MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Skiff version of the Doepfer A-149-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Skiff version of the Doepfer A-149-1
Blairio
I recently got hold of a 4MS 'POD', and I want to stick a source of uncertainty, scale quantiser, Plaits and Peaks in it. The trouble is the A-149 is a pretty deep module. Is there a skiff- friendly close equivalent to the A-149-1?

Cheers,

Blair
lohacker
Sapèl
megarat
I agree with the Sapèl, and there's also Sputnik Modular's West Coast Random Source, although it's a big one at 28hp.

If you're willing to deviate from the faithful "Source of Uncertainty" paradigm, and are willing to have a random module that was designed in the same spirit but with some changes, then you could consider Music Thing Modular's Turing Machine (with its expansions), SSF's Ultra-Random Analog, and Make Noise's Wogglebug. All of those are 38mm or shallower.
hinterlands303
Nonlinear Circuits Sauce of Unce is close but not exactly the same. Great module though.
Blairio
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that perhaps the NLC Sauce of Unce is the closest to the 149, but even that doesn't offer the form of 'constrained' random that is the 149's signature.

I have the MakeNoise Wogglebug Mk2, and while it is a great module, I cannot get it to behave like a 149. It can do far more, but not the same things.

I think I will end up selling my 4MS POD and instead picking up one of the new Doepfer A100LC1 cases - 48HP and full depth.
ryangaston
Have you looked at Verbos Random sampling? Everything in the A149 and more!
hinterlands303
Blairio wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that perhaps the NLC Sauce of Unce is the closest to the 149, but even that doesn't offer the form of 'constrained' random that is the 149's signature.

I have the MakeNoise Wogglebug Mk2, and while it is a great module, I cannot get it to behave like a 149. It can do far more, but not the same things.

I think I will end up selling my 4MS POD and instead picking up one of the new Doepfer A100LC1 cases - 48HP and full depth.

I’ve always wanted to tryout the a-149-1 for the random octaves alone. That would be super useful - I can see why you wouldn’t want to give it up.

I recently traded out my wogglebug for the Sauce of Unce and it does seem to sit somewhere in between the a-149-1 and the Woggle - the fluctuating random voltage can get very Woggle-ish but it also features the stored random voltage section. Plus the noise outputs of the Sauce are more useful to me than the vco outputs of the Woggle.
Blairio
ryangaston wrote:
Have you looked at Verbos Random sampling? Everything in the A149 and more!

The Versos Random Sampling looks great. It has the A-149's Quantised Random Voltages, plus the Shift Register is very cool. Unfortunately it is more than 4 times the UK cost of the A-149. Even so, If I was starting from scratch I think I might go for the Verbos.
Blairio
hinterlands303 wrote:
Blairio wrote:

I’ve always wanted to tryout the a-149-1 for the random octaves alone. That would be super useful - I can see why you wouldn’t want to give it up.

I recently traded out my wogglebug for the Sauce of Unce and it does seem to sit somewhere in between the a-149-1 and the Woggle - the fluctuating random voltage can get very Woggle-ish but it also features the stored random voltage section. Plus the noise outputs of the Sauce are more useful to me than the vco outputs of the Woggle.

I never really got the measure of my MN Richter Wogglebug. It is capable of so much, but like you I struggled to find a use for the VCO outputs, I think it is the control over randomisation that I find so useful about the A-149.

Anyone out there have something like the Sauce Of Unce they want to trade for my immaculate MN Richter Wogglebug? I also have a Greyscale front panel for it which i would throw in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1