Clouds Alternative

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

BenjaminC
Learning to Wiggle

Clouds Alternative

Post by BenjaminC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 am

Hi , i've sold the clouds to have more Hp to ad another filter .
wich alternative can you recommend ?
ThksImage

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:21 am

Michigan Synth Works µBurst is a tiny version of Clouds, if you want exactly the same function. If you want to go super small you could try out 2hp Grain.
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Qu-Bit Nebulae is a granular module that piqued my interest a little while ago. It's about the same size as Clouds though, if that's something you're looking to avoid.

Also, the Monsoon is another Clouds clone in fewer hp that people seem to like a lot. I forget the manufacturer's name...

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm

There is also Antumbra Smog, 8HP version of MI Clouds.

http://www.antumbra.eu/redesign/smog

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 pm

The Calsynth Monsoon is pretty awesome. It is an expanded clouds and its smaller too.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 am

I have a Monsoon as well as Clouds, Monsoon is smaller, has more controls and a very good user interface.
here hare here!

BAD f r u i t
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BAD f r u i t » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:41 pm

There's the Load Runner by Pulse Synthesizers which doesn't seem to have the same effects as Clouds but does have a big LCD screen which allows your to see the waveform and gives you numerical values for all your adjustments which, I imagine, would enable you to replicate things easily. It also has an SD slot like the Morphagene. It's a pretty wide module, don't know if you have the space for it.

There's also the Instruo Arbhar which I've seen people talk about as a Morphagene killer but I also see potential overlap with Clouds.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 pm

spilthyfred wrote:The Calsynth Monsoon is pretty awesome. It is an expanded clouds and its smaller too.
iiiiii had tried to enjoy Clouds like 19 times, never couldn't. and the Monsoon was a blast to use from jump.

CalSynth is a MONSTER builder too.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 am

I personally found Monsoon to be much more useful than uClouds (and presumably the original, which I never had), because Monsoon gives the "buried" controls their own knobs.

Also, I like the four sliders instead of knobs for very quick and easy tweaking while performing. Monsoon's four sliders also have bicolor LED's that show you the incoming CV levels (not the slider's value). It's an awful lot of power in 10HP.

ozmoziz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ozmoziz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 am

Joe_D wrote:I personally found Monsoon to be much more useful than uClouds (and presumably the original, which I never had), because Monsoon gives the "buried" controls their own knobs.

Also, I like the four sliders instead of knobs for very quick and easy tweaking while performing. Monsoon's four sliders also have bicolor LED's that show you the incoming CV levels (not the slider's value). It's an awful lot of power in 10HP.
+1 for Monsoon. The simultaneous available functions (Mix, Stereo, Feedback, Reverb) where the main reason to get one. Still happy with it.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:45 am

I love my Monsoon, I use it in every patch (even if it's just doing reverb).

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 am

People often mention the Qu-Bit Nebulae, but isn't the Prism even closer?

(By the way, I feel like this Prism is a beast on paper but found all the online demos a bit disappointing thus far...)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 am

paranormind wrote:People often mention the Qu-Bit Nebulae, but isn't the Prism even closer?

(By the way, I feel like this Prism is a beast on paper but found all the online demos a bit disappointing thus far...)
Prism is just a delay, filter and bitcrusher, it's nothing at all like Clouds.

Prism sounds okay, especially the filter, but is kind of disappointing overall IMHO. The delay lacks separate control over feedback and mix, doesn't modulate at high rates and slews badly when using stepped modulation/sequences. The bitcrusher doesn't sound as good as 2hp Freez or other alternatives.

Honestly I think the Clouds Parasite delay is a better delay/filter combo than Prism, and that's just one available mode :)
"The faint whisper of rain and running water was still there and it had the same tender note of solitude and perfection. But what did the rain mean to him as long as he couldn’t write a song about it?"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Return to “Eurorack Modules”