RME Fireface UFX+ or UAD Apollo x8 or ???

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

RME Fireface UFX+ or UAD Apollo x8 or ???

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:19 am

Hi,

I'm making an upgrade from a Babyface Pro to a bigger interface and I think I narrowed down the list to these two: RME Fireface UFX+ and UAD Apollo x8

From personal experience, I know how it feels like to have a RME interface.

My question is: at the end, is the difference just the UAD plugins?

Or should I consider something different, like Antelope?

Cheers!

User avatar
rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm

I have an RME UFX and an RME Fireface 802 connected to it on the other side of the desk via ADAT. It's a great setup, and as you probably know from working with the Babyface that the TotalMix software RME provides really makes routing and working with the interface pretty effortless.

The UAD stuff is compelling to me, since, I do know their plugins are pretty great, but it's also a big investment into a closed ecosystem and for me I have my mix of hardware and software sorted right now and I don't need to sink money into more plugins.

I think that's the main decider for going UAD vs not. If you think you'll benefit from the UAD plugins, and want to offload some of your CPU cycles to the interface, UAD is a great option. Then again, if you're happy with your current setup, and just want more, the UFX+ is likely going to be a better overall value to you.

I'm very happy with RME. Completely streamlined my process, and now using external instruments and effects are a breeze. I think if I had gone UAD, and invested into their infrastructure, I'd have been equally happy and probably very pro the Apollo, but... different timeline, for sure.

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:42 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:I have an RME UFX and an RME Fireface 802 connected to it on the other side of the desk via ADAT. It's a great setup, and as you probably know from working with the Babyface that the TotalMix software RME provides really makes routing and working with the interface pretty effortless.

The UAD stuff is compelling to me, since, I do know their plugins are pretty great, but it's also a big investment into a closed ecosystem and for me I have my mix of hardware and software sorted right now and I don't need to sink money into more plugins.

I think that's the main decider for going UAD vs not. If you think you'll benefit from the UAD plugins, and want to offload some of your CPU cycles to the interface, UAD is a great option. Then again, if you're happy with your current setup, and just want more, the UFX+ is likely going to be a better overall value to you.

I'm very happy with RME. Completely streamlined my process, and now using external instruments and effects are a breeze. I think if I had gone UAD, and invested into their infrastructure, I'd have been equally happy and probably very pro the Apollo, but... different timeline, for sure.
Man, your explanation made everything much clearer. Thanks a lot!

Have you ever tested Apogee interfaces?

bambrose
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:29 pm
Location: London

Post by bambrose » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Look at Metric Halo too. Allows for a lot of future expandibility and they backwards support all their hardware..

User avatar
jessem
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 9:12 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by jessem » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that UAD interfaces have DC coupled outputs so you can use Ableton CV Tools or Expert Sleepers plugins with them if have some CV stuff.

I have an RME UCX, which is a great interface, but it'd be nice to have that feature.

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:50 pm

jessem wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that UAD interfaces have DC coupled outputs so you can use Ableton CV Tools or Expert Sleepers plugins with them if have some CV stuff.

I have an RME UCX, which is a great interface, but it'd be nice to have that feature.
Ooooh, that's really cool!

User avatar
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2780
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Denmark

Post by acidbob » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 am

UFX and 2 x Octamic user here.
Dont have much to add, other than crisp sound, no issues, and totalmix is great.

Watch out with what kind of ADDAT cable you buy, some plugs can mess up the ports. But the thin ones from for example Thomann.
These ones are good:
http://www.thomann.de/dk/mutec_optisches_kabel_3m.htm

RedLab
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Post by RedLab » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 am

bambrose wrote:Look at Metric Halo too. Allows for a lot of future expandibility and they backwards support all their hardware..
+1
Also the converters and preamps are a considerable step up from RME

User avatar
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2780
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Denmark

Post by acidbob » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 pm

On paper they are a step up I am sure, I am just wondering, can you actually hear it? When going from motu 896HD to my UFX the difference in my recordings were huuuuge, but I am just thinking, how much is the difference between the halo and the UFX?

Not trying to argue, but just out of interest :love:

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm

bambrose wrote:Look at Metric Halo too. Allows for a lot of future expandibility and they backwards support all their hardware..
I didn't know that company. Tell me more about them. Are they new?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”