next to each other, and if it would work, I'm not quite sure what jack they are using for this trick.

Here is the page with the photo I'm referring to (top one one the page):

https://modularsynthesis.com/nrm/lopass/lopass.htm

You can see that the OFFSET and RESONANCE jacks are mounted so they are perpendicular to the board, and then these can be used to mount the board. Would this work for my model and where can I get jacks like that?

The model I've got is from synthcube:

https://synthcube.com/cart/dj-thomas-white-quad-lpg?search=dj%20thomas %20white%20quad%20lpg&description=true

seriously, i just don't get it
it looks like youre supposed to use the resonance, offset, and mode switch as the mounting point, and the rest of the jacks and pots are wired back to the mainboard.
cygmu
There's a long thread about this panel set with various build questions and answers here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=667895

The panel's designer confirms in that thread that the offset and resonance pots (they're pots, not jacks!) are used to mount the board to the panel.
wendallsan
cygmu wrote:
There's a long thread about this panel set with various build questions and answers here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=667895

The panel's designer confirms in that thread that the offset and resonance pots (they're pots, not jacks!) are used to mount the board to the panel.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had found a couple other threads on this but this seems to be the de facto one that I need to read through. And thanks for the vocabulary correction-- I would have PROBABLY figured it out by the time I started soldering things (but not guaranteed)!
davebr
Those pots are mounted on the board so you don't have to hand-wire them. You should not use them to mount the board. The leads aren't designed for that amount of stress, although it will work but won't be robust. What you can't see in that photo is my bracket. The bracket mounts between those two pots and the faceplate and the PCB mounts to the bracket on standoffs. Larry Hendry (aka Stooge) used to make brackets out of stainless. Synthcube apparently carries an aluminum version but I cannot verify if the holes line up with the PCB. They might. I make all my brackets custom out of 0.050" aluminum. I use chicklets for all the off-PCB pots.

Dave

wendallsan wrote:
Here is the page with the photo I'm referring to (top one one the page):

https://modularsynthesis.com/nrm/lopass/lopass.htm

You can see that the OFFSET and RESONANCE jacks are mounted so they are perpendicular to the board, and then these can be used to mount the board.
wendallsan
davebr wrote:
Those pots are mounted on the board so you don't have to hand-wire them. You should not use them to mount the board. The leads aren't designed for that amount of stress, although it will work but won't be robust. What you can't see in that photo is my bracket. The bracket mounts between those two pots and the faceplate and the PCB mounts to the bracket on standoffs. Larry Hendry (aka Stooge) used to make brackets out of stainless. Synthcube apparently carries an aluminum version but I cannot verify if the holes line up with the PCB. They might. I make all my brackets custom out of 0.050" aluminum. I use chicklets for all the off-PCB pots.

Dave

Ah, yes I see that that bracket would make things much more solid! I can probably build something similar to it here at home now that I've laid eyes on it and see how the pro's are doing it. I was concerned about the durability of such a connection without additional support.

Those chiclets do look like they would make for some nice clean off-board connections, I'll keep them in mind as I place orders for this and/or future projects. If anything, it would save me from buying half lugged pots and half PCB-mount pots in the future for a project such as this, which is what I wound up doing this time.

Thanks for taking time to share these details! thumbs up
soup
It's dead simple to cut your own bracket out of roofing flashing from any hardware store. Hexinverter's video is nice if you want a how-to...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1