MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Portable digital recorders for eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Portable digital recorders for eurorack
musicaespressiva
Is there anyone using a portable recorder for recording in stereo eurorack modular synth?

I already know there are a couple of modules (4ms and alyseum) available, but I'd like to know which models do you use.

Also, I would like to avoid portable recorders with xlr combo inputs, as I would prefer stereo line in mini jack.
Schrank
I just ordered a Tascam DR-05X for that Purpose. I don't have it yet so can't say anything out of experience, but it seems to have some cool feautures like overdubs, timestrech and reverb.
Gribs
I was going to suggest a Sony PCM-M10 but it looks like they are discontinued and any remaining units listed are over-priced. I have one of those and it is exactly what you asked for - no XLR jacks, stereo line in, really good quality, won't break your bank. I lost my first one and bought another. The Sony PCM-D100 would be a pricier option - also with line in and no XLR jacks.
globalwm
Gribs wrote:
The Sony PCM-D100 would be a pricier option - also with line in and no XLR jacks.

At Loop 2018, this was Richard Devine's recommendation also in his workshop. Pricey indeed.

Even though they have 2 x XLR-1/4" combo, 1 x 1/8" TRS (stereo in), I was wondering what the feedback was from Schrank on the Tascam.
electricfence
musicaespressiva wrote:
I would like to avoid portable recorders with xlr combo inputs, as I would prefer stereo line in mini jack.

I'm just curious, but why do you want to avoid the xlr combo inputs?

As far as recommendations go, the Roland R-07 looks like it might work. I have never owned one, but I got to use a friend's briefly, and it was pretty nice. I was impressed by how small and easy it was. I've seen some negative reviews of it on Sweetwater, however.
Richard deHove
A little bit left-field, but how about the 1010 Blackbox?
Koekepan
I have the predecessor of the DR-05X, the DR-05.

It's solid.

It's easy to use and quick to turn on.

It records in good quality, to where the noise floor is well below that of my synths.

It has adjustable gain.

I'm a fan: two thumbs up.

It is not a replacement for a multitrack recorder, but that's not what you were asking about. If you want real multitracking functionality, look at something like (at least) the Tascam DP-03SD, for less than half the price of Sony's PCM-D100.

For my own studio I have a Tascam DP-32SD in addition to the DR-05, and they both do a fine job. I don't know other Tascam products, but their recorders are the real deal.
JankySwitch
Alessandro Cortini used a Zoom H2N and just recorded the room for some of his stuff.

JankySwitch
The timestamp didn't work in that link. He mentions it at 10m 53s ~ish.

https://youtu.be/2MKj_jurDHw?t=10m53s
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1