MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PLL does call to prayer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author PLL does call to prayer
dougcl
More fun with the PLL. This is an attempt to create a Moroccan call to prayer. PLL is tracking an A-111. Result is going through VCEQ-3.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
man, is it the PLL or the VCEQ that makes it sound like a horn?

very cool.
dougcl
Thanks. That VCEQ is certainly a big part of it. But you can hear as well each cycle sounds a little different, and that's all the PLL (no manual adjustments).
dkcg
I assume that's your Arabesque on youtube? Darn you! that patch made me buy a PLL today.... lol
dougcl
Yeah, I didn't come up with the best youtube handle, but that was me. smile

You can play that and the call to prayer at the same time and all you need is a hukkah...
doctorvague
That is one vibey-cool clip.
I was going to sell my PLL soon but was reluctant...
it's so loose - how can you describe it?
It has a mind of its own, that's for sure.
It wants to wander...
Oh, look! A squirrel...
dkcg
doctorvague wrote:
It wants to wander...
Oh, look! A squirrel...

I think I like that about it. It's no replacement for accurate frequency tracking, but is still good enough to have a little fun. Keep it...it's small and not very expensive in comparison to what else is out there. You know you want to... lol
doctorvague
dkcg wrote:
doctorvague wrote:
It wants to wander...
Oh, look! A squirrel...

I think I like that about it. It's no replacement for accurate frequency tracking, but is still good enough to have a little fun. Keep it...it's small and not very expensive in comparison to what else is out there. You know you want to... lol

I like the wandering quality too - I didn't mean that as a drawback. It rides an interesting line between random and sync'ing. As with some other modules it just takes some extra experimentation and learning about it -more than most.

It can also be used as a frequency multiplier in conjunction with other modules, too - but I have to look up the patch to do it. It does work and is pretty interesting. Can't say I completely understand how it's doing it, though!

You're right - Who could kick out such a nice little module? Especially during the holidays... Chugging Beers
wetterberg
so what you should do is feed it squares, but then attenuate the signal to the point where it starts to lose the tracking. Or even mix it with some noise! smile

Or feed it a polyphonic signal and watch it jump between harmonics Guinness ftw!
D/A A/D
I have been interested in this mod since I started building my euro rig... I realy do not want to start another euro setup, at least not yet. But damn...
dkcg
wetterberg wrote:
so what you should do is feed it squares, but then attenuate the signal to the point where it starts to lose the tracking. Or even mix it with some noise! smile

Or feed it a polyphonic signal and watch it jump between harmonics Guinness ftw!

I didn't know it did that with polyphonic signals. hyper
So it's probably jumping between harmonics and not octaves, even better!

I'm not quite sure what the comparator out or the lowpass out does tho. any chance you could explain those two outs? is the comparator on or off according to if the track is in phase or not?
Is the lowpass the actual CV that the oscillator section is using to make the signal?
dougcl
My understanding is that the comparator out is an on/off signal. The comparator out is therefore typically unsuited for VCO input, so the LPF is there to smooth it out. The output of the LPF is then in theory suitable for the VCO input. Dieter in his infinite wisdom made all of these signals available to the user. The one thing I don't understand (or better, haven't investigated) is that if I take the LPF out and send it to an external VCO, why the result is different than if I take the PLL VCO output.
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
The one thing I don't understand (or better, haven't investigated) is that if I take the LPF out and send it to an external VCO, why the result is different than if I take the PLL VCO output.

That's what's throwing me off and making it unclear what's going on for me. I haven't looked on the scope yet, maybe i'll make that part of a video if I figure it out.
dougcl
Perhaps the PLL VCO slews the CV input slightly. I've found that running the comparator out through a slew then to an external VCO (or taking the LPF out to an external slew) "helps."

The other thing to consider (I may have mentioned this before) is taking a S&H signal to an external VCO, have the PLL track the external VCO, then use a mixer to combine the S&H with the PLL LPF out, and use that for the PLL VCO input. This is how you can fine tune the amount of LPF craziness in the PLL VCO output. I had this in place on that arabesque patch.
Chuck E. Jesus
i had this bit from awhile back...it's an example of the PLL trying to lock on to the osc but jumping around...i had it "tuned" to feature this, the osc is being driven from the Doepfer A-155 sequencer...

i had good results using the Plan B Wavesplicer between an osc and the PLL'd version, also the PLL and the frequency multiplied version (as described in the manual) version of itself...i didn't record any of it, but i'll put something up soonish...
dougcl
Great demo of the PLL. This is pretty much what you get with a simple PLL patch.
dkcg
Who would have known 8hp could be so weid and cool!
Chuck E. Jesus
i'm really looking forward to trying the pitch >cv trick, i never would've thought of it...have to try some of that other stuff you describe...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1