Hinton Instrument SequenceMix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Hinton Instrument SequenceMix

Post by Llouwelyn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi guys,

just thought some of you might be interested on the module SequenceMix, I makade an improvisation in my studio a few days ago.
Here's pt 2 of my recording performance with SequenceMix and Wiard 300. I'm also to learn the module.
The Module is designed for flexibility and easy improvising.
With that amount of sequencing complexity you never run out of ideas.Direct analogue modular sequencing in real time.
you can get the most crazy complexity out of it modulating the shift inputs.

Application audio use in the patch:

-Crossfading Waveform.
-Gate delay.
-Multiple switches on, like Klee Sequencer.
-Shot arpeggios

For ease of use in a live situation, the MatrixMix and Modmix is perfect companion.

Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/iaculat/sq-1Image

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Fantastic jam Llouwelyn, lots of variation in there! I also received some Hinton lusciousness this week. Cannot wait to try it!

Ah, and also a SequenceMix! :hail: :hihi: Excellent piece of gear, as always with Hinton Instruments! I finally managed to rack it today.

I had a lot of fun with the first few patches already, it is a very versatile module. Two or three would be even more amazing! Think of the possibilities! :love:

The external Reference Input via the expander is essential, IMO. Here's the link to the module's webpage, make sure to check out the background and demo pages and the cheat sheet in the download section: http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/ ... /index.htm.

Cheers :guinness:
Attachments
IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 874 times
IMG_2813.JPG
IMG_2813.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 876 times

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks FLO, nice picture. :guinness:
SequenceMix in action. :tu:

[video][/video]

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am

Nice demos guys! The Sequence Mix is still something I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Hello Monads, Thanks, you can use SequenceMix like Mixer CV / Audio and at any time add the movement. Manual or Clocked.
SequenceMix is a hidden gem with lots of interesting capabilities

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks Llouwelyn! I'm starting to get it! I was reviewing my setup and have something on a smaller scale with modules like the ADDAC214 Rotator, ADDAC206 Switching Sequencer and maybe ADDAC305 Latches. It's not the same as SequenceMix but helps me understand better!!

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:43 am

Basic patch on the SequenceMix, CV Modes. :party:

[video][/video]

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Wiard, SequenceMix and Tape.
https://soundcloud.com/iaculat/owt2147

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:06 am

Llouwelyn wrote:Wiard, SequenceMix and Tape.
https://soundcloud.com/iaculat/owt2147
That Wiard system sounds gorgeous! :eek:
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:48 am

Cool demos, Llouwelyn! I enjoy that quarter hour jam, nice to play in the background while doing boring work :hihi:

I'm having a lot of fun with the SequenceMix, it's really versatile. I particularly enjoy patching it in combination with my SwitchMix lately, it can feel similar to "automating" one row or column of the Switchmix (depending on how it's patched). Hopefully, I'll soon be able to make a few demos as well.

I wonder why the thread got moved to the Eurorack subforum. It feels wrong, this module is 3U, but it is not Eurorack... It made more sense in the General Modular sub.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by beepnsleep » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm

flo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:46 pm
Fantastic jam Llouwelyn, lots of variation in there! I also received some Hinton lusciousness this week. Cannot wait to try it!

Ah, and also a SequenceMix! :hail: :hihi: Excellent piece of gear, as always with Hinton Instruments! I finally managed to rack it today.

I had a lot of fun with the first few patches already, it is a very versatile module. Two or three would be even more amazing! Think of the possibilities! :love:

The external Reference Input via the expander is essential, IMO. Here's the link to the module's webpage, make sure to check out the background and demo pages and the cheat sheet in the download section: http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/ ... /index.htm.

Flo, loving the setup! Can you briefly explain how your SequenceMix expander functions? The Hinton site is unclear to me. TIA!

flo
Space Jack

Re: Re:

Post by flo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 pm

beepnsleep wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm
Flo, loving the setup!
Thanks, I enjoy it a lot :tu:
beepnsleep wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm
Can you briefly explain how your SequenceMix expander functions? The Hinton site is unclear to me. TIA!
There's a pic of two variations on the Hinton page:

The DC Reference switch determines the offset that is sent to all SequenceMix inputs (0V-5V). That offset is brought out on the 1V/Oct output and normalised to the Reference Input so you can break it there, like an inline mixer or patchbay channel. In essence, you get the DC offset selected with the switch on the output, and you can break the Reference sent to the SequenceMix on the input. To do the latter without the expander, you'd have to mult your "reference" source to all SequenceMix inputs...

The lower half of the expander module can be whatever you want, I opted for a mult. The hollow triangles in the panel graphics of Hinton modules represent half-normalised connections, so the Reference is normalised to the left mult and the left mult is normalised to the right mult :oops:

Hope that makes sense and all the best

Flo :guinness:

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:53 pm

flo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 pm
[qu
There's a pic of two variations on the Hinton page:

The DC Reference switch determines the offset that is sent to all SequenceMix inputs (0V-5V). That offset is brought out on the 1V/Oct output and normalised to the Reference Input so you can break it there, like an inline mixer or patchbay channel. In essence, you get the DC offset selected with the switch on the output, and you can break the Reference sent to the SequenceMix on the input. To do the latter without the expander, you'd have to mult your "reference" source to all SequenceMix inputs...

