Erica Synths VCF1 Pico versus Polivoks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Erica Synths VCF1 Pico versus Polivoks

Post by Synthient Sound » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Obviously the size and features are different between the Pico VCF1 Polivoks and the regular Polivoks, but is there any difference in the sound when used the same?

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 pm

I had the Pico and Erica’s Acidbox - the stand-alone version of their Polivoks filter. With the Pico you really need to pair it with an input attenuator - I found that without attenuation it was hard to get the range of resonance behaviors that I could get with the Acidbox (which has an input attenuator). I think most of their Polivoks filters have attenuation other than the Pico.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 am

The vcf1 is an excellent polivoks filter in my opinion, and I've owned quite a few from various different companies.

I didn't personally find that the lack of input attenuation was a big deal. You often find this absent on filters, and I usually mix a few different waveforms out of an oscillator in a little mixer before hitting a filter anyway so you can just control the levels on there.

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks for the help and responses!

Has anyone played them side by side? Any difference in tone?

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 am

matttech wrote:The vcf1 is an excellent polivoks filter in my opinion, and I've owned quite a few from various different companies.

I didn't personally find that the lack of input attenuation was a big deal. You often find this absent on filters, and I usually mix a few different waveforms out of an oscillator in a little mixer before hitting a filter anyway so you can just control the levels on there.
For most filters I agree it's not a big deal but with the Polivoks I found that the input level really makes a huge difference. It wasn't an issue for me because I have plenty of attenuators/mixers etc. but it's still worth noting.

But, yeah the vcf1 is pretty amazing sounding especially considering the size.

akrenaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akrenaut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:50 am

I have the pico VCF1. For the smaller hp, I think it works quite well.

Diabolik!
Common Wiggler

Post by Diabolik! » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am

i'm selling one in the marketplace if you're looking for one

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
matttech wrote:The vcf1 is an excellent polivoks filter in my opinion, and I've owned quite a few from various different companies.

For most filters I agree it's not a big deal but with the Polivoks I found that the input level really makes a huge difference. It wasn't an issue for me because I have plenty of attenuators/mixers etc. but it's still worth noting.

But, yeah the vcf1 is pretty amazing sounding especially considering the size.
Oh no, you misunderstood me.....it’s very often Important to have the option to attenuate before filters, and the vcf1 is no exception - I just do this so much that it wasn’t an issue (it’s kind of my standard patching I guess)

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 pm

In fact I actually did some vcf1 demos a while back:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/2019/01/0 ... -matttech/

Nothing fancy, but you’ll get the idea :tu:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 pm

...and wouldn’t you know it, I even wrote the following in my intro notes:

“Particular attention is paid on all demos to the level feeding the filter, through tweaking of the waveform mixer’s channel levels. This allows for control over the growliness/ drive of the filter”

8-)

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:49 pm

matttech wrote:In fact I actually did some vcf1 demos a while back:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/2019/01/0 ... -matttech/

Nothing fancy, but you’ll get the idea :tu:
Thanks for sharing those. I wasn't able to find much in the way of sound clips, so it is helpful.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

No problem! :tu:

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 pm

If you can swing it I would go for the Larger Polivoks. Ive had the pico and the black version at the same time and found that it was so much easier to dial in sweet spots on the larger one. As others have said, input attenuation is key and having that plus two cv controls with large attenuators really convinced me to sell the pico one on. If you enjoy doing sweeps by hand, I doubt you would regret getting the larger one. Either way though- awesome filters from Erica, loved every one Ive got and only sold that pico so far.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”