MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Poll:Encoders — "acceleration" or select fineness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  

Which would you prefer on your knobs?
Acceleration sensitive — fast movement = coarse, slow = fine
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Sensitivity selection — click on the encoder to toggle between coarse, fine, ultrafine
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Both — select between acceleration or the other three tuning modes
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Poll:Encoders — "acceleration" or select fineness
thor.lucas
Hi,

So as some many have seen, I'm designing a VCO. The waveforms produced by this VCO are fully analog, but I'm merging analog and digital here. Tuning will be done by digitally controlled digipots, which allows me the freedom to use encoders rather than potentiometers.

This is great for a number of reasons. For one, part of my VCO is a circular waveshape selection, which by virtue of being circular, requires an encoder. Also, to conserve space, rather than having coarse and fine knobs, we only require one. This also has the added benefit of giving us arbitrary precision. Ultafine mode? You got it. Super ultra fine? Great!

The downside is clear, though. With encoders, you typically only get 20 clicks per rotation. This is a very low resolution.

So, I have been considering having three modes — coarse, fine, and ultrafine. My encoders are also push buttons. To toggle between modes, simply press the encoder. The coarse mode is one full rotation = the full tuning range, or maybe half of it. Fine might be one click = one semitone. Ultrafine will allow the tuning of cents. Maybe one click = one cent, or at least the finest possible value I can get.

This is fine, I suppose. But I was just playing around on my new midi controller, and I noticed something kind of cool. The rotary encoders it uses are "acceleration" sensitive. Spin it slow, and you get very fine resolution. Spin it fast and you get low resolution, fast moving.

This sounds like a good idea to me. It reduces complexity, LEDs, and reduces the frustration of toggling between tuning modes. Additionally, it just feels more natural.

But I'd like to ask what you guys think? Should we have acceleration, selection, or both even?

Thanks,

Thor
pugix
Mordax Data uses acceleration for settings. Since there are many settings for Data, I suppose this is a good choice. The main problem with it is that I often overshoot the value I want.

I've never seen an accelerated frequency knob on a VCO (not that they don't exist, but I've never seen one). I like the traditional coarse and fine tuning knobs.

Having three resolutions, set by pressing the encoder, would be OK, as long as there is a clear indication of what resolution you're in, such as a multi-color LED. Noise Engineering Sync Iter uses an encoder push to switch between coarse and fine, with an LED to indicate the state. (But I wish they hadn't made a LONG press on the same encoder do something unrelated.)
thor.lucas
pugix wrote:
Mordax Data uses acceleration for settings. Since there are many settings for Data, I suppose this is a good choice. The main problem with it is that I often overshoot the value I want.

I've never seen an accelerated frequency knob on a VCO (not that they don't exist, but I've never seen one). I like the traditional coarse and fine tuning knobs.

Having three resolutions, set by pressing the encoder, would be OK, as long as there is a clear indication of what resolution you're in, such as a multi-color LED. Noise Engineering Sync Iter uses an encoder push to switch between coarse and fine, with an LED to indicate the state. (But I wish they hadn't made a LONG press on the same encoder do something unrelated.)

Thanks! Yeah I was planning on having LEDs indicate which state you're in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1