MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000
tta

Hello to all the Muffsters out there at the Muff habitat.

I’m happy to let you know that we are releasing ECHOZ ZVERB and the Z5000, our compact 8HP effect modules. This is also the first time we will offer modules with black panels yooo wow. When we started working on these modules ECHOZ was the main thing but so many new things evolved from that: new algorithms, new techniques to route signals through multiple effects in one program, and a new analog clock circuity to drive the DSP chip and more. One thing leads to the other, that’s a good and healthy R&D process.

With the Z5000 we went all in for a multi effect that covers a large variety of effects, there is everything in there, from basic to lush to odd to experimental. More than 12 years ago the original Z5000 was Tiptop’s first module, now all these years after we are using the same model number but with qualities far beyond anything we could imagine so many years ago.

In ZVERB we created a dedicated Reverb module that covers effects by the decade (70s/80s/90s) it was popular or invented, but takes it even beyond that point with extra effects such as delays, pitch shifting, chorusing, formant filters set in different points of either the feedback path the input or the output . The sound quality of the various reverbs is impressive, and it is so easy to find a sweet spot.

ECHOZ turned out to be far more interesting than we originally planned. The original idea was to make a great sounding delay effects module, we’ve been designing delays for years, but once again going off road on some of the algorithms had lead us into new territories, some borrowed from the Z-DSP, and some totally new. We wanted to include a sync input but that just didn’t work out well and disrupts the natural flow of the delays in the buffers. We didn’t want to compromise the benefit of using the analog clock in favor of sync so we decide it will be left out. Scaling the parameter knobs made it very easy to sync the delays manually and keep that high sound quality

Under the hood is the Spin FV1, which is a fantastic chip if you know how to use its benefits and work around the quirks. It has just the right amount of power needed for time domain effects and excels at doing that even over much powerful general purpose MCU+DSP chips, so we decide to stick to it in this series.

I expect some might ask about similarities with the Z-DSP. Although both use the same DSP chip the Z-DSP is designed as open source and extendable platform and is equipped with extra features and a display, while the 8HP modules are designed mostly as compact in size end-of-the-chain effects and interface between the modular and line level gear.

I hope you enjoy them.

$200 each, shipping to dealers now! Check online for pre-orders. Audio demos and more info here:

http://tiptopaudio.com/zverb-echoz-z5000/

DMR
No more silver aluminum panels?
deftinwulf
Congrats! These are certainly exciting to me, as someone who has wanted a Z-DSP for a long time but never been able to free up all the rack real estate.

I'm sure many will be very happy with the option to have the black/red/gold scheme panels, too. For me, the white/green/yellow is still where it's at. applause

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "Scaling the parameter knobs made it very easy to sync the delays manually"? I prefer to use clockable delays in most of my music but am intrigued by what this different approach could mean. nanners
continuum
deftinwulf wrote:

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "Scaling the parameter knobs made it very easy to sync the delays manually"? I prefer to use clockable delays in most of my music but am intrigued by what this different approach could mean. nanners

The variable analog clock makes external sync impossible to do since you don't know the exact sample rate of the clock. For some of the basic delays the Time pot is scaled in a way to make sync to certain tempo ranges easier to dial in. There are also delays with intentionally limited delay times for effects like Karplus-Strong, flange etc easier.

The ZDSP has a clocked delay card if you need sync.
cackland
Very nice. A contender to Endorphin.es range
Severed head
ZVERB

30 離 (离)
the clinging: radiance.
breaking free, Departing.
the earthly things surrounded by the heavenly
they burst to flames, separating, breaking free
into another state of being.
-----------------------
29 坎
The Abysmal Gorge
where water naturally travels
to the lowest point.
traversing Downward
seemingly forever.
towards the abyss
the depth, not the surface.
although captivated endlessly pressing to move by the force of its own will.
ever downward through the ground.
a pit, a hole.
or trapped,
moving out of our control,
a crisis in a mysterious way.
-----------------------
fire over fire water over water...
mdoudoroff
So, if you’re planning to patch the outs back into Eurorack gear, you may need to run it though something to add gain first?

Is there any algorithmic overlap between the new Z5000 and the ZVERB or ECHOZ?
deftinwulf
Severed head wrote:
ZVERB

30 離 (离)

-----------------------
29 坎
The Abysmal Gorge
to the lowest point.
traversing Downward
seemingly forever.
towards the abyss
a pit, a hole.
or trapped,
-----------------------

Ah, so that's what those pictograms mean on the ZVERB? It's from the I Ching? Where is that particular translation you posted from? I found it moving and want to read more... love
Glitchmachines
Congrats to Gur and team!

