MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expressive E Osmose
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Expressive E Osmose
Trilo
Expressive E, the makers of the Touche' are releasing a keyboard next year where every key sort of acts like a mini Touche! It's sound engine is the EaganMatrix from Haken. I guess this is a collaboration.

If you reserve one with a $299 down payment, you'll end up getting 40% off the retail price. I jumped on that.

[/img]Any thoughts?

Expressive E Osmose Synthtopia article

Expressive E Osmose

fishphacurr
Yeah this is really cool. I got to briefly play around on a continuum once, and as much as I'd love to own one, I don't know if one would ever make it into my budgeting. This Osmose is still high for someone like me to justify spending without feeling stupid (non professional, music is a hobby, which I don't have enough hobby time in my life these days LOL)... but whoa the demo video I saw was pretty amazing... LOVE THIS. Really cool controller.
OldManZero
I have a touche and am a fan. I'm basically expecting this controller to just be 49 little touche units which account for the price. I was a little bummed that the Osmose doesn't seem to have CV out on the unit like the touche. Seems we'll have to use MIDI MPE to get the control out of it and into our rack.

Any votes for a good MPE to CV rack module?

Maybe someone will be inspired to develop a (hopefully low HP) MPE module as a result.
Sinamsis
I'm interested in this. Was somewhat disappointed with the Rorie Seaboard Rise.

I don't think you need a specific module for MPE, any flexible MIDI to CV converter should do. I found the FH-1 was too convoluted to program when I had my Rise. I think the Shuttle Control would be ideal. Not sure how MPE is implemented here but I assume each note is transmitted over a specific MIDI channel. So a MIDI to CV converter where you could easily assign MIDI channels, pitch CV, gate, aftertouch, etc would be ideal
rowsbywoof
Seems pretty cool for the intro price. Looks like a really solid controller, and I real dig the look of it.
Blingley
Very interested in this. Seems much better suited for piano/keyboard repertoire than the Seaboard. I also really like the looks of it, and it looks comfortable to play. The seaboard's surface being in the recess instead of raised like a regular keyboard felt a bit odd to me. Like you really needed to reach over the instrument to play it, a bit more like a zither than a keyboard, though ymmv.

At this price point (esp with the 40% off) the access to EaganMatrix as a sound engine is also superb. This would've been a good buy even just as a controller. thumbs up
dubonaire
One of the best promotional videos I've seen. I just put a deposit down.
mmp
If you buy a Continuum, the upgrade from a 2X DSP to a 6X DSP is $740.00 alone. The Osmose comes with the 6X DSP, making it a bargain in terms of access to the Eagan Matrix synthesis package.
peripatitis
They might share the engine but clearly the continuum is a different instrument being continuous and all. I don't see that here.
I preordered though, I can't afford the continnum and this looks like a great take on that idea. Not having cv I/o especially since the e touche has is a bad idea though..
Phil999
Endorphines Shuttle Control has MPE, and can be set to the number of voices you want. I'm using it with the Sensel Morph, mostly duophonic, with pitch, gate, velocity, aftertouch, and y-axis per voice. For 4 voices you will need to restrict the mapping to two parameters per voice, next to pitch and gate. 3 voices would work for full control (3x5=15).

Yes it looks like this is a very good controller, with excellent synth engine on board. Although I don't have the money for a controller I don't really need but want, I tried to pre-order. But they only accept credit card, and I don't have one. Even Paypal insists on credit cards although my balance is over 300SFR for the deposit. So I cannot buy it. Maybe it's better that way.
onthebandwagon
Phil999 wrote:
Endorphines Shuttle Control has MPE, and can be set to the number of voices you want. I'm using it with the Sensel Morph, mostly duophonic, with pitch, gate, velocity, aftertouch, and y-axis per voice. For 4 voices you will need to restrict the mapping to two parameters per voice, next to pitch and gate. 3 voices would work for full control (3x5=15).

Yes it looks like this is a very good controller, with excellent synth engine on board. Although I don't have the money for a controller I don't really need but want, I tried to pre-order. But they only accept credit card, and I don't have one. Even Paypal insists on credit cards although my balance is over 300SFR for the deposit. So I cannot buy it. Maybe it's better that way.

You likely can get a PP debit card which works anyplace a MasterCard is accepted btw.
Umcorps
peripatitis wrote:
I can't afford the continnum and this looks like a great take on that idea. Not having cv I/o especially since the e touche has is a bad idea though..

The latest firmware update for the ContinuuMini introduced a new feature where you can configure the pedal input to accept 2 CVs instead. They need padding down a bit cos the range is only up to 3v and they are inputs not outputs but it helps with integration a bit.

Don't know if they will do the same with the Osmose but I wouldn't expect the hardware to be a barrier.
Karl_Joseph
Preorder is a massive bargain considering the sound engine is built in. I always dismissed the Roli as i was under the impression it had to be used with a computer. Haken is just out of my price range.
nangu
I have been unable to find any info about the actual final cost.

