What's in your 4U Palette?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Garnoth wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm
I am wondering though if it's not just better to switch S-141 for a vox digitalis. Or remove the S-141/rnd step combo and make room for a mimetic digitalis to take care of pitch sequencing. Any thoughts on this case? I am quite new at this.
I see the 185-2 is 50mm which is likely not going to fit into the Palette. My Disting Mk4 *just* fits, when factoring in the add'l width of the ribbon cable and the neighboring modules/cables etc

The Lapsus Os has plenty of utility that would assist w/ pitch. Shades might be a an alternative to consider to free up some HP, or Frap tools 321. You could use the palette's mults to achieve some of the macro cv control of the Lapsus. Mimetic Digitalis and Shades are good companions, you can dial in the wide voltage range that MD spits out by default. Digitakt octaves can be set on the Digi, per note and pattern, so you can choose whatever octave your sound source can handle, as a workaround to getting octave shifts on that CV from within the case.

Side note: Check out Klavis Caltrans, it may have some of the transposition stuff you're interested in, in a compact HP.

uMidi has been reengineered in a smaller HP, not released yet, but it could save you a bit more space to then add a utility or sloth to the 1u row (you might consider another modulation source to feed the FX aid.

Also you might consider a small utility mixer (Shades can do this, too) in case you're interested in using both the VCO and VCF (in self oscillation) as sound sources. Have fun!

Garnoth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Garnoth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 am

ATW wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm
Garnoth wrote:
I am wondering though if it's not just better to switch S-141 for a vox digitalis. Or remove the S-141/rnd step combo and make room for a mimetic digitalis to take care of pitch sequencing. Any thoughts on this case? I am quite new at this.
I see the 185-2 is 50mm which is likely not going to fit into the Palette. My Disting Mk4 *just* fits, when factoring in the add'l width of the ribbon cable and the neighboring modules/cables etc

The Lapsus Os has plenty of utility that would assist w/ pitch. Shades might be a an alternative to consider to free up some HP, or Frap tools 321. You could use the palette's mults to achieve some of the macro cv control of the Lapsus. Mimetic Digitalis and Shades are good companions, you can dial in the wide voltage range that MD spits out by default. Digitakt octaves can be set on the Digi, per note and pattern, so you can choose whatever octave your sound source can handle, as a workaround to getting octave shifts on that CV from within the case.

Side note: Check out Klavis Caltrans, it may have some of the transposition stuff you're interested in, in a compact HP.

uMidi has been reengineered in a smaller HP, not released yet, but it could save you a bit more space to then add a utility or sloth to the 1u row (you might consider another modulation source to feed the FX aid.

Also you might consider a small utility mixer (Shades can do this, too) in case you're interested in using both the VCO and VCF (in self oscillation) as sound sources. Have fun!
Thanks so much for the feedback, didn't realize the A-185 was that deep. I reworked the design so I have pam's and ochd as the main modulation sources and stick to mimetic for pitch. If I want nice quantized melodies I'll use my digitakt to sequence it. Shades indeed gives me some additional room :)

Last edited by Garnoth on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrstphrong
1-Post Wiggler

Post by chrstphrong » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am

789F7CC9-9CCD-4C8D-9C26-BFB4764FC807.jpeg
Hi I’m new to modular and am feeling ready to get started. After watching dozens of Youtube video tutorials and playing around with modular sim on my Mac, I’m quite sure about going into this. It’s just that there are so many module choices out there and many have overlapping functions. So I think until I’ve put this setup together I won’t know for sure if it will work. Was wondering if you guys would care to comment on this setup. I know it’s a lot of Noise Engineering stuff in there but based on each review I’ve seen of each module they seem to fit close to what I want - an dark industrial techno setup for live performance. As far as I can tell, based on user comments and reviews, it seems to me all the modules shown here should fit into the palette, possibly even with additional ribbon cables in it. What do you think?

How I would use this setup:

Horologic Solum + Uter runs the main clock to the MD and Vox.
MD basically runs BIA, Vox and the Manis.
BIA outputs to MMF and Xerest.
Manis outputs to Kith, and then goes into FX Aid (for verb and delays), then in Xerest.
Strymon AA.1 for outboard pedal effects for anything else.

