MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

frequency to voltage devices!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author frequency to voltage devices!
wetterberg
I must say I love those kinds of things, ever since I tried a synth bass jobbie it's been a bit of a dream of mine.

and then I see the Analogue Systems rs35 demoed by BCM!!! WOW! How come AS are flying under the radar like that?

/goes off to find that youtube vid.
wetterberg

Quote:
External Source Processor accepts mic and line level inputs. Exceptionally accurate pitch to voltage converter with two different types of output with additional slew circuit. Output 1 is normal and output 2 is track and held. Envelope Follower section has additional slew limiter. Trigger output section provides means of firing envelope generators, clocking sequencers and a myriad other applications. No need for preamp this is a one stop solution for controlling an analogue synthesiser or modular with vocals, flutes, bass, electric guitar and violin etc played monophonically with precision.

12 HP, £125

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/pdf/RS35Manual.pdf
Kent
You could always buy my Korg X-911!
wetterberg
hehe, I have NO intention of doing guitar synth stuff wink

I am a fan of doing feedback loops, and being able to extract (partial) pitch from that loop and using cv from that to process the original sound is ill.

IIRC others on this forum have asked about pitch-to-voltage before?
Kent
Come on, my main Danish Homie... Don't you want to get your noodly-noodly-noodle on?

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html
thermionicjunky
I think that a lot of people have tried to use the AS module for guitar , but haven't thought to use compression and filtering to improve tracking, leading them to dismiss it is ineffective. I've kept my Korg MS-03 around primarily to make my V/oct sound sources track with my thyratron oscillators. Another favorite trick is patching in my Rhodes and playing chords. Instant chaotic arpeggio generator. It's also great for controlling oscillators with a non-cv theremin.
dougcl
The PLL is a crude pitch to CV module.
wetterberg
thermionicjunky wrote:
I think that a lot of people have tried to use the AS module for guitar
wouldn't that be the RS-30?
does anyone know when the RS35 came out?
Quote:
The RS35 is a further development of the RS30, with greater
flexibility and accuracy in the frequency-to-voltage converter
and envelope follower (level-to-voltage) sections, and an
additional frequency (trigger) extractor
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I love my AS freq to voltage module, I will never ever sell it.

Instant simple fatness, feed one osc to it (sine works best of course) and take the resulting cv and patch it to another osc cv in. Very VERY fat indeed!
Chuck E. Jesus
dougcl wrote:
The PLL is a crude pitch to CV module.

i have to try that...i was just looking over than manual about that...

soon we will have our synth up again, very soon hyper
REwire
I had the RS-35 when it first came out and couldn't get that good a result with my guitar. Roger sent me the pointers about filtering and such too late after I sold it and picked up a Korg MS-03 and that needed no help to track nicely. Eh.... played my modular with guitar a few times and got sick of imitating Pat Metheny. More fun using voice to pitch.
thermionicjunky
REwire wrote:
I had the RS-35 when it first came out and couldn't get that good a result with my guitar. Roger sent me the pointers about filtering and such too late after I sold it and picked up a Korg MS-03 and that needed no help to track nicely. Eh.... played my modular with guitar a few times and got sick of imitating Pat Metheny. More fun using voice to pitch.

Yes, I was having fun recently controlling a CV Recorder vocal sample with my voice. Guitar never even crosses my mind. I've come close to selling my MS-03 but I just can't do it. It's such a generally useful module.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
I've kept my Korg MS-03 around primarily to make my V/oct sound sources track with my thyratron oscillators.

I use the independent (4th) channel of the Blacet Mixer Processor almost exclusively for sending CVs to the thyratrons to get them to track at their greatest range.
It is pretty awesome to be able to wiggle in and out of this nice tracking range.
I think a ciruit like this with gain, attenuation, and bias really unlocks the thyratron magic.

I find the Blacet I/O to be quite useful for using other instruments to control the modular.
I've had good results using an Alesis AirSynth as a theremin-like controller.
felix
The AS-R35 has been more or less awful for me as well with guitar. I've tried aggressively filtering and compressing, but the response starts to get weird up and down the neck; high notes are barely tracked...and I can't exactly have the filter track the pitch if the filter is needed to actually get the pitch to be tracked.

It has worked very well with my Theremin, although that really shouldn't be a surprise; it's practically a sine wave, what comes out.

This video made me want to give the RS-35 another shot...maybe dig out some fuzz pedal that just completely squares off the waveform.
brandon daniel
felix wrote:

This video made me want to give the RS-35 another shot...maybe dig out some fuzz pedal that just completely squares off the waveform.

The first thing that struck me on the video was that the guitar player was keeping to a fairly small range of pitches while playing. I don't think that's an accident.
dougcl
felix wrote:
the response starts to get weird up and down the neck; high notes are barely tracked...

Pretty much my experience with the PLL. While I was able to get it to pretty much work within a single octave, I had the most fun creating bell or percussive sounds where pitch is less important.
dkcg
So the RS-35 works best with sine waves? I've been thinking about this module for a couple months now. I thought maybe this is a way to get Max to send an audio rate signal, a pure sine out the audio interface into the RS-35. If that would work well, maybe this could be a way to get MaxMSP to control the modular through audio instead of midi or even the LF Motu "hack".

Anyone try sending a computer generated sine to see how well it will track that?
wetterberg
I think it should track best with a 100% square wave, actually.
Chuck E. Jesus
wetterberg wrote:

interesting...i recall somewhere the Doepfer PLL works best with 50% square wave (is that what you meant? a square wave is 50% duty cycle), and when running my guit thru it i got best results by cranking the gain on the A-119 (attempting to square out the wave)...when using a pulse wave thru the A-196 PLL, you can get different results by adjusting the duty cycle...

(going to have to start a PLL love thread soon w00t )
dkcg
Don't make me buy a PLL module. angry hihi
brandon daniel
wetterberg wrote:

Uh, I don't think it would track DC well at all, actually ;0)
neandrewthal
thermionicjunky wrote:

Yes, I was having fun recently controlling a CV Recorder vocal sample with my voice. Guitar never even crosses my mind. I've come close to selling my MS-03 but I just can't do it. It's such a generally useful module.

Word. I`ve had fun making the MS-20 sing(completely unintelligibly mind you) by controlling the pitch with a mic, and modulating the filter with the audio.
dougcl
PLL tracking demo. First on the left is the master VCO. Then on the right is a second VCO taking its pitch CV entirely from the PLL CV. Finally, the PLL alone in the center.
dkcg
You jerks! Twising my arm into buying a PLL... lol
picking it up after work...
And that Arabeque patch that I think DougCL made...grrr...too cool. should go well with the M13 skin drum sound
dougcl
Ha ha, I owed you one for the miniwave you forced me to order a couple of days ago.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2