MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for good 61 key midi controller with aftertouch ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Looking for good 61 key midi controller with aftertouch ?
h4ndcrafted
There are some nice NI boards with fatar beds, used to use a Blofeld .

Are there any half decent ones for under £200 , must have aftertouch.
hinterlands303
I picked up a Kawai K1 ii for this reason. It was $125. I didn't think the aftertouch would work but miraculously it does! I tried out quite a few controllers and eventually realized that I was better off picking up a used keyboard and the K1 fit the bill. It has some nice sounds as well!
h4ndcrafted
I shall take a look , ty!

As far as modern masters go, it seems the only ones with aftertouch are the flagships

So it’s Arturia , Native Instruments and Novation.

The Novation sl mark 3 is by far the most interesting, but also the most expensive.
The N.I. Seems the best value , with its fatar keybed , althoughI happen to like Novations keybeds. And the Arturia seems solid with its metal construction, like a Waldorf.

From my experience the Novation will have the better aftertouch response too.
I could use my Argon 8 when it’s released, prob next year now, but that’s only 37.

So, yes maybe an older board is an option, I just worry about condition.
If I was willing to spend over £500 , the Novation has two lots of CV and an 8 track sequencer , although I think it is quantised sadly.
22tape
Looking for the same!

I'm waiting for the Lumi Keys to hit the market, and for the reviews to come in, especially in regards to the quality of aftertouch. You'd have to buy three of them to get to 61 keys though--

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playlumi/lumi-the-smarter-way-to- learn-and-play-music

I'm considering the Numa Compact 2 or 2x as well, 88 keys though--

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2/
commodorejohn
If you don't need poly aftertouch, the DX7 is hands-down the nicest keybed I've ever found in the 61-key range - get the DX7-II or the original with an E! mod if you want to use it with other MIDI equipment. As a bonus, you get a goddamn glorious digital synthesizer into the bargain grin
hinterlands303
h4ndcrafted wrote:

As far as modern masters go, it seems the only ones with aftertouch are the flagships

The Novation sl mark 3 is by far the most interesting, but also the most expensive.
The N.I. Seems the best value , with its fatar keybed , althoughI happen to like Novations keybeds. And the Arturia seems solid with its metal construction, like a Waldorf.

I could use my Argon 8 when it’s released, prob next year now, but that’s only 37.

If I was willing to spend over £500 , the Novation has two lots of CV and an 8 track sequencer , although I think it is quantised sadly.

FYI - the novation only transmits after touch over the pads. also I found there to be quite a few bugs with the unit. I had wanted to use it as a straight up midi/cv converter (which it should be able to do in thru mode) but it would randomly send note value changes transposing whatever sequence I was passing through at completely random (or at least utterly non-rhythmic) points. It was super weird, and even kind of beautiful, but completely unworkable. Also the cv outputs had buffering issues - plugging a cable into one of the gate inputs would affect the amount of voltage coming from the cv outputs (increasing the pitch by a half step). It might of just been my unit but I was pretty disappointed - especially since I really like Novation as a company.
DiscoDevil
Roland A800 Pro.
h4ndcrafted
hinterlands303 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

FYI - the novation only transmits after touch over the pads. also I found there to be quite a few bugs with the unit. I had wanted to use it as a straight up midi/cv converter (which it should be able to do in thru mode) but it would randomly send note value changes transposing whatever sequence I was passing through at completely random (or at least utterly non-rhythmic) points. It was super weird, and even kind of beautiful, but completely unworkable. Also the cv outputs had buffering issues - plugging a cable into one of the gate inputs would affect the amount of voltage coming from the cv outputs (increasing the pitch by a half step). It might of just been my unit but I was pretty disappointed - especially since I really like Novation as a company.

srsly it only does aftertouch over the pads ? That’s a total deal breaker for me confused too bad Iwas leaning towards this as well.
It def doesn’t have aftertouch ? The review I just read said the keys have it, you sure you don’t mean poly aftertouch or the launchkey.

Sorry to question, but I’m confused now.
h4ndcrafted
DiscoDevil wrote:
Roland A800 Pro.

I looked at this, but the LCD screen put me off. What do you like about it. I’m assuming it’s well built being Roland.
DiscoDevil
h4ndcrafted wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:
Roland A800 Pro.

I looked at this, but the LCD screen put me off. What do you like about it. I’m assuming it’s well built being Roland.

Yeah. Solid build. I like the keybed. Fairly feature rich. It's a great controller.
hinterlands303
h4ndcrafted wrote:
hinterlands303 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

srsly it only does aftertouch over the pads ? That’s a total deal breaker for me confused too bad Iwas leaning towards this as well.
It def doesn’t have aftertouch ? The review I just read said the keys have it, you sure you don’t mean poly aftertouch or the launchkey.

Sorry to question, but I’m confused now.

It seems you are right about the aftertouch and I was the one confused. I tried out so many midi keyboard looking for the right one that I must have gotten mixed up. Sorry about that! Carry on.
h4ndcrafted
Np , it gets confusing with places trying to pass boards off with aftertouch , then you investigate further and it’s n the pads only. Digital village does it.
ludotex
61 keys with aftertouch:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/master_keyboards_up_to_61_keys.html?feature- 11888=true&filter=true&oa=pra&price-first=0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1