MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vacuum forming panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Vacuum forming panels
Gibran
Anyone ever tried ?
jorg
Panels are flat. Why would they need to be formed?
Jarno
+1
You could use it to form some ribs to add stiffness to an otherwise floppy panel, but this reduces the available area to place controls and connections. Also, not sure if it would look good (thinking of the 3d printed panels that Jan Ostman did).
Flounderguts
what material do you want to form?

I can see doing a veneer on a substrate for a rack system. For a desktop instrument, you might want to form a curved piece.

Remember that vacuum forming is really pressure forming, using atmospheric pressure as the clamp. In many cases, it is simply more practical to use a clamping system. But if you are making something with a compound curve or undercut, then a pressure clamp is great. I have had good luck with pressure pots as well.

More info needed...but I may be able to help...I build lots of funky enclosures.

Flounderguts
ashleym
jorg wrote:
Panels are flat. Why would they need to be formed?

And that is why we don't see innovation in synthesiser design. (obviously with the greatest respect Miley Cyrus )

Think Polymoog or Sonic 6. Synthesisers can be improved with a little relief
MindMachine
Looking at a Micromoog panel...

hmmm.....
andrewF
Blobject panels! Do it.
love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1