MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Working out to create random bursts of pitch with my set up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Working out to create random bursts of pitch with my set up
PeterRabbit
Hey guys, So I am wanting to create melodic sequences but without using a sequencer. I want to use the triggers from a changing clock source to trigger a sequence of melodic notes in a scale. Using the likes of a clock source, an LFO, a quantizer, switches etc what's a good way to do this? I don't want to buy a burst generator, I am trying to work in my head how to create one. Sorry if this is a basic request, I did a search and couldn't find something that suited what I was wanting. Thank you
Taylor
You can send multiple gate streams to a mixer to create stepped voltage sequences, for example the outputs of a clock divider or a gate sequencer. A bipolar mixer (one that lets you invert inputs) works best - otherwise your sequences will only ever go up.

A gate sequencer that has some randomness/probability stuff going on will give you the randomized element.
cptnal
Sounds like what you want to try is an LFO into a sample and hold. Send that to a quantizer (via an offset/attenuator) and wiggle the frequencies of your clock and the LFO. This is fun!
MarcelP
Hi - might be good if you could give a link to your rack on Modular Grid to see what you already have available to work with.

By coincidence I set up a patch this afternoon doing a similar thing you describe (un-quantised) using an MI Stages.
Moerder
hey Peter,

any chance you could share a link to modgrid or some kind of list so we can see what you actually have at your disposal for this? depending on your lfo, I was thinking that the lfo into a quantizer would already give you melody, while the clock source could perhaps influence the lfo rate to get different shapes/times for that melody. does the quantizer have a trigger inout so it only outputs when it gets a trigger? or the triggers could flick through the switches so you get different but repeatable cv from that, into quant? what about vcas? is there something else that provides cv/gates? I'd enjoy thinking through this but you could have x amount of modules with y capabilities, but I'm talking about z, so it would help to be a bit more specific about your setup. cheers
zerodivide
any sample and hold module will do the trick. You send an LFO and then use a gate on your sample and hold which will grab the value at time of gate x, and spit out that value. If you use a quantizer it will then average out your value to the nearest note of a scale you selected. Ornament and Crime is great for this
electricanada
PeterRabbit wrote:
Hey guys, So I am wanting to create melodic sequences but without using a sequencer. I want to use the triggers from a changing clock source to trigger a sequence of melodic notes in a scale. Using the likes of a clock source, an LFO, a quantizer, switches etc what's a good way to do this? I don't want to buy a burst generator, I am trying to work in my head how to create one. Sorry if this is a basic request, I did a search and couldn't find something that suited what I was wanting. Thank you

Depends on which specific utilities you have. Give us more detail.
PeterRabbit
Thank you for the input. I will create a system on Modular Grid with the modules I have to use for this and upload it here.
electricanada
If you just want a sequence, run your lfo into your quantizer and use your clock to gate the quantizer.
Blairio
My standard solution involves all Doepfer modules, but similar modules from any brand or mix of brands will do the trick:

A-145 (LFO) clocking an A-149 ('controllable' random note generator), with voltages tidied up by an A-156 (scale quantiser).

Between the A-149 and the A-156 you can quite tightly control the range and scale of random notes generated, so much so that the output can be very melodic phrases.

If you don't have a 'source of uncertainty' to feed output into a scale quantiser, then any noise source feeding a clocked (via LFO) sample and hold module through an attenuator (to restrict the voltage, and hence the pitch) can be used instead.

For sure, there are more powerful 'sources of uncertainty' and scale quantisers out there, but I have found the Doepfer solution to be very musical.
Blairio
double post. Doh.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1