BIA duties include BD, SD, Hats.
Manic does bass mainly.

If the MD is not enough then the Steppy will take over the BIA instead and the MD will run the Manis. And if that's still not enough, I will use my Digitakt, run it into the uMIDI 1u and additional control. Of course, I still have the mults on the Palette case but I think I got sequencing pretty covered!

This is all guess work. I still feel I'm missing something like a sampler or noise generator or drone or something. If only there was a smaller MD so I can get more HPs out of the Palette. I may switch the Xerest for something else because it's out of production mostly. So I would replace it with another mute-atten module but I can't find many around this size, to be honest. (Suggestions?) Should I get rid of it and the Uter and put in a Muta Jovis and a small quad mixer instead? May not have enough HPs for that.

Oh yes, black is nice.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 am

chrstphrong wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am
789F7CC9-9CCD-4C8D-9C26-BFB4764FC807.jpeg

Hi I’m new to modular and am feeling ready to get started. After watching dozens of Youtube video tutorials and playing around with modular sim on my Mac, I’m quite sure about going into this. It’s just that there are so many module choices out there and many have overlapping functions. So I think until I’ve put this setup together I won’t know for sure if it will work. Was wondering if you guys would care to comment on this setup. I know it’s a lot of Noise Engineering stuff in there but based on each review I’ve seen of each module they seem to fit close to what I want - an dark industrial techno setup for live performance. As far as I can tell, based on user comments and reviews, it seems to me all the modules shown here should fit into the palette, possibly even with additional ribbon cables in it. What do you think?

How I would use this setup:

Horologic Solum + Uter runs the main clock to the MD and Vox.
MD basically runs BIA, Vox and the Manis.
BIA outputs to MMF and Xerest.
Manis outputs to Kith, and then goes into FX Aid (for verb and delays), then in Xerest.
Strymon AA.1 for outboard pedal effects for anything else.

BIA duties include BD, SD, Hats.
Manic does bass mainly.

If the MD is not enough then the Steppy will take over the BIA instead and the MD will run the Manis. And if that's still not enough, I will use my Digitakt, run it into the uMIDI 1u and additional control. Of course, I still have the mults on the Palette case but I think I got sequencing pretty covered!

This is all guess work. I still feel I'm missing something like a sampler or noise generator or drone or something. If only there was a smaller MD so I can get more HPs out of the Palette. I may switch the Xerest for something else because it's out of production mostly. So I would replace it with another mute-atten module but I can't find many around this size, to be honest. (Suggestions?) Should I get rid of it and the Uter and put in a Muta Jovis and a small quad mixer instead? May not have enough HPs for that.

Oh yes, black is nice.
Hmm.. interesting palette. The Noise Engineering stuff is great and you will definitely get the 'dark industrial' sound you're after! A few thoughts..
  • Does it all have to be NE? BIA and Manis together is just a bit close in approach considering the dozens of other possibilities
  • Disregarding the midi (your fallback), you're quite sequencer heavy. I can see about 16 trigger outputs and 5 pitch\cv outs (counting clock divisions). Do you have some way to combine them to make interesting rhythms?
  • Since your modules now are already quite aggressive, you might find additional distortion is not needed with Kith Ruina (although equalization could be good)
Overall just wondering if, for a small setup you might prefer more diverse voices and perhaps one gate sequencer + one pitch sequencer with two channels (or combo) rather than the menagerie of options :-)

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

chrstphrong wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:03 am
What do you think?
Thanks for sharing—looks like there is a fairly logical signal flow represented, though it looks a bit hamstrung and cramped. Perhaps consider getting a bigger case. Already seeing some concerns over HP size. The types of things mentioned above are not easily shoehorned into a Palette, at least, not in a way that looks like it'd be fun to jam on, from my POV.

Raindeer's points make sense, esp the 2nd one. More modulation needed, fewer triggers/gates.