The lower half of the expander module can be whatever you want, I opted for a mult. The hollow triangles in the panel graphics of Hinton modules represent half-normalised connections, so the Reference is normalised to the left mult and the left mult is normalised to the right mult :oops:

Hope that makes sense and all the best

Flo :guinness:
yes, thank you! multiple sounds like a useful option for the bottom. so whatever you feed in the reference input is half normalled to all the channels? e.g. you can feed an LFO and use the knobs to sequence through different attenuations of the LFO?

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Re: Hinton Instrument SequenceMix

Post by Llouwelyn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:06 am

@beepnsleep

Do you have check this? The Background !

everything you find like application on the module ARP 1050 SequenceMix can do it and more.
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... x/info.htm

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Llouwelyn wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:06 am
@beepnsleep

Do you have check this? The Background !

everything you find like application on the module ARP 1050 SequenceMix can do it and more.
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... x/info.htm
yes, I've seen it! The Hinton version has more features (and better implementation) than the other 1050 inspired modules I've seen in euro. I also think a SequenceMix would go nicely with my ModMix II, though I plan on a MatrixMix first...

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:53 pm
yes, thank you! multiple sounds like a useful option for the bottom.
I like the multiple a lot, it encourages patching the Reference to other destinations (i.e., not just the SequenceMix) in a patch. Note that mine is a mix between Bantam and 3.5mm sockets, very handy as well.

I should note that the MIDI I/O is rather important, too. For now I've directly connected a GearBox MIDI out to the SequenceMix MIDI in. I definitely plan to have actual DIN I/O for the MIDI at the rear of the modular rack eventually... That should be carefully considered.
beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:53 pm
so whatever you feed in the reference input is half normalled to all the channels? e.g. you can feed an LFO and use the knobs to sequence through different attenuations of the LFO?
You got it! The 1-8 knobs set the eight attenuations and then you sequence through that using an analogue or MIDI clock or CV address, MIDI notes, and the switch state buttons.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 pm

flo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 am

I like the multiple a lot, it encourages patching the Reference to other destinations (i.e., not just the SequenceMix) in a patch. Note that mine is a mix between Bantam and 3.5mm sockets, very handy as well.

I should note that the MIDI I/O is rather important, too. For now I've directly connected a GearBox MIDI out to the SequenceMix MIDI in. I definitely plan to have actual DIN I/O for the MIDI at the rear of the modular rack eventually... That should be carefully considered.
yes, Graham explained the importance, namely preset currently only being accessible via MIDI. I decided to go with the multiple as you configured! the 3.5mm jacks will save some adapter cables and a bantam mult will also be indispensable. I decided to check out the GearBox in more depth from your reply and I'll get one as well. it seems like the perfect module to tie my MPC to modular and create the standard divisions I use. Also playing with CV control of play/stop/pause etc to generate complex rhythms! since I was planning on an extra panel for MIDI for the SequenceMix, the GearBox with the larger connections on a separate panel seems a logical consolidation of features.

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Congrats beepnsleep for your futur modules. :party:

About SequenceMix I like the behaviour when I send a gate in to the shift input. No sync requiert, a simple gate or LFO your sequence will take a new sens.

You could use LFO or EG in to the reference input and adjust each knob like you want, Gate > Shift in and another LFO to clock.

Graham said: Shift Out is normalled to Shift In. That is how you get a loop in clocked modes.
It is like an analogue signal, but only has two states, 0V for Off and either +5V or +10V for On. There is a link inside to set the voltage.
Logical inputs accept any analogue signal and have a defined threshold. You can use a slow ramp or noise and it won’t trigger falsely.

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am

Patch with SequenceMix...

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Got my SequenceMix (and friends) yesterday, though it was a few mm deeper than my current case can handle so I had to order standoffs to add to this case. This won't be an issue once my busbars/PSU/frame arrive. I was surprised how useful the gearbox was as a master clock (those buttons :hyper: ) as I won't have any midi devices for the next couple months due to preorder delays
B8749217-9E43-43B2-82E4-C4D249778B25.jpeg

sleestack808
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sleestack808 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 am

I can't understand what this thing does. I need to study the arp module I guess

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 am

Yes and Klee sequencer!

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:21 pm

sleestack808 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 am
I can't understand what this thing does. I need to study the arp module I guess
Think of it as dual 4:1 or single 8:1 mixers where you can sequence the "mutes" for each channel using various methods :yay: With an offset multed to all channels (i.e., the standard configuration without any patching) and "Single" mode (i.e., just one channel active at a time), you get something like an 8 step sequencer, but you can patch and program it way beyond that :hail: Note that it's also like a sequencing "building block" that is easily scaled up to more channels or all kinds of crazy intermingled patching between several SequenceMixes. I'm not sure yet whether three will be enough eventually :hihi:

For example, I had a crazy filter pinging pattern going lately, with the 1/16 output of the GearBox patched to the Reference input and the SequenceMix being clocked from the GearBox MIDI out, at half the tempo. Then I patched all sorts of outputs to something like six different filter pinging chains, resulting in a crazy electronic percussion pattern that was was extremely jam-ready and very interactive between those voices. Changing up some of the SequenceMix inputs to different divisions from the GearBox was the icing on the cake. Also, you get dynamic pinging triggers this way with the channel attenuators, really amazing!

Also, congrats on the new modules, beepnsleep! I think you will enjoy the combo :goo:

Last edited by flo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:21 pm

(Double post)

sleestack808
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sleestack808 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Over my head. All I can picture is 1-8 different waveforms being played into a filter. Triangle, now Sine, now square. Im clearly missing something

Return to “Eurorack Modules”