MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 208 as a starting point?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 208 as a starting point?
rklem
Looking at the 208C I'm wondering if it would be a good starting point into the Buchla world? I'd love to hear some experiences from those of you who built a bigger system based on a 208 or Easel: Does this path make sense in retrospect? Did you keep the 208 or did you sell it pretty soon to finance other 200e modules?
ritchiedrums
I will always have a 208 in my system.
It is an INSTRUMENT itself.

Makes branching out easy for me.........
misa
I agree: the 208 is a totally different instrument from the 200e. If you can afford it you won’t want to sell either one of them...wink
mritenburg
I agree that it can be used as an instrument in itself, and it can also be seen as a large complex oscillator in a larger system.
phonkmeister
It's a gateway drug, it's an instrument in itself, it can be integrated in a larger setup, they say it will have some sort of -e preset management. I have a 208r, but if I hadn't, I'd get one as soon as possible.
rklem
I'm afraid of the "gateway drug" part, but... well...
ws9848
I started with an easel and it grew into this...

And then it turned into this...

So yeah, it was a pretty good starting point for me. I still have the easel. I put it back in it’s case thumbs up
rklem
This looks awesome – and scary. Just placed my order. I'm doomed...
mestlick
I started with a BEMI Easel, which I still have.
I added a cabinet with 4 panels of 4 units of 200r, and then 8 panels of Serge.
I have these setup as 3 separate systems. I use them individually or together in various combinations.

I still make music with just the 208 on occasion.

So:
A. The 208 is an excellent starting point, and an excellent instrument on its own.
B. Things can get out of hand quickly.
stevenb
I've had my Easel for 4 years, and love it. It really is an instrument, though an expandable one.
I've got a 248 MARF arriving in a few weeks, and the Easel along with the MARF and the Portablelabz 208 Toolbox/Bob combo should make for some interesting explorations. The Bob gives you destinations for all those triggers :-)

Next comes the pesky 259e
rklem
Thanks for all the helpful answers! As said, I've order a 208 Command now.

Could anyone please advice me on how many audio/banana cables in which length and how many shorting bars I'd need to get started?

I'm based in Germany (Berlin), so I think https://www.samodular.com/browse-for/cables/ would be a good resource?
misa
I was asking myself the same question.

I bought:

2 tiny Jax- 6,35 mm (große Klinke)
10 shorting bars (an eBay package)
10 black short bananas
10 semi short orange bananas

If you are planning to use a card like the synthi card you will need at least one (better have a backup) Tini-Tini cable and a longer banana (yellow, also better have a backup!)
rklem
Thanks misa. I just noticed that there's no internal audio patching needed, so no tiny Jax to tiny Jax cables.

On the shorting bars: There are Pomona MDP-S, MDP-S0, MDP-S2, MDP-S9. What's the difference – or do all of those work?

Greetings to Cologne!
misa
Yes there are differences between them. Some don’t work as they don’t short or something. MDP-S-9 are the correct ones.

Of course you don’t need any tinijax unless you are using a card with an oscillator.
Happyanimal
Starting point or gateway drug?
papz
All MDP-S-x ones are ok.
The S is for "shorting.
The number is the color code : 0 is black, 2 is red, 9 is white.

The MDP-x ones are not shorting and thus not ok for this pupose.
M.Weber
Hey!
Exactly the same question here...
I tested a Easel by a friend I’m totally infected...
At the moment I would prefer the command module, too.
Or would you say, it’s better to buy an 208 (or a clone?!?) module only?
Maybe put it in a little bigger case to expand? But in which way I manage a midi connection? Extra Module? Cv.ocd?

I coming from Eurorack and a total noob at the Moment....
Thank you!
Manu
M.Weber wrote:
Hey!
Exactly the same question here...
I tested a Easel by a friend I’m totally infected...
At the moment I would prefer the command module, too.
Or would you say, it’s better to buy an 208 (or a clone?!?) module only?
Maybe put it in a little bigger case to expand? But in which way I manage a midi connection? Extra Module? Cv.ocd?

I coming from Eurorack and a total noob at the Moment....
Thank you!
Manu

I have a BUSA easel and a Clone 208r/218r, the clone has no midi capabilities and the BUSA has rather limited midi functionality. I haven't used a 208c but if midi is a variable in your workflow, this definitely seems like a viable option. You could also add a 218 or 218r at a later time.

Buchla just put out a few clips that really showcase the 208c's midi functionality. Imo part of the easels "magic" is within it's 218 controller. With the 208c you don't have the 218 but the midi makes possible a wide range of midi controllers with the 208c. Check out the Buchla youtube page for several neat demonstrations.

The 208c also has a bunch of front panel functionality which was only available through use of the program cards on the 208. That being said many of these options are made easily accessible for the 208 with the 208 Toolbox. If you get the regular 208, the Toolbox in indispensable. The 208 Toolbox actually has some added functionality that no version of the 208 has, a CV mixer and an EG delay for example.

Either way, I think the easel is an awesome starting point.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1