MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cloney VCS3 Clone Builders?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cloney VCS3 Clone Builders?
j450nn014n
Hi. I'm wondering if there are any Cloney VCS3 Clone builders out here. I'm just waiting for my final parts to arrive, and am curious to know if anyone's hanging out around here. Might be able to help each other or something.
Portabella
Yes, I am buildidng one too. Got all parts now besides the matrix.
There seem to be not too many people around here doing it
alka
I've built one. Will chime in with any tips if I can!
Robinshood
j450nn014n wrote:
Hi. I'm wondering if there are any Cloney VCS3 Clone builders out here. I'm just waiting for my final parts to arrive, and am curious to know if anyone's hanging out around here. Might be able to help each other or something.

I know there are some VCS-3 - builders around, one of them is selling them in northern Germany. And there are a lot of DIY groups helping to build up a VCS-3 (Cloney) or the smaller AKS - (Portabella) for example.
But the one in Germany is selling it for a high price and I think it is a lot of work to produce a good copy!

I have a kind of VCS-6 from the 70th, build technically very accurately by a professionel music student (with technical experience) and he didn't wanted to just copy this synth, he wanted to build up a better VCS-3 in similar wooden case, so he build it up with nearly everything twice, even the spring reverb and a much bigger matrix. I think one of the most interesting still smaller synthesizers ever build, I'm sure J.M. Jarre wish to have it immediately :-)

I tried to add a jpg, but I failed ???
Portabella
Robinshood wrote:

I know there are some VCS-3 - builders around, one of them is selling them in northern Germany.

Can you point out who you are referring to?

Robinshood wrote:

And there are a lot of DIY groups helping to build up a VCS-3 (Cloney) or the smaller AKS - (Portabella) for example.

A lot? Well, there is this one Facebook group.
What else?
bsilverberg
I've built a few VCS3 clones and a Synthi clone. They're easy to build, but they're a pain in the ass to get working and sounding properly. Component selection and value matching are key in select places. Even then, expect tweaks to values in several areas. Start by learning the schematics, even though they have errors, it will familiarize yourself with the topology and architecture.
sanders
I'll be building a Cloney; probably won't start till I receive the Matrix.

I finished a Synthi a few years ago using Derek Revell's original boards(which took me almost a decade all told). It was a bear to finally get working properly, and I have issues with it to this day due to some inferior parts I elected to use (mainly the card connectors, but also the vernier dials and joystick).

If I could give myself some advice beyond that, I'd say spend as much time as needed to plan out the wiring paths so that they reproduce the neat tidy paths employed by EMS, use multicolored wires so it's easy to tell what's what (when you have a million wires all meeting up in one place.

I've been wondering myself why there isn't a Cloney topic here on Muffs yet. It should probably be started in the DIY section. There is a Derek Revell/Synthi topic there already, but I think a separate VCS3-type build topic is warranted.
Portabella
So started building the Cloney today.. first steps.
It's a massive project, populating the PCBs and all the mechanic work is one thing but the wiring is extraordinary! Honestly, I underestimated all the work.
But the quality of parts, panels and the case is phenomenal.
LED-man
I built 2 and have to build 2 in coming months.
For my own i ordered a ghiellmetti Matrix which costs around 730€ with VAT.
Portabella
a mod should move this thread to the Music Tech DIY section
shoegazer86
I'm working on my own PCBs, which are period accurate copies of the originals. I grabbed a matrix from ebay a while back which got me into this mess to begin with...

jimfowler
Looks great! I’ve still got my pcbs from Derek that need to be finished...
Portabella
shoegazer86 wrote:
I'm working on my own PCBs, which are period accurate copies of the originals.

Nice work! But I have to tell you, Dereks PCBs are 1:1 on par with original as well
bishopmagicdonjuan
if anyone is getting rid of a cloney or knows someone trying to sell one at the moment- let me know please!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1