Ridiculous EMS Synthi Prestopatch prices.

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ridiculous EMS Synthi Prestopatch prices.

Post by papz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:03 pm

The prices at the VEMIA are often far above any reason but I think this is a record.

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21163
http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21162
http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21161

Come on guys ! Who's willing to pay over €700 + 10% premium for that ? :party:

Thanks to JonDent for the pics ! :chug:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:11 pm

Back in the day when I owned a couple of Synthi's, I looked for protoboard PCBs that had card edges with the same spacing as the fingers on them. It was not hard to find back then. I imagine nothing has changed over the years. Make your own for a lot cheaper than that. Hell, I may have a "battle" and "Keyboard" presto-patch cards in the basement somewhere. If they are worth a 10th of that price, they are worth looking for.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:Back in the day when I owned a couple of Synthi's, I looked for protoboard PCBs that had card edges with the same spacing as the fingers on them. It was not hard to find back then. I imagine nothing has changed over the years. Make your own for a lot cheaper than that. Hell, I may have a "battle" and "Keyboard" presto-patch cards in the basement somewhere. If they are worth a 10th of that price, they are worth looking for.
Time to create some ersatz? :hihi:
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

I’m old enough to remember when vemia was actually the place to go for cheaper prices than anywhere else
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ridiculous EMS Synthi Prestopatch prices.

Post by tobb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:01 pm

papz wrote:The prices at the VEMIA are often far above any reason but I think this is a record.

Does it matters?

The only difference is; the guy that have them for sale owns them and those that would like them don't.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 am

People pay 2.000$ for a bottle of wine...and drink it.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:02 am

papz wrote:Who's willing to pay over €700 + 10% premium for that ?
Prestopatches were a complete flop. EMS could not sell them or even give them away and in the end they packed three in with Synthis to get rid of them.

5% resistors and you still have to set the knobs and no two Synthis are exactly the same... Too easy to break the socket they go in. Sort of missed the point of a preset.

Do the collectors even have a Synthi? It's like collecting vinyl and not having a record player.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am

This seems like something that can very easily be copied through OSHPark or whatever. 3d printed housing and Bob's your uncle.

Although 700 bucks is a bargain for 13 resistors.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:58 am

ersatzplanet wrote:Back in the day when I owned a couple of Synthi's, I looked for protoboard PCBs that had card edges with the same spacing as the fingers on them. It was not hard to find back then. I imagine nothing has changed over the years.
Yes and no. Vero Technologies (the company that Vero morphed into) still make a Protototype stripboard with a 32 way edge connector for £15. I bet they don't sell many though, the format was eclipsed by Eurocard decades ago.

The main problem with Veroboard is that it was SRBP which cracks easily and it has bare copper tracks pre-coated with an aggressive acid flux and all the solder joints start rotting after about 3 years. The EMS Digital Oscillator Bank was built on a frame of those boards and every time it was switched on it would make a sound like a Hercules transport plane dropping a load of bull elephants on the Steinway factory and the latest batch of bad joints had to be found. Visitors were impressed though, as they didn't realise that it wasn't supposed to do that. So never mind the claim of it being destroyed in a flood, it hadn't worked reliably for years before that.

elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:48 pm

OK,
Now I really want this module.
"Hercules transport plane dropping a load of bull elephants on the Steinway factory"
Perfect for 'now in this part of the film we want to build tension, than BAM'.

jondent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jondent » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 am

Hi Papz,
They are not very different from the Buchla easel cards.
Maybe EMS (or someone with Robin's blessing) could re-issue these under license at sensible prices.
papz wrote:The prices at the VEMIA are often far above any reason but I think this is a record.

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21163
http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21162
http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=21161

Thanks to JonDent for the pics ! :chug:

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 am

Almost makes me want to build an EMS OC ;)

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 am

elmerfudd wrote: Now I really want this module.
All you need is 128 oscillators and a bucket of hydrochloric acid.

segerfalk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by segerfalk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 am

One person thought it was worth it, so yeah... even for the collectability I thought it was steep, but hey, market demands!

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:55 am

segerfalk wrote:One person thought it was worth it, so yeah... even for the collectability I thought it was steep, but hey, market demands!
It's not really much of a collection unless you have the ultra ultra rare "Birdsong" Prestopatch, estimated to exchange hands for £2k+ on the Dark Net.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 am

The keyboard one sold because it's an essential accessory to play "On the run" and a bargain compared to the price of the others. :roll:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”