MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Small powered skiff for Brains/PP?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Small powered skiff for Brains/PP?
TimeRaveler
I’ve been out of the Euro game for quite a few years, but am looking to build a small skiff of interactive modules to give my 5U system some new hands-on control. So far I’m looking at Brains + 2 Pressure Points and Planar2. I’ve heard PP doesn’t play well with some power supplies, but I’m looking at something like the 4ms Pod or Intellijel Palette. Can anyone confirm if the touch pads function well with these or any other similar cases?

Also if there are any other must-have expressive controllers/sequencers you’d recommend, let me know.

Here is my current system for reference:

Thanks!!
T. Jervell
Pressure points in 4MS pod’s work like a charm. However Brains (at least the one I’ve got) is too deep for the pod...
L.C.O.
T. Jervell wrote:
Pressure points in 4MS pod’s work like a charm. However Brains (at least the one I’ve got) is too deep for the pod...

That's a bummer!
AnalogOutput
I have a Pod 48X in route for this exact purpose as the depth will be fine on the deeper X models. Your setup looks awesome!!

Here are a few links to pieces you might also like.
https://16n-faderbank.github.io
https://www.landscape.fm/stereofield

TimeRaveler
Wow, it looks like brains is only 2mm too deep for the normal pod, I wonder if I could sand it down...

Probably better to just get the X hmmm.....
chachi
TimeRaveler wrote:
Wow, it looks like brains is only 2mm too deep for the normal pod, I wonder if I could sand it down...

Probably better to just get the X hmmm.....

i just went through this. i thought about spacing it up with washers but ultimately just sold the pod.
TimeRaveler
Damn, and they don’t make a Pod 60x. That would have been perfect.
zzelig
What about the Make Noise skiff?
TimeRaveler
zzelig wrote:
What about the Make Noise skiff?

It’s quite a bit deeper at 5”, and I was hoping for something small enough to fit on the blank area of my Nord Lead I use for a controller.
chachi
TimeRaveler wrote:
Damn, and they don’t make a Pod 60x. That would have been perfect.

exactly.
nostalghia
Regarding this part of the first post, "I’ve heard PP doesn’t play well with some power supplies", main thing to avoid is ungrounded power supplies-for example, some early Meanwell power bricks that came with HEK kits had 2-prong AC plugs and did not provide proper grounding.

Was using that combo in a second, smaller case when I first got my PP, and found that the PP didn't work if it was the only module I patched to anything in my main case. Had to patch at least one other module between the two cases (this supplied a "ground" apparently). Solved it at the time by switching to 4ms row power, which came with a grounded power brick. Have it in my Mantis case now, works fine.

Think current (ha!) TipTop power sources including the HEK that ships now have grounded AC adapter bricks and should be OK. Search Muff's for "Pressure Points ground" to read some relevant threads if you want more info. Some folks had same issue with Rene since it also needed correct grounding for the touch plates to work. The PP page on the Make Noise site has this note (not sure if it needs updating): "Requires approved power solution from Make Noise, Tip Top Audio or Doepfer".
TimeRaveler
Just learned a Pod 64x is coming soon!
T. Jervell
Hmmm..... I actually had to move my PP from my POD to my Make Noise skiff yesterday because the PP didn’t respond well in the POD. Taking into account that I used the same brick/PSU with both POD and MN skiff, I wouldn’t entirely blame the PSU. Also felt a tingeling sensation when touching the PP in the POD. Touching the POD case at the same time as I touche the PP resulted in good response.... so don’t really know what was going on, but my PP’s are back in my MN skiff, an will stay there.
TimeRaveler
T. Jervell wrote:
Hmmm..... I actually had to move my PP from my POD to my Make Noise skiff yesterday because the PP didn’t respond well in the POD. Taking into account that I used the same brick/PSU with both POD and MN skiff, I wouldn’t entirely blame the PSU. Also felt a tingeling sensation when touching the PP in the POD. Touching the POD case at the same time as I touche the PP resulted in good response.... so don’t really know what was going on, but my PP’s are back in my MN skiff, an will stay there.

Well that's unsettling...

Has anyone by chance used PP successfully in a Intellijel case?
srogers
Yep, works great in my Palette case!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1