So if you decide not to pay 8 million dollars for the final product, does that mean they get to keep your $299 deposit and tell you to go pound sand?
Blingley
nangu wrote:

So if you decide not to pay 8 million dollars for the final product, does that mean they get to keep your $299 deposit and tell you to go pound sand?

Site wrote:
Until December 31st Osmose final price 1079$/€

//

When your unit is ready to ship, pay the remaining 780$/€ + shipping cost
rowsbywoof
nangu wrote:

Seriously helps to click the link and read the literally only info on the reservation page.

It's all spelled out crystal clear in three gigantic numbered boxes, as well as a blurb on the bottom saying, "Worried you might change your mind? Don't worry! You are absolutely free to cancel your reservation at any time by contacting osmose@expressivee.com.
Expressive E will fully refund your deposit within ten (10) business days."

Which, arguably isn't crystal clear, but looking at the terms of the pre-order they come flat out and say

"Neither your reservation, placement on the waiting list, nor the payment of the Reservation Fee constitutes any legally binding offer or agreement between you and Expressive E. In particular, no (offer for the) sale agreement with regard to any Expressive E product shall commence before the agreed date. Until a definitive sale is concluded between you and Expressive E, you may:

a) Cancel your reservation at any time by contacting order-support@expressivee.com. In this case, Expressive E will refund your Reservation Fee within ten (10) business days. "

But if you have 8mil to spend, I can definitely find something much cooler for you to sink some money into. Send me a PM and I'll take the day off of work and we can go shopping.
Karl_Joseph
The snark is reaching gearslut levels.
nangu
Sorry. Wasn’t trying to be snarky- just hadn’t found the number. Carry on..

I’ll shut up now.
Karl_Joseph
nangu wrote:

I’ll shut up now.

Haha. Not you. I’m gonna turn down my snark too tho. Carry on.

I’m real excited about this.
Phil999
onthebandwagon wrote:

You likely can get a PP debit card which works anyplace a MasterCard is accepted btw.

thanks. It turned out that I got billed in Euro, not in Dollar. I have around 325 SFR in my Paypal account, and 299 Euro are around 328 SFR. That's why Paypal wants to see a credit card.

Now I wonder how I could find a way to get billed in Dollar? That would reduce the price significantly, around 10% less.

But I hesitate if I can justify the purchase, even for reduced price, and even when paid in Dollars. Maybe I just wait a couple of years and hope for a second-hand deal for 700 Dollar or so.
rowsbywoof
Karl_Joseph wrote:
nangu wrote:

I’ll shut up now.

LOL I almost put my response in [snark] tags [/snark], but that seemed almost too snarky. At least my snark was filled with an actual helpful answer, so probably not Gearslutz worthy.

Serious, though, the more I see and hear, the more I’m tempted. It’s a hell of a package for the entry price. I don’t know if I am going to be able to resist the preorder. I have no idea where I will put it... but this is a really compelling instrument with the built in synth engine.
Karl_Joseph
rowsbywoof wrote:
Karl_Joseph wrote:
nangu wrote:

I’ll shut up now.

LOL I almost put my response in [snark] tags [/snark], but that seemed almost too snarky. At least my snark was filled with an actual helpful answer, so probably not Gearslutz worthy.

Serious, though, the more I see and hear, the more I’m tempted. It’s a hell of a package for the entry price. I don’t know if I am going to be able to resist the preorder. I have no idea where I will put it... but this is a really compelling instrument with the built in synth engine.

Stop resisting. If you don’t, you will kick yourself when you are overcome with GAS and have to pay the full price... which is still way less than a continuum but still a a lot of money.

Do it.
whyfarer
mmp wrote:
If you buy a Continuum, the upgrade from a 2X DSP to a 6X DSP is $740.00 alone. The Osmose comes with the 6X DSP, making it a bargain in terms of access to the Eagan Matrix synthesis package.

I noticed this! I had been thinking about getting a continuumini for the eagan matrix engine alone (to pair with a linnstrument), but then this shows up with 24 polyphony (aka 6x DSP) and a very cool looking expressive keys controller, AND it seems like some of the sound engine params will be real-time adjustable with knobs and wheels... I jumped on the pre-order bandwagon. applause

And the 300$ (refundable) deposit now means I actually have time to save for the rest. Very nice of them
onthebandwagon
whyfarer wrote:

And the 300$ (refundable) deposit now means I actually have time to save for the rest. Very nice of them

I was thinking the same and if when you get it for some reason you don’t like it the chance of easily reselling it without a loss is almost guaranteed.
bmot
I'm in, just paid the 299€ deposit. Now time to sell some things, including my Roli Seaboard Block...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3