I'll add:
* FX Aid has stereo inputs + outputs—Hyrlo or another compact mixer w/ stereo (see Happy Nerding) would take advantage of that. You could simply use FX aid as the end of chain and have it convert mono submixes to stereo.
* Consider losing MD or Vox Digitalis. I'd personally keep MD because with 4 outputs there is pitch and modulation and an additional trigger output.
* Replace the Horologics with Pamela's New Workout. more functionality for a small case. BIA and Manis beg for modulation and Pam's will serve up much wider and more diverse range of modulation.
* Swap Xerest out and replace with a VCA mixer that can deal with audio and VC and be voltage controlled like Mix 3
* Steppy has 4 channels of gates—BIA has one trigger input, right? What are the other 3 channels of Steppy going to trigger? You could definitely trigger MD interesting ways w/ Steppy.
* ^ That's a further argument for something like Pam's instead of the Horologics because you'll have LFOs, stepped random, envelopes (which I am not seeing represented currently), etc.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Little Palette Techno rig while the modular and the rest of the studio is still packed away. Gotta build everything back up real quick now that we are confined to our homes again :(

instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

hemiphase
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hemiphase » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi, this is my first post and I take the occasion to show my case on this thread.
I started collecting modules roughly two months ago and so far I managed to get to this setup:

I am still waiting for the WMD C4RBN, the DivKid Mutes and the 1U VCA module. In the meantime I had a blast learning the in and outs of the Manis and the BIA, mostly playing some heavy/industrial/grungy techno with the help with some pedals (Boss DS-1, Zoom MS-70 CDR).

I really like the combination of the 2HP clock with its "pause/play" button and the A-160-2 divisions, especially the 1-2-3-4-6-7-8 triggers to have interesting polyrhythms.

My go-to performance trick is to use the Clep Diaz to modulate the Manis' Saw-mod input, attenuated with one of the O/A/x2 attenuverters.

So far the module I use the least is the Pons Asinorum. I was thinking to use it mostly for ambient patches but I always end up driving my patches with a heavy 4-to-floor kick drum, pushing myself away from slow/changing modulations... I am already planning a 84hp drone/ambient rack dedicated to that though :D.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:20 pm

Predictably, sounds like utter garbage :guinness:
Attachments
0C35A40C-466A-4FE6-AE4F-9ECC70645129.jpeg
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator / Anti / Borg (Gargoyles),
Plan B Model 12 / 13 / 15,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:41 pm

B0bcat wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:20 pm
Predictably, sounds like utter garbage :guinness:
Looks rad! Would love to hear said garbage.

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:30 am

It's a perfect companion for my v1 MPC Live. They are exact same height and depth. I had to use a short flying bus to get my 13th module in there which was a bit of a fight in that cramped space.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1292757

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Here's mine ! Only thing not in there so far is the O+C (still on the fence about it).

Its my first every modular and been having alot of fun with it. I already got a second rack (tip top happy ending) so I've added some bigger modules and a mixer to that. In time the main change I might made is to get clouds out of there onto the tiptop rack and get another oscillator maybe.

Only complaint I have is that Pams is not left handed friendly ! need to become ambidextrous now :doh:
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 09.17.40.png
Last edited by lyesmel on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:25 pm

double post

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:54 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 pm
Here's mine ! Only thing not in there so far is the O+C (still on the fence about it).

Its my first every modular and been having alot of fun with it. I already got a second rack (tip top happy ending) so I've added some bigger modules and a mixer to that. In time the main change I might made is to get clouds out of there onto the tiptop rack and get another oscillator maybe.

Only complaint I have is that Pams is not left handed friendly ! need to become ambidextrous now :doh:
I started out w/ a similar setup, Pams/Maths/Plaits. My experience was positive, those 3 modules can do a ton + and they work well together.

If I were in your shoes now, I'd opt for the Ornament & Crime, consider swapping the Disting out and maybe replacing w/ an FX Aid for some lush reverbs and such, that'll get Plaits to shine. If you're on the fence re: uburst, you *could* replace w/ another vco, but there's already plenty of that in the case, given the size.

I am also seeing a need for a VCA. Could get a 1u VCA, or a compact VCA mixer. Have fun!

