MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2164 problems, yet again
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 2164 problems, yet again
PDLDLNT
sorry to be harping on this stuff again, i seem to be hitting my head against a wall. very frustrating

i am now following the Mike Irwin circuit exactly - and still having trouble with my build.

one thing i've noticed that i haven't seen other people commenting on is that the datasheets for the SSI2164 datasheet and the Cool Audio V2164 do not have corresponding pinouts.

http://www.soundsemiconductor.com/downloads/ssi2164datasheet.pdf
http://coolaudio.com/docs/COOLAUDIO_V2164MD_DATASHEET.pdf

compared to the original:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/SS M2164.pdf

the SSI seems to be accurate.
the CoolAudio chip seems to have a mismarked block diagram.

is this possible? is it possible that i'm the only person to fuck this up?
am i hallucinating?
NV
The V2164's 2.1 block diagram erroneously swaps pins 10 and 11. The 2.2 pin descriptions however are accurate.

The SSI is an improved part in a number of ways, and the datasheet is fantastically tailored to modular/DIY use thanks to a number of very knowledgeable contributors. If all datasheets were written that way we'd be driving our modulars to work.
J3RK
Personally, I'd stick to the SSI part if at all possible. Its documentation is perfect, and it has behaved precisely as expected for everything that I've used it in so far. It also does not require the Schottky fix for the negative rail, and has other small improvements.
BugBrand
Ooh, Coolaudio have rejigged their datasheet so it looks like they've done some work - their business model, like the parent company, tends towards taking others' work and doing as little as possible to start cashing in.

SSI, on the other hand, employ great people to help ensure their datasheets are goldmines of useful info. Oh, and they have even improved the design of their 2164.

The 2164 is a great chip and I know with which company I choose to spend my money.
J3RK
BugBrand wrote:
Ooh, Coolaudio have rejigged their datasheet so it looks like they've done some work - their business model, like the parent company, tends towards taking others' work and doing as little as possible to start cashing in.

SSI, on the other hand, employ great people to help ensure their datasheets are goldmines of useful info. Oh, and they have even improved the design of their 2164.

The 2164 is a great chip and I know with which company I choose to spend my money.

Agreed. Also, it would be nice to keep sending money their way in hopes of more of their style of reissue. (Maybe an improved SSI2040 This is fun! ) Though I guess that can really be done pretty easily just using the 2164. Still, I'd love to see more improved, reissued parts from them.
BugBrand
I checked back emails & Dan @ SSI had mentioned them working on two further designs (July time) - VCO and 2040 - both with interesting inclusions!
Good company from all interactions I've had to date.
J3RK
BugBrand wrote:
I checked back emails & Dan @ SSI had mentioned them working on two further designs (July time) - VCO and 2040 - both with interesting inclusions!
Good company from all interactions I've had to date.

applause This is fun! w00t thumbs up It's peanut butter jelly time!
windspirit
Based on my own messing around with both the SSM and SSI chips the SSI chips while having better specs are also more sensitive to the presence of the bypass RC network on the inputs and outputs. On the SSM chip I could get away with omitting these networks at all, with the SSI chips I had to follow the resistor and capacitor values very closely with what is suggested in the schematic.

neil.johnson
Note that the resistor is the part that does the compensation, while the capacitor moves it out of the way of the audio band.

I would still recommend using the network with the original SSM parts - when it does oscillate it will be way above the range of hearing but will affect circuit stability.

Note also the 100pF capacitor around the linearising op-amp in the Irwin circuit is important for stability.

@PDLDLNT if you can share your schematic we may be able to help.

Neil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1