MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 208 Envelope Follower drum solo 1979 DAO & SMP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 208 Envelope Follower drum solo 1979 DAO & SMP
ritchiedrums


Two reasons for this post:

1) 1979 Buchla modules are a perfect sonic addition to any system!

2) The 208 Envelope Follower doesn't get mentioned often:
it is a bit tricky to get the levels set for useful tracking.
Once it is set very cool things happen.

This is a drum solo I recorded over the summer into the 208.
Top of the 1979 DAO with 281h LFO into color & timbre is going into 1 LPG
with a 281h envelope, mixed with the 208 output.
Everything into SMP recorded stereo
lumin
Interesting usage.
I love using the envelope follower in a similar fashion but use sampled drum loops or my congas. Gating LPG 2 can bring out some nice things rhythmically.

Question. What is the SMP doing? I see you are freezing it with a pulse, but maybe with the raw audio of the drum solo playing on top, I am unable to decipher how it is affecting your patch. Thanks!
Biom
Thank you for taking the time to record this patch!
Very inspiring!
I also join lumin in asking the same question about the SMP
ritchiedrums
Here is just the Buchla.

also drums are coming through LPG2 in the middle section....
@green
ritchiedrums wrote:

1979 Buchla modules are a perfect sonic addition to any system!


couldn't agree more. every day I can't help but want to send Wes a thank you email. It may sound weird (bracing myeself), but I feel like these make more sense in Buchla than they do in Euro. I get why they were released in Euro by mutable, bigger market, yada, yada. They are perfect for my sound as well and I am happy that they exist. They will not be a fad for me. two braids, one space = live improv small system necessity.
Biom
@green wrote:
I feel like these make more sense in Buchla than they do in Euro.


This is true for every good euro module, being used in 4u
@green
Biom wrote:
@green wrote:
I feel like these make more sense in Buchla than they do in Euro.


This is true for every good euro module, being used in 4u


hihi
sempervirent
@green wrote:
couldn't agree more. every day I can't help but want to send Wes a thank you email.

Nice, thanks a lot. And thanks to you and @ritchiedrums for posting your videos, very cool to see how people are using the modules.

@green wrote:
It may sound weird (bracing myeself), but I feel like these make more sense in Buchla than they do in Euro. I get why they were released in Euro by mutable, bigger market, yada, yada.

Interestingly enough, your comment reminds me of an interview with Mutable from 2015 where a preference for larger panel sizes and banana jacks was stated:

"Interestingly, I am not so happy with the technical aspects of the Eurorack format itself – I would have preferred slightly larger panels, banana jacks, standardized panel sizes (half, single, double width… say 8, 16 and 32 HP), an internal 3.3V supply… Closer to the Kilpatrick format."
@green
sempervirent wrote:

Interestingly enough, your comment reminds me of an interview with Mutable from 2015 where a preference for larger panel sizes and banana jacks was stated


Thanks for posting this article. It is interesting that we probably would have enjoyed designing his interfaces for buchla more. I was thinking that the territory he explores might be super exciting to Buchla users. A Resonator, Contact Mic as a module, Modal Synthesis, the types of algorithms he focuses on for his macro oscillators, the stages module!, etc. All seem right at home amongst the existing buchla classics.
ritchiedrums
and for those of you that might like seeing drums Mr. Green

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group