MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend seq vs Modemachines Seq12
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Polyend seq vs Modemachines Seq12
adolfgottmann
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for an HW sequencer for my eurorack rig and desktop synths. I have a Squarp pyramid...killer machine, but I don't like the workflow and the absence of a bird-eye visual feedback of what's going is really killing my creative process.
An obvious candidate is the Polyend Seq. Seems very user friendly and inspirational, and sexy too! Not cheap though.
I recently discovered the Seq12 and I would like to know if you guys have some insight on how it compares to the polyend, in terms of immediacy and features.
Thanks
lootacow
I have a Polyend Seq and a Squarp Pyramid and I very much like the combo. I use one of those Orange Squeeze midi merge devices to allow up to four midi inputs to be merged into the single midi in of the Squarp. I currently have the Seq, Keystep, Moon Modular 552, and IPad going midi into the Squarp Pyramid. I record the midi data from all controllers, and I have a nice Lemur template on the iPad to control the midi effects that are in each channel of the Pyramid. So far the workflow is amazing (once you get the routing configuration sorted out). The only thing I have to figure out how to work around is that when I have a sequence playing on the Seq, and then I press record on the Pyramid, it records and plays back what the Seq is sending. Now, I understand that this is what it’s supposed to do, but although I have the midi track that the Seq is playing disabled on the Pyramid, it automatically enables the channel on the Pyramid. This results in a loop of the midi data from the Seq that’s recorded into the Pyramid, as well as the Seq still playing the sequence. This results in phasing of the sound, and I then have to delete the midi note date on the Pyramid or turn the midi track off again. I’m not sure why it always automatically enables after live recording. But it’s a very minor issue, and I’m sure I can get it sorted.
adolfgottmann
Interesting. So you basically use the Pyramid as a midi looper + midi effect?
Koryo
adolfgottmann wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for an HW sequencer for my eurorack rig and desktop synths.

I would have a serious look at the Synthstrom - Deluge

Not only is it a way more than competent sequencer with conditionals, probability, key, mode, copy/paste/undo... it can launch tracks, arrange songs, looper and a full sampler and synth.

lootacow
adolfgottmann wrote:
Interesting. So you basically use the Pyramid as a midi looper + midi effect?

Kind of, yes. But I write a series of patterns and then chain them together to form full tracks. Once all midi data is in (aside from the midi notes from the Seq), there aren’t anymore issues. It’s a very good combo for sure. Lemur totally rounded out the way my whole sequencing system with how it gives me total control over the midi effects of the Pyramid.
adolfgottmann
Koryo wrote:
adolfgottmann wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for an HW sequencer for my eurorack rig and desktop synths.

I would have a serious look at the Synthstrom - Deluge

Not only is it a way more than competent sequencer with conditionals, probability, key, mode, copy/paste/undo... it can launch tracks, arrange songs, looper and a full sampler and synth.

Yes I took Deluge into consideration, seen all videos out there, but two things about it put me off:
1) too many key combinations 2) it does too much (sequencer, synth, sampler ecc),
but it's a really stunning piece of kit, I can understand why so many people swear by it, just not my cup of tea, thanks for the suggestion, anyway!
adolfgottmann
Any seq12 users around?
ckwjr
I haven't used the Pyramid, but the immediacy and user-friendliness of the Polyend Seq paired with the CV outs and extensive MIDI effects of the Hermod make a potent albeit expensive combination. Whatever it's strengths and weaknesses as a sequencer, the Hermod is worth considering as an alternative to something like the Poly or Mutant Brain.

Big investment though for both.
lootacow
I have both the Hermod and the Seq, and I can definitely say it’s a nice combo. I have the Pyramid as well, and all three of them work in a chain. Very intuitive and fun setup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1