MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Furthurrr vs 2x Godspeed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Furthurrr vs 2x Godspeed
Siete
OK, so what Im missing here? Sorry if this has been debated

elsewhere before, cant seem to find it.

Im no expert in endorphines modules but Im on the market for

a new OSC solution and would love some info about this.

What are the main drawbacks of using 2 of the 6hp modules instead

of the big bad boy?
deltaphoenix
The Furthrrr Generator is one of my favorite complex oscillators (and I have a decent sized Buchla modular). The sound is alive and it is based off of a Buchla 259 but this has a certain character, I would say it has something extra going on in the gain staging.

The FG has tons of modulation options, FM, AM, Ring Mod. It lets you know when it is in tune and it is just plain special.
Siete
deltaphoenix wrote:
The Furthrrr Generator is one of my favorite complex oscillators (and I have a decent sized Buchla modular). The sound is alive and it is based off of a Buchla 259 but this has a certain character, I would say it has something extra going on in the gain staging.

The FG has tons of modulation options, FM, AM, Ring Mod. It lets you know when it is in tune and it is just plain special.

Yeah but the Godspeed seems to have 'almost' (I dunno it exactly tbh and thats why I started this thread)
the same amount of modulation options and the tune function, being way smaller since 2 of em would only
need 12 hps, so here remains the question, what would be exactly missing usin two of the small oscs instead of
the FG?
yarderyyz
I don't have specific experience with the Furthrrr or Godspeed, but I've spent a lot of time with 259s, DPOs, and the wonderful Dixie + Rubicon + uFold combo. For me the magic of big beefy 259 style complex oscillators is in the normalization and UX. I've patched complex oscillators from discrete components, but in practice I almost never actually do that and end up in some totally different world of sound than 259 land. Both ways of working are the best hihi

tldr; you should probably get a Furthrrr and 2x Godspeed. applause
Siete
yarderyyz wrote:
I don't have specific experience with the Furthrrr or Godspeed, but I've spent a lot of time with 259s, DPOs, and the wonderful Dixie + Rubicon + uFold combo. For me the magic of big beefy 259 style complex oscillators is in the normalization and UX. I've patched complex oscillators from discrete components, but in practice I almost never actually do that and end up in some totally different world of sound than 259 land. Both ways of working are the best hihi

tldr; you should probably get a Furthrrr and 2x Godspeed. applause

Yeah Ive gotta DPO but Im attracted by the tuning function of the endorph OSCs, and, if the 2x godspeed
doesnt loose much functionality against the FG, thatd save a decent amount of hp
i could put to good use so thats basically why Im interested in the comparison.
Siete
Any Godspeed user can shed some light?
flashheart
Don't think it's out yet.
nios
Two godspeeds wouldn't get you the exact sonic palette that a Furthrrrr does. For starters the Godspeed being a single osc instead is hardwired to modulate itself, so the frequency of the FM will always match the tune and that's that. With two of them, you could have a quirky setup where your modulator Godspeed is FM'ing itself hard while also being used to FM the carrier like usual, but, the carrier would still be lacking the symmetry/harmonics timbre sculpting stages. Each instead has just the wavefolder, but one of those would only be heard coming in through the FM bus, of which I'm not even entirely sure what that would sound like.. It also doesn't seem to have assignable waveforms for FM and would both be stuck as sines (I think?).

So the architecture/signal path will be rather different; there'd be things neither option would be able to replicate off the other, but I'd assume the Furthrrrr would have a wider palette with it also having AM, assignable waveforms to FM and the other waveshaping options down the signal path. So while it's not the same, it's not necessarily going to be uninteresting-sounding even though I think Godspeed was not really designed to talk to each other in pairs, so much as be in the same ballpark of a complex osc (like Furthrrrr or DPO) in an ultra-tiny size.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1