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Current setup, 3rd incarnation: complex oscillator voice groovebox, w/ a TipTop wav player for ambient/pad/field recordings. Sinc Bucina n' Pip provide plenty of envelopes. Using a Digitakt and SQ-1 for some of the sequencing + clock signals. Steppy provides drum patterns for the Disting, which is in dual sample mode when not doing other stuff.

It's about to change into something else, likely a control skiff (again!)
Attachments
atw_palette_oct2020.jpg

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:36 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:18 pm
This is pretty much a self-contained 1 or 2 voice monosynth I'm rocking for the winter:

Cool screwdriver! ;)

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:50 pm

ATW wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:54 pm
I started out w/ a similar setup, Pams/Maths/Plaits. My experience was positive, those 3 modules can do a ton + and they work well together.

If I were in your shoes now, I'd opt for the Ornament & Crime, consider swapping the Disting out and maybe replacing w/ an FX Aid for some lush reverbs and such, that'll get Plaits to shine. If you're on the fence re: uburst, you *could* replace w/ another vco, but there's already plenty of that in the case, given the size.

I am also seeing a need for a VCA. Could get a 1u VCA, or a compact VCA mixer. Have fun!
Thanks for the feedback !
I'm going to pick up the O+C and will then make a call on the disting. I'm just still a bit unclear on what the O+C really does to be honest so I think getting my hands on it will be the only way to get my head around it. For verbs in the meantime, the Oliverb mode on Cloud Parasites is serving me very nicely.

For VCA I've got a mutable veils on my supplementary rack. I would love to get everything into the 4U when possible but I'd need to lose either a headphone 1U or output 1U to fit the 1U VCA so might not happen for now.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Hemisphere Suite for O+C makes the most sense to me. I find the mini-applets really approachable, and prefer the simple sequencers, logic modes, euclidean patterns, and clock skipper to be super easy and immediately useful, among others. I have the Tall Dog 3u version, nice + compact implementation of the interface + ui, relative to others I have seen in 3u. Likely going to be moving it into my Palette control skiff.

Garnoth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Garnoth » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 am

ATW wrote:
Garnoth wrote:

I want to thank you again for the advice, really appreciated as I am quite a novice. My rack is now almost complete (I am yet to acquire the c4rbn filter) and it's working tremendously well. I use the mutant brain with the digitakt and it provides me 3-4 extremely versatile lfo's, a clock divider and transport messages. I can even program stable voltages to switch octaves on the Q-010. Super happy with this system!

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Seeing a lot of Noise Engineering stuff in these. Makes sense as they're really performance oriented and pack a lot into a small space.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:50 pm

Garnoth wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 am
ATW wrote:
Garnoth wrote:

I want to thank you again for the advice, really appreciated as I am quite a novice. My rack is now almost complete (I am yet to acquire the c4rbn filter) and it's working tremendously well. I use the mutant brain with the digitakt and it provides me 3-4 extremely versatile lfo's, a clock divider and transport messages. I can even program stable voltages to switch octaves on the Q-010. Super happy with this system!

Awesome. Glad to hear it!

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:51 am

Garnoth wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 am
My rack is now almost complete (I am yet to acquire the c4rbn filter) and it's working tremendously well.
I've been using the c4rbn in my pallet case for a couple months now and it's insane how versatile it is. The 4pole is very easy to use despite the single output. The folder are gain are a little harder to use without a supporting module to control them but it's hard to complain at 4hp. I almost wish there was a 8hp version with dedicated controls for those features. But all in all a five star module especially in a space limited rack.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:29 am

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:29 am
I'm sure the popcorn with deckard is..... a dream !

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:06 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 pm
I'm sure the popcorn with deckard is..... a dream !
It's quite fun. I often use the Clep Diaz to modulate the Popcorn, which leads to even cooler melodies. Overall it's quite a "limited" setup. I just use at home for fun, and when I have a cool thing going on, I take it with me to the studio and sync it to the rest.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:36 pm
versipellis wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:18 pm
This is pretty much a self-contained 1 or 2 voice monosynth I'm rocking for the winter:

Cool screwdriver! ;)
Ahahah, I think it's because I deleted the rack. Whoops.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Korg Prologue 16, Erica Synths Fusion Mixer v3, Frequency Central Raging Bull 3.0]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

Return to “Eurorack Modules”