MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Random*Source Serge oscillator?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author New Random*Source Serge oscillator?
luchog
Just saw this pop up on Modulargrid earlier this week: https://www.modulargrid.net/s/random-source-dual-pco-peak-and-trough

Dual PCO Precision Oscillator, with Peak and Trough, from Random*Source. Not seeing anything about it on the R*S website or Facebook. If legit, this would definitely be a must-have for my rig; but so far haven't found anything saying it's legit.
dksynth
it is on their instagram so dollars to donuts it is legit

harolddonnelly
Looks like it might be legit!

What are peoples thoughts about breaking from the vertical grid structure with the VCOs? I think its kinda cool, feels congruent with the DUSG layout idea.
flipper16
The image has been taken from the Random*Source Instagram account so I would say it's legit... thumbs up

https://www.instagram.com/serge_by_random_source/

R*S are pretty slow in updating their website and Facebook pages.
syncretism
This would be a pretty weird troll.
Honestly, I’d rather a crossfader than a peak and trough, though I get the appeal of the latter. It’s a great thing to add, anyway. I should leave a space free.
luchog
dksynth wrote:
it is on their instagram so dollars to donuts it is legit

I don't really do Instagram, so that explains why I missed it. Glad that it's legit, because it would be really useful to add to my Serge system eventually.

syncretism wrote:
Honestly, I’d rather a crossfader than a peak and trough, though I get the appeal of the latter. It’s a great thing to add, anyway. I should leave a space free.

Personally, I would have preferred a Ring Modulator, but unfortunately they already stuck that on the Waveshaper, which I don't have nearly as much use for.

harolddonnelly wrote:
What are peoples thoughts about breaking from the vertical grid structure with the VCOs? I think its kinda cool, feels congruent with the DUSG layout idea.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other, since I got my start in modular with Eurorack. Can't see any real disadvantage, other than preventing the use of standard banana bridge plugs.
FatRocky
cool for modulation, but why they didn´t put the range switch on nto ( as the one on the animate)? and instead of this they do a matrix mixer or something. Or a dual preamp. Or the frequency sh.
MindMachine
harolddonnelly wrote:

Well it looks like a DUSG layout... so goes well enough.
qwoned
FatRocky wrote:
cool for modulation, but why they didn´t put the range switch on nto ( as the one on the animate)? and instead of this they do a matrix mixer or something. Or a dual preamp. Or the frequency sh.

yeah I agree all three of those options would be much more interesting. I'd add bi-directional switch, active processor, ASR, …
FatRocky
qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

yeah I agree all three of those options would be much more interesting. I'd add bi-directional switch, active processor, ASR, …

I mean i understand they are doing the very essential and original modules first. in that case i´d be happy to hear the VCF 73 by R*S as well ( With TRIG IN mod of course)
ashleym
Potentially very exciting. If the basic circuitry has had a shake up too, then we would be seeing more of the input of Serge's return. To me that would be the main news here.
diophantine
A couple years ago Ralf mentioned to me that they were planning to do a dual PCO in 3 columns like this.

Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.
luchog
diophantine wrote:
Personally I would prefer the range switch on both oscillators, and just the single 1V/Oct input jack (the 2nd one on the top VCO looks a bit out-of-place). IMO that would be more interesting combined with the peak/trough.

Wonder if that means that the bottom one would work well as an LFO.
syncretism
luchog wrote:
diophantine wrote:

Wonder if that means that the bottom one would work well as an LFO.

It definitely does, and the range switch has been sorely missing from the R*S NTOs - too bad, because there's absolutely enough panel room for a switch.
ashleym
ashleym wrote:
Potentially very exciting. If the basic circuitry has had a shake up too, then we would be seeing more of the input of Serge's return. To me that would be the main news here.

Exactly. Otherwise his extremely welcome return could be less rewarding than I’d hoped. It’s the development of the odd bod modules I still hopeful and excited about
The Grump
WHen I spoke with Serge a few months ago, and asked him about getting an NTO, he told me to wait because he had something new in the works. So yes, this is almost certainly legit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1