(also: the video is superb!)
Severed head
deftinwulf wrote:
Severed head wrote:
ZVERB

30 離 (离)

-----------------------
29 坎
The Abysmal Gorge
to the lowest point.
traversing Downward
seemingly forever.
towards the abyss
a pit, a hole.
or trapped,
-----------------------

Ah, so that's what those pictograms mean on the ZVERB? It's from the I Ching? Where is that particular translation you posted from? I found it moving and want to read more... love

they are two hexagrams, #'s 30 and 29 trigrams fire/water
I was just guessing there was some kinda connection from my first glance.
those were just from my understanding of ("the book of changes" ) I Ching
that I got out of an old book that I use. for my friends grandpa. its fun to throw stones and see what happens if your into that occult thing. a sorta eastern divination tool.
glad it was enjoyable.
but
this one seems good.
http://the-iching.com

edit: some auto correct corrections
Tonescape
Wow, they look great! A shame about the sync option on the delay though.
continuum
mdoudoroff wrote:
So, if you’re planning to patch the outs back into Eurorack gear, you may need to run it though something to add gain first?

The output won't be Euro VCO levels of 10vpp but it is certainly enough to use inside the modular. The design focused on the most common uses of send/return and end of chain duties.

Quote:

Is there any algorithmic overlap between the new Z5000 and the ZVERB or ECHOZ?

A few of the ECHOZ and ZVERB are in Z5000, but the former two go a lot deeper into delay and reverb than the multi-fx (24 vs 8 programs). Check the manual for descriptions of all the programs:

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/Tiptop_Audio_fx_manual.pdf
continuum
Tonescape wrote:

The variable analog clock does so many nice things to the delays that it was an easy decision to go for that.
zvukoprocessor
Tonescape wrote:

I used to really like synced delays but over time started to appreciate free running delays. i find the results to be more musical when time is set by ear.
In any case one should have many good delay modules of all kinds Rockin' Banana!

Off to get me some EchoZ
Bobby
Is Sean Costello involved in the verb at all?
continuum
Bobby wrote:
Is Sean Costello involved in the verb at all?

The algorithms are entirely my work - all 24 of them on each of the 3 modules.
joem
From the manual:
Quote:
- Black version: +12V@130mA -12V@20mA
- White version: +12V@100mA -12V@20mA

I'm not criticizing or anything, just genuinely curious: How come the power is a tiny bit more for the black version? (My guess: different LEDs?)

The modules look great btw! I think I'm going to end up with at least one of them.
joem
Another question: What's the toggle switch do? I don't think I saw it mentioned in the manual, but I'm assuming it's something related to the fidelity?
Funky40
from the first post from tiptop:
Quote:
while the 8HP modules are designed mostly as compact in size end-of-the-chain effects and interface between the modular and line level gear.

edited: I see this as a drawback.
To me, most ext. mixers, even the crappy small ones take modular level just fine.
And Delays are not necessarily patched at the end of the signal chain.

my personal experience over the years was:
that i had several very good modules, but i avoided it to patch them due to weak output levels.
YM-andExperience-MV

edit: size, price and optics look good !
continuum
joem wrote:
From the manual:
Quote:
- Black version: +12V@130mA -12V@20mA
- White version: +12V@100mA -12V@20mA

I'm not criticizing or anything, just genuinely curious: How come the power is a tiny bit more for the black version? (My guess: different LEDs?)

Extra LEDs under the panel in the black version.

Quote:
Another question: What's the toggle switch do? I don't think I saw it mentioned in the manual, but I'm assuming it's something related to the fidelity?

Switches the middle CV input from the Time parameter to the Fidelity clock speed. Fidelity can be modulated at audio rate for some pretty intense tones.
Junk Rhythm
continuum wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

The output won't be Euro VCO levels of 10vpp but it is certainly enough to use inside the modular. The design focused on the most common uses of send/return and end of chain duties.

Not entirely a deal breaker but also a bit of a bummer. I personally would have preferred the 10vpp modular level and then compensated for the level change outside the box.
Parnelli
Very nice! thumbs up
Pighood
I'm good for a verb and a z5k
behndy
Junk Rhythm wrote:
continuum wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Not entirely a deal breaker but also a bit of a bummer. I personally would have preferred the 10vpp modular level and then compensated for the level change outside the box.

yeah. dampens my excitement a tad as well. they do look amazing though.
dumbledog
Severed head wrote:
ZVERB

30 離 (离)
-----------------------
29 坎
The Abysmal Gorge
to the lowest point.
traversing Downward
seemingly forever.
towards the abyss
a pit, a hole.
or trapped,
-----------------------

Nice to see that Whimsical Raps wrote the manual.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4